PDA

View Full Version : Quick S40 TD Advice Please

Stevie-Boy
Friday 12th September 2008, 11:03
A friend of mine is going to look at a 2002 S40 TD this weekend, any advice for him from anyone knowing about the cars?

I could only offer him general S40 advice and with limited experience too so not massively helpful to him.

In particular, bodywork, suspension, common faults etc, worth buying?

The car is for a daily whip, he has an RX8 as his amusement.

Cheers.

CONDYBOY
Friday 12th September 2008, 14:19
Make sure there is good response from the turbo when it winds in, also listen for any really bad knocking from the engine (It shouldn't be really noticable from inside the car), Listen for any whining or knocking from suspension/wheel bearings when driving, Check for water in the oil and vice versa, check for any oil/water leaks, brakes should be good and firm with no judder. a 2002 car may well be needing a clutch soon also. if you have time and cash take it to a good garage and have any fault codes read. other than that use common sense if it looks worn out around the bolsters and bodywork then the car is probably a bit wornout throughout. Hope this helps.

jimka
Saturday 13th September 2008, 13:41
My advice to anyone buying a car.. if its a lot of cash your parting with, and you are unsure of your mechanics... book it in at a local garage to the seller for an MOT.. if the seller has a problem with it (bar him gaining a fresh MOT) then walk away, it only takes an hour... could save your friend a fortune in repairs.

CONDYBOY
Sunday 14th September 2008, 11:04
good advice jimka!