PDA

View Full Version : Amp Wiring

koatie
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 13:24
I swear Volvo's aren't built to have subs put in them..
I'm having a hard time finding a hole through to the engine bay in my S40 to connect the amp wires to the battery. I've run them through the passenger door hinge and under the bonnet but I'd rather have them tucked safe inside, if possible, any ideas?

beth xx

jonno12
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 13:39
my 850 t5 is thhe same i did what you did and it seems to be ok been 2 months now other than making your own hole or trying to find a way through under the fuse box i dont know of anyother way on volvos

koatie
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 13:41
Its a bit of a pain in the bum, eh? lol

beth xx

jonno12
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 13:53
just a tad looked at going under under the fuse box and went against it as it was a pain so have just left it at the mo ill get round to doing it one day what sort of watts you putting out in the rear

Al115
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 13:55
No probs on my S40 - there's a rubber grommet thing in the bulkhead, pass side under the fusebox, which is what I'm using.

koatie
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 14:07
I think I'll leave it for now, I'm just happy I have some bass :D

I have 2 12" 1000w subs but I'm only running them at 450w each due to having a 1000w amp.. I should really get a better amp but I think I'll break them in slowly..

beth xx

thebadger
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 19:06
I'm a $&^%, my V70 has the battery in the boot! The only tough wiring was the RCA's & the remote, but as I'm an explodder I found some wires I could use as a remote!

As stated ($&^%).

Good luck!

LeeT5
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 14:26
my 850 t5 is thhe same i did what you did and it seems to be ok been 2 months now other than making your own hole or trying to find a way through under the fuse box i dont know of anyother way on volvos

LOL...on the 850, if you look under the drivers side dash (need to undo the row of screws first and remove panel) you will see a rubber boot thing sticking down from bulkhead. You need to locate the other side of that boot in the engine bay, if my memory serves me right it below the brake vacuum servo. This is where you feed your cables etc!!

I don't know about the S40 as i have never owned one. But i think it will be the same type of access point, you just got to look......

jonno12
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 14:32
cheers mate ill have a go at that at the week end

SyKo
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 23:26
i have 2 12inch alpine subs in my boot, running bout 1500w each, though i have put a another battery and running a split charge kit with 0 gauge wire. the 0 gauge is a bit overkill for the split charge, so i am changing it for 4 gauge. got some pics on this link.

1989 740SE Saloon 2.0i (http://gallery.me.com/matt.towell#100095&bgcolor=black&view=grid)

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 23:28
Theres a grommet in the bulk head i foung it quiet easy to wire my amp in

badger1980
Friday 3rd October 2008, 04:34
How easy is it to swap the battery from the front to the back and how much,where from for the 0 gauge wiring cheers gord

SyKo
Friday 3rd October 2008, 09:59
tbh badger it depends what you want. I have 6M of 0 gauge spare here, that cost me £100. Its expensive stuff because its so heavy duty, you can draw up to 4/500 amps accross that cable at that length safely.

It is easy to swap from front to back, but you have to remember the battery has got to be secured so it doesnt move, you MUST have ventilation and an acid drain plate with hole incase anything should happen to it.

With modern cars, the batteries are placed where they are because its more pheasible to have them there.

What i was talking about with my car is i have 2 batteries. I have one under the bonnet which starts the car and runs the electrics, and then i have another (about 5 times the size) in the boot purely for my audio system, as it would drain my start battery in about 5 minutes at full swing. I have a larger alternator to cope with the charging duties when the engine is running and a really heavy duty relay which connects the battery in the boot to the alternator when the car is running. Its quite a tricky system to setup in terms of getting all the wiring correct and safe.

Put it this way, its easy if you knwo what your doing. It is not a job for the 'diy' stereo person.

Matt

badger1980
Saturday 4th October 2008, 01:03
im seriously contemplating changing all the wiring in the engine bay ie all the power and earths as most of mine seems to be getting affected by age and heat and i was going to run a lengh from my battery to boot for my amps so i know there will be very little drop if any when i splice off it cheers gord