PDA

View Full Version : clutch replacement

850 Turbo Hearse
Monday 22nd September 2008, 12:00
Hi folks,

the clutch feels a bit high in the 850, so I thought Id get a new one chucked in at one of those cheapo clutch places before I head off to the 'ring, but have just been quoted 400 quid! Is this right? can anyone recommend somewhere cheaper, or is it possible to do it myself?

If it's 400 quid, Im wondering if it might be worth risking taking it on the old clutch. do they normally just fail or do they start to slip for a good while before they go fully?

for reference, it's not slipping or anything at the mo, just the biting point feels a bit high. perhaps they all feel like that though?

Id appreciate any thoughts you have :)

Rufe
Monday 22nd September 2008, 12:16
i can help with price of parts if thats any use. please pm me your reg number then i will confirm your prices if you like

Simon

850 Turbo Hearse
Monday 22nd September 2008, 12:24
thanks Rufe, YHM.

cameron
Monday 22nd September 2008, 12:42
Hi mate,

£400 does seem a bit steep when you can get a genuine one off Fleabay for £205 + £8.99 Postage, here it is.....................................

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-VOLVO-850-SERIES-1996-T5-TURBO-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQitemZ380062374987QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3 286.m20.l1116

Maybe Rufe can do it for a little less, who knows.

Would be interesting to know for future reference though.

Hope this helps,

Or an alternative if your feeling flush enough to spend £400 is this racing clutch for £290 + £11.25 postage, heres a link to it..............................

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-2-3R-T5R-5-PADDLE-RACING-CLUTCH-CGPP-6655_W0QQitemZ260258774344QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p 3286.m20.l1116

Lee

Rufe
Monday 22nd September 2008, 13:03
got to love ebay

"Please note that actual item may vary slightly from image shown below"

translates to: does not include release bearing.

ask the seller to be sure, but i would say it doesnt.

My price:

CLUTCH KIT:
P/n: 271810
Volvo Price: £230.89 inc vat,
Our Price: £168.55 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £8.00 DHL 48Hr service, after dispatch.
Availability: Will be in stock with us the same day or day after

If you want the bearing (recommended to be honest)

CLUTCH KIT INC BEARING:
P/n: 271810 & 9181780
Volvo Price: £276.95 inc vat,
Our Price: £202.17 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £8.00 DHL 48Hr service, after dispatch.
Availability: Will be in stock with us the same day or day after

So even with £47 worth of release bearing that i would be 99% certain the seller isn't offering in their kit, my price is lower than that one on eBay. If the sellers kit does include a bearing then it wouldn't be a genuine kit, as they don't come with them for this model.

I still haven't had your reg, i have gone for the equivalent of the one in the eBay ad above, i can confirm if this is the right part for your car if i get the full reg number.

Simon

Rufe
Monday 22nd September 2008, 13:05
Maybe Rufe can do it for a little less, who knows.

Of course... £37.44 total difference in my price than that one. :)

850 Turbo Hearse
Monday 22nd September 2008, 13:07
Thanks Rufe (I did email you my reg already).

Anyone know how much of a pig these things are to fit? If more than 6 hours, then 400 quid is looking like its about right, no?

Rob_ioClean
Monday 22nd September 2008, 13:08
try http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/

850 Turbo Hearse
Monday 22nd September 2008, 13:11
sorry, my mistake. i should have been clearer- I meant 400 quid fitted seemed steep- its looking like its not if the parts are a couple of hundred.

rats, i was expecting it to be 150-200 quid :(

cameron
Monday 22nd September 2008, 13:27
That seems to be a wee bit high to me!

Maybe im just a miser cause im a jock ( no jokes please ) but there you go.

Rufe
Monday 22nd September 2008, 13:27
To confirm, after having the reg of your car i can see that the one in the eBay link above is NOT the correct one for this car (see the reply pm i sent you).

To confirm , the job is around 6 hours so it is a big job, so if the parts are around £200 then £400 total is not really a bad price in fairness

try http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/
did you check that out? Their non genuine sachs one works out just 64p less than the genuine one which i quoted above. :)

Alan M
Monday 22nd September 2008, 13:58
Buy genuine all the way. I have used pattern parts on my car a while back and they are now getting replaced with genuine ones as they don't seem to last as long. Ask Bomb192 about his clutch problems only after 1 year of replacement.

orse
Monday 22nd September 2008, 16:46
Been looking at clutch replacement myself think i'm correct in saying it is front subframe out to get access to gearbox.Remove gearbox then change ur bits and refit.Along the lines of mondeo clutch replacement.I would say £400 all in is reasonable.Thinking of doing mine myself just dont know if i have the enthusiasm.

850 Turbo Hearse
Monday 22nd September 2008, 18:20
oh, bum. looks like itll be more than 400 then by the time I buy a decent official volvo part from rufe. >miser mode< maybe i should get as much life out of this one as possible first?

thanks for all your help folks :)

ps rufe, i didnt get the pm. try matt@roadmagazine.co.uk

Tomcat
Monday 22nd September 2008, 18:24
I've just had mine done, the clutch was just over £216 (Cheers Rufe), I also bought a Rear main seal as mine was leaking and I had it fitted for just under £400. This gives you an idea of what it's gonna cost you to get it done, it's not cheap because it's a big job(10-12 hours labour), I'd defo go for a genuine clutch, you don't want it slipping the first time you boot it do you?.

As a side note mine is going back in shortly as I'm now experiencing clutch judder.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 22nd September 2008, 18:38
Yeah pattern parts seem to be getting worse, either that or my driving style is very very bad. It takes me a day or two to replace my clutch.

P.S. Orse, you can replace the clutch like you said with the engine in the car, or you can drop the complete engine and subframe and work on it outside the car. To get an idea of what its like, check out my thread on when I did mine here http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16939

850 Turbo Hearse
Monday 22nd September 2008, 18:42
TC, whats the judder indicative of? flywheel issues? I only ask as I have a small amount of judder myself, but no real clutch issues apart from the slightly high biting point.

Tomcat
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:11
I got told it was because the flywheel hadn't been scuffed up prior to fitting the new clutch, if your getting it with an old clutch then maybe it's something else?..

850 Turbo Hearse
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:24
excellent! I LOVE a mystery

Tomcat
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:26
Lol, I think it could be a fault with the cover, maybe some of the springs are knackered.

850 Turbo Hearse
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:31
Thanks TC :)

Im pretty sure Im going to just apathy it now and wait for it to inevitably break the moment I get to the 'ring, at which point I'll have to pay 800 million pounds to some german mechanic to fit a second hand one, rather than spend 400 quid here and know that Im alright. its the only way to be sure.

Tomcat
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:32
If your using to go to Germany then just make sure you have adequate break down cover, don't the AA to european cover?.

850 Turbo Hearse
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:36
they do, Im just not with them :D

Im sure it'll be ok. Yknow, unless it's not.

Tomcat
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:38
Lol, a man after my own heart. If it aint broke then don't fix it, unless it is broke, then panic.

850 Turbo Hearse
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:41
honestly, it's like were seperated at birth.

Tomcat
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:43
Lol........I always thought I was missing something...

850 Turbo Hearse
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:44
I was just going to say that. spooky.

by any chance when I do >this< does your leg hurt?

Tomcat
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:48
"Ouch"!!!, don't do that again.....

850 Turbo Hearse
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:54
I cant. Its severed from the waist down now. still, it was a worthwhile experiment. derren brown eat your heart out.

no, really. do that, derren brown.

Wombatbomb
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:55
If your using to go to Germany then just make sure you have adequate break down cover, don't the AA to european cover?.

Stuff that for a game of soldiers. Join ADAC, ordinary policy is €44 per year, and covers all of europe including the UK. The AA show up if you breakdown in the UK on an ADAC policy. Better yet, for €76 ADAC gives you that + they will recover you from the Ring. No-one else, including AA & RAC, will touch a car on the Ring. If you need towing off the Ring and are not in ADAC, the cost is £185.

LAMS7754
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:55
i just had mine done on my 850 t5, the parts including release bearing were 166 from Parts for Volvo online and it cost me 300 to have it fitted

850 Turbo Hearse
Monday 22nd September 2008, 19:58
Stuff that for a game of soldiers. Join ADAC, ordinary policy is €44 per year, and covers all of europe including the UK. The AA show up if you breakdown in the UK on an ADAC policy. Better yet, for €76 ADAC gives you that + they will recover you from the Ring.

this sounds good. will they also fit me a new clutch? if so, it might well be the cheapest way to get this done.

:D

ps thanks for the tip, i'll join 'em before I go.

Tomcat
Monday 22nd September 2008, 20:25
this sounds good. will they also fit me a new clutch? if so, it might well be the cheapest way to get this done..

ROTFLMAO!!!:hilarious:hilarious

Rufe
Monday 22nd September 2008, 22:36
ps rufe, i didnt get the pm. try matt@roadmagazine.co.uk
Hi matt, i dont know what happened there it defintely left my outbox, anyway i forwarded a copy of it to your email address, including a super-duper deal on the cam belt kit you were asking about too. Hope that helps

and for tomcat... in case you noticed the postage is now cheaper than what you paid not that long ago, this is because as of the end of last week we have now finally switched over to a new courier, and i am able to pass the savings on.

i just had mine done on my 850 t5, the parts including release bearing were 166 from Parts for Volvo online and it cost me 300 to have it fitted
I would like to get it in that prices for clutches do vary accross the 850 range. Even the eBay link in this thread is no good for matts 850. His engine is the B5234T4 engine which has a different clutch to the standard T5 as it uses the M59 gearbox, not the more common M56 box.

Tomcat
Monday 22nd September 2008, 22:56
Usefull as ever, Thanks Rufe(For the clutch too).

850 Turbo Hearse
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 10:01
thanks rufe, got your mail now, will reply later when I get a sec :)