PDA

View Full Version : Back of my hols, depressed and the Volvo still not nice !

nobananas
Sunday 14th September 2008, 20:07
Well after what must have been my wettest holiday in the Lakes yet I'm back with a knackered back and a very muddy Volvo !. Before I left I tried to sort out a high speed vibration (70+) that I've been getting in the Ovlov by fitting different wheels and tyres and changing a duff rear shock mount (that I only noticed the day before we left !) but it was all in vain, it's still 'doin it !.. It's really annoying me now because it ruins what would be a reasonably entertaining drive. The vibration isn't particularly bad but you can feel it through you're back and the back of your legs. It doesn't seem directly linked to the engine as it remains when you dip the clutch and coast but it does seem to get a little worse when accelerating and occaisionally when taking fast curves at speed. I don't seem to have any play in the C/V joints that I can detect but I am wondering if there might be a bent driveshaft. Anybody experienced anything similar ?

cameron
Sunday 14th September 2008, 20:30
I have exactly the same thing NB, ive been told it could be a list of things.

For example 1. Track Rod Ends need replacing ( there is a bit too much play in them )
2. Wishbone Bushes need replacing
3. Worn Droplinks

So not to take any shortcuts im replacing them all!

I'll keep you posted on progress, PCV this week though. Wishbones next week, then TR Ends and so on!

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 14th September 2008, 20:33
Tell you what NB, I had a vibration at 70+ mph, and the other week my O/S engine mount broke (completely). Since I replaced it, the vibration has gone (all but a little bit from the worn suspension parts).

Check your engine mountings mate, you never know. And have you checked the wheel bearings?

cameron
Sunday 14th September 2008, 20:39
OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'd better check mine while im at it!

In for a pound an all that, cheers Bomb.

nobananas
Sunday 14th September 2008, 21:08
Cheers all. Track rod ends, drop links and wishbone bushes should all be okay (wishbones are poly'd), not sure about the engine mount, did replace it when I put the engine back in last year but it was a Parts for Volvo's part so might be duff !. Have got the other engine two mounts which I've been meaning to replace as the 'buffer' between the end of the gearbox and the subframe hasn't got a gap between them and I'm sure there should be !. Doesn't feel like it's from the engine though as it remains when I dip the clutch and coast. No noise from the wheel bearings and couldn't feel any play in them last time I checked but I'll look again. Am a little worried as to whether it could be caused from worn bushes on the rear suspension as I did get an advisory on them last MOT but can't see them causing vibration, more vagueness I would have thought. This Volvo has been the most unforgiving car I've ever owned, all the old wrecks I've taxed in the past have never been so sensitive to wear and tear as this thing ! (at least it didn't break down this time !)

Dangerous Dave
Monday 15th September 2008, 08:52
This Volvo has been the most unforgiving car I've ever owned, all the old wrecks I've taxed in the past have never been so sensitive to wear and tear as this thing!

Tell me about it, I've just done my clutch again after only 1 year! Mine has just got to the age/mileage where everything needs to be replaced to stop it rattling and clunking.

My engine mount was knackered (its those welsh mountain roads LOL, very unforgiving) as you can see.....
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/01092008065.jpg

I don't think the gearbox should be resting on the bump stop, mine has a quarter inch gap, and my gearbox mounting is old.