PDA

View Full Version : dash lit like a xmas tree

Ed.
Saturday 20th September 2008, 05:08
I was driving around for about an hour today and near the end of my journey, all the warning lights came on and kept flickering. When i say all, i mean petrol, bulb failure, coolant, handbrake, brake failure, service, oil warning, srs. Car still drives fine, i have stopped and started the car a few times since then and the lights seem to be on permanetly now.

Is this an ignition barrel problem? I did try wiggling the key whilst idling but that didn't make any difference. The key didn't move at all really.

I did reset the service light a couple of weeks ago, could this be related?

Please help!

Ed

Alan M
Saturday 20th September 2008, 07:56
Sounds more like a wiring fault somewhere. It may be down to a dodgy earth or the knackered barrel problem.

Ed.
Saturday 20th September 2008, 17:27
Nope, neither as i found out this afternoon. My alternator had died and I was left stranded on a roundabout :(

Anyone got a spare alternator? Or know roughly how much a refurbed/new one is?

Ed

siamblue
Saturday 20th September 2008, 17:31
Have you got a part number? I have a spare one here, but for the early 70 series,

Gary

PS Whereabouts are you?

Ed.
Saturday 20th September 2008, 19:29
Hi Gary,

I'm in the midlands, near coventry. I have left my car around my parent's so can't check the part number at this moment in time. I will check tomorrow and get back to you.

Cheers,

Ed

Ed.
Sunday 15th February 2009, 01:45
Sorry to drag an old thread up, but this problem has returned!

I got the alternator replaced, it was definitely knackered (as i had it checked and then refurbed) and it is currently on the car. I have been driving around with it fine for the past month but today the dash lights have come back on and when i got home i measured the battery voltage, it was reading 11.9v. I turned the car off and the voltage started to recover to 12.4v.

So i am guessing it is either a faulty earth/ground or a failing positive cable between the alternator and battery. Can anyone point out all of the ground points in the engine bay? Pictures would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

siamblue
Sunday 15th February 2009, 02:18
The ones i am aware of are the 2 main Blue cables one to the starter and other just below the battery tray, 2 small earths to the rear of the cam shaft cover on the bolts,
and a couple of small wires to the front of the block between alternator and the starter,

Gary

PaulZX
Monday 16th February 2009, 15:08
Hi Gary,

I'm in the midlands, near coventry. I have left my car around my parent's so can't check the part number at this moment in time. I will check tomorrow and get back to you.

Cheers,

Ed

go to SAC in spon end, coventry. Between £50 - £70 for a refurbed alternator, I've used them many times, they're spot on...

http://www.touchcoventry.com/business/list/bid/2543513

Alan M
Monday 16th February 2009, 17:04
Behind the nearside (passenger) headlight there are various earthing straps bolted to the body of the car for different items in the engine bay.

Babybadger
Monday 16th February 2009, 19:28
Mine did that after driving through a ford in yorkshire.

Ed.
Tuesday 17th February 2009, 08:04
go to SAC in spon end, coventry. Between £50 - £70 for a refurbed alternator, I've used them many times, they're spot on...

http://www.touchcoventry.com/business/list/bid/2543513

That's exactly the place where i got my alternator refurbed, but after checking the earths (which were all secure) I still have this problem. The car is starting to do my head in, its just one problem after another....

Alan M
Tuesday 17th February 2009, 09:14
Does your starter motor work well enough? I've heard that similar internal electrical problems can cause some strange electrical faults with the car aswell. How sure are you that the alternator was a good unit and up to the job? Can you swap it to try another just to check it?

flyingbrick
Thursday 19th March 2009, 13:13
I was driving around for about an hour today and near the end of my journey, all the warning lights came on and kept flickering. When i say all, i mean petrol, bulb failure, coolant, handbrake, brake failure, service, oil warning, srs. Car still drives fine, i have stopped and started the car a few times since then and the lights seem to be on permanetly now.

Is this an ignition barrel problem? I did try wiggling the key whilst idling but that didn't make any difference. The key didn't move at all really.

I did reset the service light a couple of weeks ago, could this be related?

Please help!

Ed

Hi. Just wondered if you sorted this problem.
When I put my foot down and get to 6000 revs all my lights come on like a xmas tree. This does not effect the running and they only stay on for afew seconds !!!!!:confused:
Any been here. I am going to check the earth leads behind the n/s headlamp tonight.

Cheers Mark........

flyingbrick
Friday 20th March 2009, 11:31
Fixed !!

Just incase anybody else has this problem. I cleaned my alternator by spraying carb cleaner all over it. It was caked with crap like most of the other electrical components. This has stopped the lights coming on (for now)

Cheers Mark.......