PDA

View Full Version : Wheels are oxidising already HELP!

cameron
Sunday 14th September 2008, 15:52
I bought my wheels the Tethys ones off ebay about 3-4 weeks ago.

I went to pick them up and they looked the dogs danglies, nice and evenly painted and shiny.

I have washed the car 3-4 times and the wheels now look like they are oxidising already, the shine has gone and the once silver is now a matt grey.

I did notice when i collected them that they hadnt been " finished " with a top coat of lacquer on them.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to " bring them back ", im trying to avoid getting them repainted at the minute.

Cheers everybody.

Lee

Tomcat
Sunday 14th September 2008, 16:28
Where the wheels 'Shiny' when you bought them or was it a matt finish?, if it was matt then there was defo no laquer on them and you'll have a hell of a job getting them right again without repainting them. If they where 'Shiny' then you could just try some T cut or other abrasive pain cleaner, if this brings them up then give them a coat or two of wax polish to help fend off the dirt.

cameron
Sunday 14th September 2008, 18:42
Cheers T.C.

I think it was proper Alloy Wheel Paint but it was more of a Matt Finish, the shiny was just the light reflecting off all the little specks, plus iirc when i handled the wheels there was a dry powder coating on my fingers.

So it looks like its a Blast and Powdercoat jobby, the Di*K didnt tell me in the Ebay ad that he hadnt lacquered them either.

I have a mate whom is a Pro Powder Coater. He said if i take the tyres off he will do them for £150, is that a good price/ mates rates obviously, he said he usually charges about £200.

Oh well we live and learn eh?

Tomcat
Sunday 14th September 2008, 20:45
You get what you pay for, make sure there are no deffects in the wheels before you have them powder coated. I had some done a while back, he shot blasted them and then powder coated them, what he didn't do was rectify any scratches that where in the alloy, they looked like bizz afterwards and I had to re paint them myself.

cameron
Sunday 14th September 2008, 20:52
I payed £160 for them plus the £50 petrol + £210.

I would have been better buying adams ( Readview ) mint ones for £250.

Oh Well