PDA

View Full Version : MAF removal (P2 V70)

princepugh
Monday 15th September 2008, 10:15
Anyone got any useful suggestions on how to get the MAF sensor body off the long plastic duct without wrecking either part?

Any *polite* advice appreciated :-)

ALivesey
Monday 15th September 2008, 11:54
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that its a b*tch to get off.

Yes please someone tell us...

shemtek_racing
Monday 15th September 2008, 12:17
changed mine yesterday as long as you make sure the jubilee clip is slackened right off as there is a lip on the MAF body then just get a good grip on it and give it a good wiggle and a tug.

princepugh
Monday 15th September 2008, 12:26
Maybe I'm being a weakling but although the thing freely rotated (with jubilee undone), I couldn't get the thing past the flange and was concerned I'd break the MAF, duct, or my hands. I've seen a suggestion to make the plastic a little more malleable with a hairdryer but that's not an option unfortunately.

shemtek_racing
Monday 15th September 2008, 12:37
yeah your right mine was spinning round but not coming out. I had a new one to replace it with so I wasn't concerend about breaking the old one. mine did come out fine with abit of effort. if you feel its really stuck then i wouldnt go mental on it as there not cheap to replace. hair dryer might work id try pulling it out on one side once the lip is past the recess it will almost fall out. the only other thing to check is that a previous owner or garage has used some sort of sealent/silicone for some reason as this would make it a right B*sterd to get out.

cornclose
Monday 15th September 2008, 14:07
Make sure the engine is hot before attempting to remove it - it is indeed a bit of a sod to get off, and trebly so when cold...

shemtek_racing
Monday 15th September 2008, 14:42
Make sure the engine is hot before attempting to remove it - it is indeed a bit of a sod to get off, and trebly so when cold...

I definately agree with that as mine was still hot when i removed it

princepugh
Monday 15th September 2008, 15:13
Cheers guys - I'll take another look this weekend and will line up a pair of helping hands.

Ta

PP

princepugh
Monday 29th September 2008, 12:17
Installed the new MAF and body this weekend - had to make a small cut to the housing of the old body to enable me to lift the duct flange slightly, once it started to move it was fairly easy to get out. Doing the job with the engine warm definitely helped as the plastic was more malleable. Replacement MAF sensor has made a positive difference too, even though the old one doesn't look dirty or knacked.

shemtek_racing
Monday 29th September 2008, 20:04
my old one still looks like new inside but it was definately fubar car wouldnt even tick over with the old one fitted and showed 3 fault codes all gone now its been replaced

auldtam
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 00:49
I just replaced the sensor itself and used the old housing...much easier

princepugh
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 10:30
I just replaced the sensor itself and used the old housing...much easier

Yes, I was looking to do that but the mesh grille was a bit grotty and had a couple of dead flies in it (!) so I decided to do the lot.