PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 T5 Dump valve

thebadger
Friday 19th September 2008, 00:35
Ok, I'm aware of all the "wooo you can't do this, it'll break, or not like it" talk.

You need not apply to this thread. (thanks but I'm trying this one way or another...)

3 things I need help with.

1. What size of fitting kit suits the Mk2? is it the same as the 850/v70 mk1?
will this do? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300186123169&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

2. Where does the vacum hose go to? Any quick & obvious pipes?

3. Which pipe does the valve attach to? I think it's the large one down the right side of the engine (bout 1/2 way down the side of the engine)

I'll do some pics to help me show what I mean. (tomorrow or sat)

Cheers in advance for any help!

(anyone else done this on a mk2 V70 T5?)

Dacvolvo
Friday 19th September 2008, 17:19
Hey Badger

Not sure about the ME7 engine, but here's mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/Dacvolvo/C70/Testy.jpg

Assuming that your engine is almost similar to mine, here's what you'd do:

If you remove the black throttle housing cover (See the yellow circle in the above piccy), you'll find a little "Christmas tree" (as some folks call it). You'll see 6 little stubbs coming off the "Tree". Simply pull one of the small plastic plugs off of one of the tree's branches and attach the thin vacum pipe that comes from the top of the Dump Valve.

Here's mine attached and set up:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/Dacvolvo/C70%20photo%20shoot/Dacvolvo13.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/Dacvolvo/C70%20photo%20shoot/Dacvolvo09.jpg

cameron
Friday 19th September 2008, 18:17
Yup mines is identical to that minus the spangly bits, looks very tidy indeed!

thebadger
Friday 19th September 2008, 19:59
yeah, no such pipe or bits on mine!

I'll need to get the camera out!

thebadger
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 10:09
Ok, here are the pics I have of the ASSUMED area of the dump valve.

The yellow hose, I think it's the VACUM hose.

The red arrow pipe, I guess this is for the DUMP VALVE.

Any help?

Cheers.

Rob_ioClean
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 10:21
The Vac house for the dump valve is doown the front of the engine.

The dump valve is on the side of the turbo.

Alan M
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 10:26
ME7 engines don't like dump valves from what people have posted here and on other sites. It may be worth going through a few different posts to make your mind up on the matter.

thebadger
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 10:31

As if by magic.... the fitting kit arrived about 3 mins after I posted the pics!

thebadger
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 10:32
ME7 engines don't like dump valves from what people have posted here and on other sites. It may be worth going through a few different posts to make your mind up on the matter.

Cheers alan, but my first post says I'm doing it. end of.

thebadger
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 10:57
The Fitting kit instruction says...

the hose to fit the BOV is the hose between the intercooler & throttle body.

I think my pic of the vac hose is right (yellow arrow).

thebadger
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 11:01
You can see the "vacum" hose in the second picture (green dob on it).

The one with the red arrow at it does go to the bottom of the intercooler.

thebadger
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 11:33
the only other pipe I could guess it would be, is the one over the top of the engine.

thebadger
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 16:42
ok, I have confirmed that the pipe needed (for the valve) is the MASSIVE one, right over the whole engine! (you'd have thought I'd would noticed it!)

Anyways, my big question now is.....

do I ,

A. Cut the pipe, buy hose & fit it up top?

B. Fit to the intercooler hose end?

C. Fit it at the head of the turbo itself (back of the engine bay).

Rob_ioClean
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 17:46
I cut mine

thebadger
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 18:22
I cut mine

The pipe, or the hose?

Rob_ioClean
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 18:27
Hose if poss, apprantly(no to sure about this) the closer it is to the throttle body the better!

thebadger
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 18:39
Hose if poss, apprantly(no to sure about this) the closer it is to the throttle body the better!

yeah, my fitting guide said the same.... not much use when it's a pipe it's going on to!

thebadger
Thursday 25th September 2008, 00:06
Ok, got some hose (not hoes) off fleabay, £3 per dod, 2 dods req. I'll get my jubilees from halfrauds or B&Q. (probs B&Q)

Of course, I could ask halfrauds to fit the jubilees.... nahh!

I'll detach the intercooler end, cut out a section about 3.5" (using a hoover to keep the plastic flecks from going to the turbo end) then fit the hose to both ends, then the T piece.

What say you guys?

thebadger
Friday 26th September 2008, 00:15
ok, valve was in today!

pic....

I'm hoping my hose (and hoes) arrive tommorrow.

B&Q for jubilees (& gold spray paint, different thread)

I'll post tomorrow if it comes!

LesRED850R
Friday 26th September 2008, 02:20
ok, valve was in today!

pic....

I'm hoping my hose (and hoes) arrive tommorrow.

B&Q for jubilees (& gold spray paint, different thread)

I'll post tomorrow if it comes!
Good luck! I have been looking at a http://www.forgemotorsport.com/index.aspkit for Volvo and at some forums for info and was looking to find a good link to installation diagrams for your car but cant remember where i saw them but here is a good discussion on the uses and applications for BOVs , its from http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php? Cheers LesM.http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?showtopic=89718&hl=BOV+installation I suggest you go down the thread to a guy who explains the reasons for [ avoid the idiotic comments !! HA HA ] Good luck and see if you can post video of the sound of that trumpet!!

thebadger
Friday 26th September 2008, 04:08
here is a good discussion on the uses and applications for BOVs

Thanks for this, good info!

I'm no sure about doing a vid tho!

My car unfortunatly is an auto, however, it does do over revving between changes (your site mentions this as an issue that can be solved)

I'm indifferent as to what sound it makes!

I'll do some install pics as & when the time comes!

shemtek_racing
Saturday 27th September 2008, 17:24
ive just fitted a hks dumpvalve to my phase 2 t5 today piece of cake apart from the blanking plate which is a right fiddly bugga. want some pics?

thebadger
Saturday 27th September 2008, 17:34
ive just fitted a hks dumpvalve to my phase 2 t5 today piece of cake apart from the blanking plate which is a right fiddly bugga. want some pics?

Does the pope **** in the woods?

Is a bear a catholic?

Hang on, I mean yes!

Yes please with sugar!

shemtek_racing
Saturday 27th September 2008, 18:25
just looking for camera charger!

shemtek_racing
Saturday 27th September 2008, 21:57
ive just been for a good long drive in the volvo and i can confirm that the ecu doesnt quite agree with it its only really noticeable when letting off the throttle after using it really lightly. the car sort of jerks a little after youve let off. my engine mounts are probly not up to scracth so this wouldnt be as noticeable on yours. my old re-circ valve must have been leaking because it has so much more power now i was overtaking people from 50mph in 4th effortlessly. holds boost much stronger really pulls hard! to conclude: IMO the plus's outweigh the negitives but id say if you do alot of normal driving i would advise against it as the jerkyness could become annoying. I thrash mine everywhere so its differnately staying. the HKS BOV is really loud too your bailey one should be a little more sutble.

will post pics tomorrow if i can get a camera as i cant find my charger anywhere

thebadger
Sunday 28th September 2008, 06:44
You can hardly hear it! I'm gonna look at getting a 26 instead!

I agree with your power/boost claims! My car feels swifter at speed when booting it.

I have noticed the "jerking", but it's very occasional! I mostly notice it from 1st to 2nd.

Rest of the time I don't, but I have a link rod that's needing replaced soon, so this may be why!

shemtek_racing
Sunday 28th September 2008, 13:35
glad it isnt just my car then with the jerk but your right its very occasionally and with decent mounts/bushings i dont think it would be noticed. i have got a camera, ive took pics just cant find usb lead now ill get them up shorlty

thebadger
Sunday 28th September 2008, 16:12
i have got a camera, ive took pics just cant find usb lead now ill get them up shorlty

I'll be glad to see how your efforts went! It's been raining today.... also... I have issues with my hose! They kinda don't fit right!

I'm getting the right bits on Monday!

My bodged job will do till then! (ppl at the meet today may comment!)

Oh well!

I'll do a proper post up then!

Pics & all!

shemtek_racing
Sunday 28th September 2008, 20:02
right here we go then as promised only just got my lead:

http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p9280186rb2.jpg

http://img373.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p9280187fk9.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p9280188pt4.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p9280189bb9.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p9280190nc7.jpg

not the best pics but you hopefully get the idea.

Loadsamiles
Monday 29th September 2008, 19:43
This place really hasn't recovered from it's bump on the head....

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

shemtek_racing
Monday 29th September 2008, 20:01
This place really hasn't recovered from it's bump on the head....

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

meaning???

thebadger
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 21:25
Ok, valve is on!

Hissing well!

Minor issue...

Pulled my break servo main vac hose!

Nothing like doing 40mph with a solid break pedal!

I'll post some pics shortly!

Dacvolvo
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 00:43
Ok, I'm aware of all the "wooo you can't do this, it'll break, or not like it" talk.

Ok, valve is on!
Minor issue...
Pulled my break servo main vac hose!
Nothing like doing 40mph with a solid break pedal!

Something always goes wrong with the ME7 when fitting DVs. You didn't listen and now the Volvo Gods are angry and have sabotaged your brake servo! Repent, my son :D

thebadger
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 00:52
Something always goes wrong with the ME7 when fitting DVs. You didn't listen and now the Volvo Gods are angry and have sabotaged your brake servo! Repent, my son :D

Just the hose I managed to prang during the re attachment!

Everything was fine, but the MAF kept getting in my way!

Lost the rag, pushed it to the back of the bay, then about 20 seconds later, a VERY subtle "pop".

Good job I spotted it when I did!

The end of my drive is a hill (down) the end of my road is the end of a hill (down).

The road that T's my road is a major one, with heavy traffic, even at 8pm!

Oh well, gaffer tape was made for ensuring that stuff stays stuck!

Dacvolvo
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 17:47
A solution to every problem ;)

thebadger
Friday 3rd October 2008, 13:53
ok, work done!

Piccys!

with the hose attached!

Rob_ioClean
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 09:16
Have you blanked the internal dump valve off?

thebadger
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 12:33
Have you blanked the internal dump valve off?

No, not yet! I will when I get the patience to do so! I'm toold the only benifit is that the external DV will get louder!

£30 for a blanking plate? bit of an ask for a simple peice of alloy that some wage slave machined!

Also I looked under the car to see how tricky it looked.... I see one of 3 bolts! I may go to my local AVA place, get them to do the donkey work!

shemtek_racing
Thursday 16th October 2008, 01:09
if youve still got the standerd one fitted then any gain you spoke about would have nothing to with the dumpvalve as the standerd one is still there and if it was leaking it still will.

thebadger
Thursday 16th October 2008, 01:29
if youve still got the standerd one fitted then any gain you spoke about would have nothing to with the dumpvalve as the standerd one is still there and if it was leaking it still will.

It's more responsive! Trust me, the pick up differenc has been good, also it tends to shift up a touch quicker when I kick the accelerator now.

The recirc will be blanked in time! Just can't be botherd just now!

Also, an atmospheric release of gases would make a difference in the"gains" because the engine no longer has to proccess them. :rolleyes:

Rob_ioClean
Sunday 22nd March 2009, 18:02
Have you got a blanking plate on now?