PDA

View Full Version : s60 gearbox problems

S60
Friday 12th September 2008, 19:44
hi everybody just wondering if i can get your advice i have a 2001 s60 t5 and recently i've noticed when i start the car and drive away theres a crunching noise but the car runs fine unless i make it spin the wheels coming out of a junction then it makes the noise again only louder i took it to a mate of mine at a volvo garage he said it sounds like its coming from the gearbox and said it would prob cost about 800 quid dont know if thats a good price or not? has anybody had similar problems? many thanks :worried:

shemtek_racing
Saturday 13th September 2008, 14:47
how many miles you done mate? id be looking at driveshafts before gearbox. im assuming its a manuel if so you can get a second box in the reqion of 100-300 quid. not sure of labour costs im sure some one could look the job up on vadis and tell you how long they advise or of course save some money and do it yaself

S60
Saturday 13th September 2008, 16:22
i got the car a couple of months ago with around 86000 on the clock i've only done another 1000 on top of that but its only started doin it not long after i had it and yeh its a manual

v70torslanda
Sunday 14th September 2008, 21:59
S60. I think what is missing here is a diagnosis.

In your first post you mention a problem. You mention that someone's had a gander. You mention a price to fix it. There's no hint of what is actually wrong.

For your sake and ours I think we need some hint from the guy that's had a gander as to WHY it makes this crunching noise.

J

S60
Tuesday 16th September 2008, 14:06
thats the thing he couldnt say what the problem was only that he thinks it coming from the gearbox but i tried something the other day when i wheelspinned with the stc button on i heard the loud grinding noise but when i turned off the stc button the noise went away so i dont know if my car has a traction control motor or something that might be about to go

S60
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 21:17
just to let everybody know found out what was wrong with my gearbox...absolutely nothing. i think my so called pal at a volvo garage was trying to make a quick bit of cash off of me but decided to get a second opinion and guess what nothing to worry about that'll teach me from now on not to trust what everybody says

thebadger
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 21:38
Sounds like a dodgy "friend" you have there!

Dare I ask which garage this would be? I know you're somewhere up in ecosse.

I had a run in with the local main stealers the other day.... bet it was them, they are jockeys!

cornclose
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 09:03
So, what is/was the issue ?

thebadger
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 09:21
Sounds STC related. I'm gonna guess the control unit or a motor, possibly both.

From what I've read, STC is hee-haw use! Drive without & keep some worry beads in the car!

S60
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 12:47
it was my local volvo/saab scrappies called headswood i know its not a big volvo dealership but my so called "pal" from school works there so gave him first chance, but wont be doing it again.

the problem was, after getting a second opinion, that the two front droplinks are needing changed and an exhaust bracket needs replaced that explains the clicky noise coming from the passenger side front wheel and the bracket explains the rattle i get when driving so not the gearbox as first told so all in all i have saved 800 quid which is what i got quoted from them lol

and badger u were sayin about the stc thats what my pal said could be the gearbox about to go cos he had the car up on a jack and told me to start it and go upto second gear then it started making a loud grinding noise and typical response from a mechanic "oooh that doesny sound good" lol but i tried my own test i tried wheelspinnin it with the stc on and it made a loud grinding noise then tried it without and guess what no noise so me thinks your right its the stc needin sorted lol the joys of having a volvo lol :crazy:

thebadger
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 12:55
Small issue as I said, you may want to get it sorted for winter tho!

S60
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 15:21
i'll see i like sliding about LMAO :D

Piles
Monday 3rd November 2008, 18:41
thats the thing he couldnt say what the problem was only that he thinks it coming from the gearbox but i tried something the other day when i wheelspinned with the stc button on i heard the loud grinding noise but when i turned off the stc button the noise went away so i dont know if my car has a traction control motor or something that might be about to go

I have the same problem mate. Did you get it sorted/find out what it was?

S60
Friday 7th November 2008, 00:28
not got it sorted yet mate but will be soon found out that its actually the abs/stc motor at the back of the fuse box i found a place that repairs the original unit to a better spec than from the factory cos apparently the motors are only meant to last so long before packing in either 5 years or 85000 miles costs 100 quid to get the motor done so not so bad compared to 1300 for a new one from volvo lol

Piles
Friday 7th November 2008, 16:59
Hi mate, I have EXACTLY the same problem!

My mechanic has changed the ABS pump once already and the noise is still there - in fact worse than before. He's taken data from the ecu after a few runs and he's found out that the pump is drawing twice as much voltage as it should be.

Could you reply to this or pm me with more details of how you are fixing yours - cos it is proper doing my head in!!!!

Cheers.