PDA

View Full Version : IPD HD Turbo Control Valve

pangster
Thursday 18th September 2008, 22:54
Does anyone have one of these fitted?:

http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1&P_ID=4131&CAT_ID=0&V_ID=10274

I've just bought one as part of my overhaul i'm having at the minute and just wondered if anyone on here had one?

Chad
Thursday 18th September 2008, 23:08
ive looked at this, andconsidered getting one when i next have time to play with my car.

looks good, and reading the reviews, i think it does what it supposed to do.

let us know what you think when you have it fitted.

thanks pangster.

chad

pangster
Thursday 18th September 2008, 23:10
ive looked at this, andconsidered getting one when i next have time to play with my car.

looks good, and reading the reviews, i think it does what it supposed to do.

let us know what you think when you have it fitted.

thanks pangster.

chad

will do Chad.. :)

bonelorry
Thursday 18th September 2008, 23:31
very big with the VS boys, heard alot of good things about them from what ive read :B_thumb:

pangster
Thursday 18th September 2008, 23:33
very big with the VS boys, heard alot of good things about them from what ive read :B_thumb:

i think there was a dodgy batch going around as well.. although i think (read: hope) that's been fixed now! lol! :) - i'll let you know how i get on! :)

bonelorry
Thursday 18th September 2008, 23:35
i think there was a dodgy batch going around as well.. although i think (read: hope) that's been fixed now! lol! :) - i'll let you know how i get on! :)

yeah let us know, hope it works ok for you!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 19th September 2008, 11:32
I take it this is a replacement for the standard BCS?

My bad I just RTFMed and indeed it does replace the standard BCS. I've been through a few of those, so this maybe a worthwhile investment?

pangster
Friday 19th September 2008, 18:48
I take it this is a replacement for the standard BCS?

My bad I just RTFMed and indeed it does replace the standard BCS. I've been through a few of those, so this maybe a worthwhile investment?

yep - just a replacement for the stock BCS - although meant to be a lot better quality and more reliable/durable.. there must have been a mad rush on for it though as i placed my order yesterday (it said stock levels were good) and i just received an email saying they're on back order until 15th October! lol! :)

MARKY70RRR
Monday 22nd September 2008, 22:05
how much have you paid in all.i looked and they wanted the same price for delivery as the item 89$ ish.

pangster
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 17:25
how much have you paid in all.i looked and they wanted the same price for delivery as the item 89$ ish.

you're best contacting them (emailing or calling them) and asking for a quote for the parts to be sent by USPS. Shipping will only cost you around $20-$30 depending on weight of package and whether its sent priority mail or normal etc.

My breakdown was:
Torque Mount Bush = $39.95
IPD HD Turbo Control Valve = $89.95
Shipping = $30.50
TOTAL = $160.40 (£85) which I thought wasn't too bad! :)

MARKY70RRR
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 19:44
i did it online and went thru with it until p&p hell no!cancelled it.have emailed but no response yet,did you phone em

pangster
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 19:46
i did it online and went thru with it until p&p hell no!cancelled it.have emailed but no response yet,did you phone em

no emailed them.. it sometimes takes a couple of days for them to get back to you - just specify you want USPS and they'll arrange it (and tell you how to put it through online)

Alan M
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 20:04
Keep us posted on the control valve Pangster as I want to get one if it is worth it and if it works.

pangster
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 20:10
Keep us posted on the control valve Pangster as I want to get one if it is worth it and if it works.

will do! :)

Ron@iPd
Thursday 9th October 2008, 20:23
Did you ever get a postage quote from somebody here?

pangster
Thursday 9th October 2008, 20:48
Did you ever get a postage quote from somebody here?

the best way I've found of doing it is adding the contents to your basket and then send of an online query quoting the postal option you want (USPS) and your country/postcode. :) this will mean they can give you an accurate quote (based on weight and dimensions) of shipment.

Ron@iPd
Thursday 9th October 2008, 21:45
the best way I've found of doing it is adding the contents to your basket and then send of an online query quoting the postal option you want (USPS) and your country/postcode. :) this will mean they can give you an accurate quote (based on weight and dimensions) of shipment.

Absolutely! If you or anyone else has this issue just let me know. The system has a difficult time calculating the correct shipping cost so it is better for me to do it manually. Not only that, I can find the least expensive freight option as well as the best for the product being shipped. I really hope this helps sort out any issues that folks have been having with this.

pangster
Sunday 30th November 2008, 17:09
http://www.paullynch.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/newbits5.JPG

I eventually got round to fitting the IPD HD TCV today!!. I didn't want to fit it before I had completed my Stage 0/overhaul as I wanted it to be a fair comparison on the best possible base.

I've been out for a run just now and to go through the calibration steps in the instructions. Pretty impressed with the results so far. I've found the same as most other people that have fitted this - boost seems to start building a little bit sooner/quicker than before and the boost itself is smoother.. I had noticed previously on the stock BCS that at WOT that the boost would sometimes dip and then pick up again - with the IPD TCV this does not happen - the boost is rock solid.

I should make it clear as well that I don't think my stock BCS was performing anywhere near its optimum so my comparison is between a well used BCS and a brand new IPD HD TCV! :)

there's a good thread on VS here - which also discusses alternatives:

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?showtopic=105483&st=0

HTH

Yosser
Sunday 30th November 2008, 17:20
Thanks for the update.

I'm waiting for the parts coming to replace my BCS with the AC Delco one referred to in that thread on VS.

I replaced my BCS with a new one from Volvo earlier this year after I broke my original one, so I know it's not tired out.

Not sure what to expect from the AC Delco one, but the parts were cheap and my sister is posting it over from the states free of charge :)

pangster
Sunday 30th November 2008, 17:28
Thanks for the update.

I'm waiting for the parts coming to replace my BCS with the AC Delco one referred to in that thread on VS.

I replaced my BCS with a new one from Volvo earlier this year after I broke my original one, so I know it's not tired out.

Not sure what to expect from the AC Delco one, but the parts were cheap and my sister is posting it over from the states free of charge :)

good stuff! - keep us posted! :) I think they are both much a muchness in anycase(IPD and AC Delco).. although I went with the IPD option due to getting some other parts there as well and also because it's plug and play.

The AC Delco looks like another good alternative over stock going by the reviews.. but it would be good to see how you find it - I think you'll probably be the first one over here with it done?

Ron@iPd
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 01:09
I’m not sure if I can shed some light on this or not but I thought I would chime in. The iPd TCV is by no means a performance adder. It was designed to replace a potentially failed or worn stock valve. What makes this a heavy duty you ask? The valve operates at a higher frequency so it can control boost more accurately. The finer the adjustment the more precise the boost control. The valve can be opened and cleaned periodically as they can and do get dirty with oil and debris. This is something you cannot do with the stock valve nor an AC Delco or many others for that matter. This is a unique feature we wanted to keep the maintenance costs down on the unit. This means the valve works faster, more efficiently, and can be serviced. These are features that cannot be found on any other TCV. There can always be a less expensive replacement part found but the reality is, if you have to replace the same part over again, doesn’t it make more sense to get one that can be serviced?
The second topic is what is referred to as the learning curve. This is because the stock valve operates at such a lower frequency it can take the computer time to learn the operation of the new valve. What normally happens is the system uses the stock mapping to control the new valve and can cause it to over boost. When this happens the system goes into what I call ‘limp mode” or lower duty cycle. For instance, if the old valve was maintaing boost at 85% duty cycle it will run the new valve at the same frequency. This can cause the car to over boost and when this happens the system will go into limp mode. Meaning, the system will override the factory settings and operate off waste gate pressure only. When the vehicle begins the new run cycle, the system will lower the duty cycle to say 10% and is essentially “learning” at this point. If the system sees an under boost situation, it will then change the duty cycle to say 80%. If there is still an over boost code it will then lower it to 15%. It will continue this until it brackets the correct duty cycle to maintain the preset boost pressure as per the ECU. I may be late to the table on this but from what I read, this maybe should have been address in the beginning. If anyone has any questions at all please let me know.

pangster
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 10:25
I’m not sure if I can shed some light on this or not but I thought I would chime in. The iPd TCV is by no means a performance adder. It was designed to replace a potentially failed or worn stock valve. What makes this a heavy duty you ask? The valve operates at a higher frequency so it can control boost more accurately. The finer the adjustment the more precise the boost control. The valve can be opened and cleaned periodically as they can and do get dirty with oil and debris. This is something you cannot do with the stock valve nor an AC Delco or many others for that matter. This is a unique feature we wanted to keep the maintenance costs down on the unit. This means the valve works faster, more efficiently, and can be serviced. These are features that cannot be found on any other TCV. There can always be a less expensive replacement part found but the reality is, if you have to replace the same part over again, doesn’t it make more sense to get one that can be serviced?
The second topic is what is referred to as the learning curve. This is because the stock valve operates at such a lower frequency it can take the computer time to learn the operation of the new valve. What normally happens is the system uses the stock mapping to control the new valve and can cause it to over boost. When this happens the system goes into what I call ‘limp mode” or lower duty cycle. For instance, if the old valve was maintaing boost at 85% duty cycle it will run the new valve at the same frequency. This can cause the car to over boost and when this happens the system will go into limp mode. Meaning, the system will override the factory settings and operate off waste gate pressure only. When the vehicle begins the new run cycle, the system will lower the duty cycle to say 10% and is essentially “learning” at this point. If the system sees an under boost situation, it will then change the duty cycle to say 80%. If there is still an over boost code it will then lower it to 15%. It will continue this until it brackets the correct duty cycle to maintain the preset boost pressure as per the ECU. I may be late to the table on this but from what I read, this maybe should have been address in the beginning. If anyone has any questions at all please let me know.

thanks for that Ron!.. I should have made clear in my original reply (after fitting this) that I didn't see an increase in boost.. just an overal improvement in terms of how it is delivered (smoother and seems to build a tad sooner as well and holds/maintains the boost level better) compared to stock.. I did mention that I didn't think mine was performing at it's optimum as its the original factory one that was on the car (and my car has now done 107k miles! :) ). Very happy with it so far! :)

Yosser
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 13:36
Thats a really useful post Ron, Thanks.

It's also the first time I've read that your product is capable of being disassembled for cleaning/maintenance - good point.

FWIW I'm going down the AC Delco route as I have family in the USA who are sourcing/sending the parts at little cost to me. I wouldn't rule out the IPD valve in the future.

Ron@iPd
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 19:07
I'm really sorry I didn't catch this earlier, it may have saved some frustration. We considered a lower cost alternative but the reality is, we can offer a better part that will last longer for what we feel is a reasonable price. Again, if anyone has questions or comments feel free to give me a shout. I will also consider a group buy for those that may be on the fence. I'm not really sure what the cost would be but we can discuss that if we can get some feedback.