PDA

View Full Version : Angry wookie under my bonnet...

Diesel64
Friday 12th September 2008, 19:23
Alreet,

Changed out my PCV pipes, PTC sensor and Oil seperator the other day and now the engine really growls loudly when accelerating. It almost sounds cool, except I can't help thinking that I've somehow mullered the engine...

PCV replacement meant taking the inlet manifold off - I put a new gasket on and made sure it was all torqued up correctly. There is plenty of oil in the sump too.

On my first run out, I tripped the Lambda warning light as I hadn't connected one of the pipes that connects to the turbo properly (one of the jubillee clips on the metal pipe that routes over the top of the engine and is clamped by a bracket off the top engine mount was loose and popped the hose off) Had MEGA tubo whistle and no power. As soon as I realised something was wrong (i.e less than 30 seconds driving) I pulled over and sorted it out. Engine runs fine since, except this growl/roar when I get over 2K revs)

I dunno if this is because the crankcase is now breathing properly, or if something serious is amiss. I'll be taking it along to my pet mechanic soon, but if anyone can offer any advice in the interim I'll be most interested...

Cheers

Ross9
Sunday 14th September 2008, 17:29
so it growls/roars when it's on boost?

Sounds like an intake issue, ie normally cars will do this when fitted with an induction kit if naturally aspirated, hard to guage without hearing it but sounds like air being drawn when it's on boost. Do you have the OE intake box? if so that would always be quiet, so I'd be more inclined to think there's a leak and air being drawn through it, it'd be on the intake, pre turbo, so no boost leak or iffy running etc.

Only thing that springs to mind if the car runs fine otherwise

Ross.

Diesel64
Monday 15th September 2008, 12:53
so it growls/roars when it's on boost?

Sounds like an intake issue, ie normally cars will do this when fitted with an induction kit if naturally aspirated, hard to guage without hearing it but sounds like air being drawn when it's on boost. Do you have the OE intake box? if so that would always be quiet, so I'd be more inclined to think there's a leak and air being drawn through it, it'd be on the intake, pre turbo, so no boost leak or iffy running etc.

Only thing that springs to mind if the car runs fine otherwise

Ross.

Thanks Ross,

I have the OEM airbox on, but with an ITG panel filter fitted. It never used to sound so loud before, so I don't think it that. I'm guessing it must be to do with the inlet manifold side, seeing as it was taken off to change out the oil separator.

I'll double check all the hoses and will loosen, reset an retighten up the manifold tonight and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers.