PDA

View Full Version : heater matrix

matt_t5
Saturday 13th September 2008, 13:12
hello, i have just picked up my t5 the guy said the o rings were slightly leaking i disregarded this and im going to have a new heater matrix fitted as i work in the parts trade and get things cheap.

any idea what the suggested time schedule is for one of these to be fitted? as im just thinking about labour.

also i cant demist the car and steam is coming out the vents, i assume this is the heater matrix and its using water. but to me when i went to fill it up with more water the car was at operating temperature yet i felt as if there was wayyyy too much presure in the cooling system as it took a good 5 minutes for the pressure to die off, cap slightly opened only very slight to avoid scoulding.

russell2419
Saturday 13th September 2008, 16:22
You don't specify the location of these 'o' rings and, after reading the rest of your post, I don't think that they should concern you. What should concern you IMO is that you have a pressurised coolant system. ?? HEADGASKET!!. She needs looking at ASAP.

Good Luck!

matt_t5
Saturday 13th September 2008, 19:57
heater matrix o rings. the system was pressurised after i switched the car off. later about 20 miles later the car was running took the cap not a hiss, nothing. i know matrix is foobarred as the floor is wet around the centre console and steam comes through the vents hence why it wont demist.

coolant stinks.

Rufe
Sunday 14th September 2008, 12:27
1.5 hours volvo book time for this job mate, hope this helps :)

nobananas
Sunday 14th September 2008, 22:44
Time Rufe says is about right, allow maybe another half hour or so for non-Volvo, independant 'fumbling' !. Did mine a few years ago and it is a doddle on the 850's, far easier then some motors where the dash or pedals have to come out

matt_t5
Monday 15th September 2008, 12:29
see when someone checked the time on auto data today i didnt believe it as i thought the dash would have to have come out? is there a way someone could basically type a guide out to do it in 1.5 hours ish?

Adge
Monday 15th September 2008, 17:10
Dash-out jobbie is the air-con evaporator! They too go!!

matt_t5
Monday 15th September 2008, 18:40
now im confused the carpet is very slightly wet, steam comes through the passenger side window demister vent and im losing coolant hmmmm which one could it be?

pookie
Monday 15th September 2008, 19:06
If the carpet is wet it's the heater matrix.

Pookie

matt_t5
Monday 15th September 2008, 19:13
as i suspected, thank you :)

nobananas
Monday 15th September 2008, 21:54
Basically you remove the trim panel in the passenger footwell that runs just above the tunnel. You should then be able to see where the pipes for the matrix go into the heater box. Before removal and to save more coolant loss into the carpets clamp off the pipes as the pass through the bulkhead, engine side, then you will only have the coolant in the matrix to worry about when you seperate the pipes from it.