PDA

View Full Version : HID conversion, which to choose?

paullus
Thursday 11th September 2008, 18:00
Right I'm going to do it.
I'm going to fit an HID kit to go with the clear C70 headlights.
I've checked around and the kits vary in price massively.
I like the look of the 6K Proplus kit with anti-glare bulbs from HIDS4U for £114 delivered.
Anybody got any better ideas or experience of the cheaper items available on Ebay for instance?
Cheers.

Wombatbomb
Thursday 11th September 2008, 18:09
Search for ebay seller diane-shop.

dooby
Thursday 11th September 2008, 18:10
EDIT Lol, spent too long searching eBay for the link so Wombat beat me :-)

Hiya,

I bought a relatively cheap 6000K setup from eBay seller diane-shop:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/diane-shop/

No problems to report.

HTH, Pete

aeroresh
Thursday 11th September 2008, 18:20
you cant argue with the price, thats for sure!

Anyone tried them with the main beam or wont the flasher work?

Wombatbomb
Thursday 11th September 2008, 18:29
Since I've fitted HID's I've never used my main beams for driving :D I do know that some folks have fitted them to the main bean without probs.

dooby
Thursday 11th September 2008, 18:37
I think the issue with main beam would be the time the light bulbs take to stabilise and come up to temperature. I have heard that on newer cars with HID main beam they get around this by actually lifting a shutter as you 'flash', and leaving the bulbs emitting light the whole time. I have no evidence to back that up, mind.

They're good as dipped beam on mine but they'd be no use as main beam because of having to switch them on/off for every passing car - and they wouldn't be useful to 'flash' people I reckon.

Cheers, Pete

Alan M
Thursday 11th September 2008, 18:57
I just bought a set.

MARKY70RRR
Thursday 11th September 2008, 20:10
Right I'm going to do it.
I'm going to fit an HID kit to go with the clear C70 headlights.
I've checked around and the kits vary in price massively.
I like the look of the 6K Proplus kit with anti-glare bulbs from HIDS4U for £114 delivered.
Anybody got any better ideas or experience of the cheaper items available on Ebay for instance?
Cheers.i bought these off ebay cant fault em 140260009317

Azza
Friday 12th September 2008, 10:43
I want to do this too but have never got round to investigating.

How easy/hard a job is it seeing as i don't know a great deal about car maintenance! Would it be best to get a professional to do it ?

Anyone got any before/after pics of their setups ?

Azza

dooby
Friday 12th September 2008, 10:59
Hiya,

I did a very mini HowTo here:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=56987

but no pictures handy I'm afraid. It's not a bad job to do yourself - the hardest part for me was getting the 10mm bolts off the headlamp. A good 1/4" socket set and maybe a ratchet spanner with a bendy neck can help.

Cheers, Pete

cameron
Friday 12th September 2008, 11:10
i bought these off ebay cant fault em 140260009317

Would these work for an 850, they seem well cheap!

Alan M
Saturday 13th September 2008, 10:36
If anyone wants the dim dip beam off you can turn it off (if your switch does not do it) by removing the green lighting relay in the main fuse box (in the engine bay) andthen fold over pin 56B. Make sure it is the right one though as there are a few pins with 56 next to them followed by other letters and numbers.

You try this at your own peril though as I do not want to be held responsible for your mistakes. I did this on mine and it works. I am fitting some HIDs when they arrive that is why I did it cause the grub screw switch only turned off the sidelights on mine.

Wombatbomb
Saturday 13th September 2008, 11:04
These kits are simple to fit, but (sorry Pete!) there is a much neater way of doing it on a C70 (and I would think the S/V to as the bumpers are the same), with all the wiring etc out of sight. There are some guys over on the forum that I'm not allowed to mention than have done and there are pictures too.

Justin
Saturday 13th September 2008, 11:07
These kits are simple to fit, but (sorry Pete!) there is a much neater way of doing it on a C70 (and I would think the S/V to as the bumpers are the same), with all the wiring etc out of sight. There are some guys over on the forum that I'm not allowed to mention than have done and there are pictures too.

For clarity no one said you were not allowed to mention T5D5, just not actively promote it as per the site rules.

Wombatbomb
Saturday 13th September 2008, 11:19
Odd then that only my post was edited by you and you sent me a pm telling me that I wasn't allowed to post a link to T5D5 as an almost identical post has been made this week by another member and hasn't been touched.

BACK ON TOPIC: Go find nunchukhamster on T5D5, he can help with C70 HID installs.

Mrsmopp
Saturday 13th September 2008, 11:21
Odd then that only my post was edited by you and you sent me a pm telling me that I wasn't allowed to post a link to T5D5 as an almost identical post has been made this week by another member and hasn't been touched.

No one's perfect and occasionally things do slip by us un-noticed, such is life hey :)

x

Justin
Saturday 13th September 2008, 11:45
Very true, however the reason was you were linking to a guide/howto that we have in house. No other reason.

paullus
Tuesday 16th September 2008, 20:17
I bit the bullet and bought the ProPlus kit from HIDS4U with the anti-glare bulbs for £114 delivered next day.
I have also completed a completely concealed install with the ballasts fitted inside the front wings using the megga super sticky adhesive pads included in the kit. I've also drilled the headlight casing, not the dust cover drilled to accept the extra wiring. Thanks wombatbomb for pointing me in that direction.
Unfortunately at this time I'm still waiting to complete the installation. The reason being is the H7 bulb fitment on the late C70 headlights is completely different to the early model. The wire spring clip has been replaced by a holder fixed by two torx screws. I knew about this but didn't realize it would be an issue. I thought I was going to be unable to fit the kit without cutting wires so I rang HIDS4U and spoke to a lady who directed me to the website and to the "Bulb Holders" section where a split bracket is listed specifically to get around this problem. The holders are now on their way.
I can't fault HIDS4U for the quality of product, technical know how and helpfulness.
I'll update this thread when I get out in the dark.

Psst! Anyone want to buy some H7 Osram bulbs. I've got one pair of night breakers and two pairs of Silverstars sitting in my drawer now. They've had little use as my DRLs are off and I don't go out at night much.
Reasonable offers accepted ie £10 per pair inc P&P??? First come first serve.
PM me

Azza
Wednesday 17th September 2008, 10:04
Would be great to see some pics as and when you get the install sorted.

Out of interest, why did you decide to go for the considerably more expensive option ?

T5-TEZ
Wednesday 17th September 2008, 17:45
If anyone wants the dim dip beam off you can turn it off (if your switch does not do it) by removing the green lighting relay in the main fuse box (in the engine bay) andthen fold over pin 56B. Make sure it is the right one though as there are a few pins with 56 next to them followed by other letters and numbers.

You try this at your own peril though as I do not want to be held responsible for your mistakes. I did this on mine and it works. I am fitting some HIDs when they arrive that is why I did it cause the grub screw switch only turned off the sidelights on mine.
So which relay is the light one? Looking at them from the driver`s side there are three small one`s and one large one which I know is the fuel pump relay.

paullus
Friday 19th September 2008, 18:16
Tried the new lights this morning and they're certainly brighter but frankly I'm a tad disappointed. The beams were way too low and the cut off is very sharp a bit like if the height adjustment is on its lowest setting. I've been looking this evening at how to raise the beams. I can only find the adjuster on the electric motor but this raises the main beam too. I'm worried now that the HIDS may be set better but the main beam will be pointing at the sky.
has anyone else experienced this issue?
Cheers.

gazjacko
Friday 19th September 2008, 21:03
I want to do this too but have never got round to investigating.

How easy/hard a job is it seeing as i don't know a great deal about car maintenance! Would it be best to get a professional to do it ?

Anyone got any before/after pics of their setups ?

Azza

Easy job to do, biggest problem is finding where to fit the clever box of tricks!
here's where mine are

paullus
Saturday 20th September 2008, 17:19
Sorry for the repeat regarding this issue but my thread has gone off topic.
I have tried the new HID lights and they're certainly brighter but frankly I'm a tad disappointed. The beams were way too low and the cut off is very sharp a bit like as if the height adjustment is on its lowest setting. I've been looking at how to raise the beams. I can only find the adjuster on the electric motor but this raises the main beam too. I'm worried now that the HIDS may be set better but the main beam will be pointing at the sky.
has anyone else experienced this issue?
The bulbs fitted are the HIDS4u H7R with the anti-glare shield
Cheers.

paullus
Monday 22nd September 2008, 17:17
Been playing around with the height adjustment and the lights are much better including main beam so that must have been too low. However I definitely can't drive on dipped beam all the time as some have said they can. This must be down to the HIDS4U anti-glare H7R bulbs with the internal shield which creates quite a sharp cut off of the beam
I drove a V70 D5 today and I had a good look at the lights. They are HID units with reflectors not projectors. The bulbs look very similar to the H7Rs I have fitted. They too have a shield inside the bulb to reduce glare. The headlight unit has another shield fitted in which the bulb sits. This has cut outs in it to further define the beam pattern accurately. Until now I was under the impression that HID was only a standard fitment on cars with projector headlights.

Alan M
Monday 22nd September 2008, 20:01
I fitted mine last week and need to adjust them slightly but so far so good. Does anyone else find that when the lights first arc on when switched they seem to be very bright then the intensity of the light dies slightly so its not so bright? Or is it just mine.

Wombatbomb
Monday 22nd September 2008, 20:06
Yes, that is what happens with them all. From what I've read, on late Volvo's factory fitted with them the main beams are always on, they just have a shutter over them. Flashing the main beams just opens the shutter, rather than having them come on, fade slightly, then go out.

D5 Stunt Man
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 17:21
What a great thread.

I'm considering purchasing the Ebay specials. Can anyone tell me after fitting them to the S60 (53 plate) will I get any error messages?

And when people talk about headlamp adjustments I take it they are not talking about adjusting them via the dial next to the steering wheel! How do you make manual adjustments?

paullus
Monday 29th September 2008, 21:06
Ok I've had a week to decide whether I like these HID bulbs or not because at first I wasn't convinced. I even took them out and put the halogens back in to check the beam pattern. I've refitted them now and got them adjusted and they're definitely staying put. The beam pattern with the HIDS4u H7R anti-glare bulbs is almost but not quite identical to the H7 Osram Nightbreakers. I've not been flashed once by oncoming traffic despite the increased light output. However I don't know how some kits allow people to drive everywhere on dipped beam. The cut off with the H7R bulbs is sharp to prevent glare. I still need to use my main beams to light up the road well ahead. The only downside is that the main beam Ultra-Xenons look very yellow compared to the HIDs.
Now I've got the beams set properly I'm completely satisfied with the HIDS4u Pro-Max kit even if it was considerably dearer than some of the other kits available. The HIDS4u staff are also very helpful .
I'm also pleased that I took the time to install the ballasts up inside the front wings completely out of sight and protected from engine heat and the weather. I also drilled the headlight casing not the dust cap for the extra wiring and sealing grommet. I now have a really neat HID conversion that is virtually hidden.

Alan M
Monday 29th September 2008, 21:13
My ballast in thekit from that diane shop place on ebay has just died, aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!! I've emailedthem but have not had a response yet.

G6hbq
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 20:52
I bought the expensive Ultimate HID kit from HIDS4U about 18 mths ago.....
My thoughts on these,
1. Expensive
2.not 100% reliable; 1 new bulb, 2 new ballasts and 1 new starter up to now.
Fair enough no problems with replacement but if you want an overnight replacement under warranty you have to buy the bits and get a refund when you return the broken bits.

At the same time I bought 2 cheap Cheinese kits from £40 ex China
www.mydepots.com
and these I have had no issues with at all.
(would need relays use use on P2 cars but not on P1's) these are fitted to a Ford Cougar and Chrysler Crossfire with no problems..
Frankly I am miffed with the Ultimate kit as the latest replacements are not firing up 1st time