PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump relay

cherry1809
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 10:08
Car sometimes cuts out when hot and won't start for a few minutes. It seems fine after it's done it once and has only ever cut out once when cold.
It only seems to do it if i've been doing short journeys, switching the engine on and off in a short space of time.
Been told on here it sounds like the fuel pump relay, pump itself isn't making any nasty noises.
Went round Kastners yesterday and was told the 850's didn't have a relay issue, only the older 700 and 900's, although they did say it sounded like a relay problem :parhmph:
He suggested booking it in for diognostic check (yeah right) as i could spend £30+vat on a new relay and it may not be that. I've got no codes showing on the underbonnet checker.
I'm gonna find another relay to try first but, where the hell is it?

Alan M
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 10:16
I'm not sure which one it is (there are a few together) but I think it is above the radiator under the slam panel at the front of the car.

Al115
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 11:12
If it's the same relay as for the Phase 1 V70s, I have one from my old T5 sitting on my desk here! Let me know if you want it.

Rufe
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 11:37
these were never a common problem like on the 700/900 series, though we have sold them in the past. i sold one the end of last week, a pink relay with "103" on it, located in the main fuse box in the relays next to the fuse panel. This is the same fuel pump relay as found on S70, C70 and V70 p1's

Part number is 9434225, this retails at £32.20 inc vat, i can supply it for a little less but they are not returnable (same go's for all relays unfortunately). Our Price is £27.37 plus £1.14 postage 2nd class recorded delivery, and if ordered by 1pm i will get it posted out the same day.

Simon

readview
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 11:38
Hi,you need to undo the four torx screws that hold the fuse box cover down(at the base of the screen on the o/s),the relay is under there.The fuel pump relay is marked as such and is pink,about 1" square and 2" deep.It does sound like a relay fault and although not common,we have had cause to replace these in the past.

Rufe
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 11:43
here you go, found this diagram of its location, number "103"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/rufe_v6/fusebox.jpg

Simon

cherry1809
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 16:00
Thanks people, found it. :)

Al115, how much do you want delivered to East Devon?
If it works out okay, i'll buy a new one as a spare from you Rufe :)
Man from Kastners said they weren't returnable, but it's started getting annoying now. Always does it at traffic lights :D

Al115
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 17:07
Sent you a PM.