PDA

View Full Version : crankcase pressure

1st Volvo ever
Saturday 13th September 2008, 22:57
HI
T5 cd for 1week decided to change oil
Found signs of crankcase pressure ie oil coming from filler cap.
The Bible i have says cvs is totally reliable and should cause no probs
Oh dear do i need to worry Any help will be apreciated.
Mick

Tomcat
Saturday 13th September 2008, 23:17
The breather system on these cars is good but it doesn't last forever, if your getting smoke out the dipstick then it's probably time to get it done. Parts cost around £80 from the dealers, it's not a terribly difficult job to do.

Bluefin
Saturday 13th September 2008, 23:20
First of all Mick make sure your oil filler cap O ring seal has not perished?

They cost peanuts "Ask Ruff" he will sort one out for you for a couple of quid.

It would also be wise to check out your PCV system? They have a tendancy to get cloged up" somteimes the top breather pipe that sits in the middle of your cylinder head will leak due to a loose clip making you believe its comeing from your oil filler cap,but like I said, first make sure its not the filler cap O ring seal...

1st Volvo ever
Sunday 14th September 2008, 00:07
thanks for you reply
the o ring looks ok but never having had a volvo before i am not quite sure what it should look like.Idont want to be thick but "ask ruff" is a new name to me.I hope he is a dealer as i noticed i need a drop link (strut to anti rollbar) as the rubber is split.
Thanks
Mick

cameron
Sunday 14th September 2008, 00:58
Hi Mick, Ruff or Rufe as he is known to his friends works for FRF in Swansea, a Volvo Dealer. PM ( personal message ) him and he will get back to you, he does a good discount for VPCUK members also. His details will be in the traders section.

HTH Buddy, welcome to the club BTW.

Lee

Alan M
Sunday 14th September 2008, 12:01
To check the PCV system out before doing any work is, start the car up and leave it to warm up. Once warm pull the oil dipstick out and see if any fumes or a slight bit of smoke comes from it. If there is quite a lot coming from it its usually a sign of it being blocked. Another test when warm is to remove the oil filler cap and place your hand palm over it and if there is excessive pressure there it will usually push your hand off the filler cap and not suck it slightly as its meant to.

Rufe
Sunday 14th September 2008, 12:21
Hi mick

the PCV system is very reliable, but thats not to say it doesnt require a service from time to time, and once the mileage of your car climbs up to 6 digits its not a bad idea to think about doing this, espeically if you have reason to belive there may be excessive pressure there.

I can put together a complete kit of parts you need to do this job, providing you let me know what year your car is. The kit includes all required hoses, the breather box (or oil trap as it is also known) and the inlet manifold gasket, and if i remember right its about £70 all in delivered, im pretty sure of this as we supply these quite often really.

If the leak is from the oil cap then yes, the new seals are pretty cheap, around £2 - £3 including postage if i remember right.

Finaly, regarding the drop link, again these are a fairly common part to fail on these cars, and we usually have them in stock. Send me your reg number in a private message and i will supply you with delivered prices for the above mentioned parts.

Thanks a lot

Simon :)

1st Volvo ever
Monday 15th September 2008, 22:29
Thanks for your help and advice
Ordered a new oil seal for filler cap but will try and pray she sucks rather than blows.
Thanks
Mick