PDA

View Full Version : C70 T5 Cooling issue?

Krawli
Thursday 11th September 2008, 15:56
I recently had my engine reconditioned on my 2004 C70 T5 and now after about 1000 mile of driving it, I noticed a light on the instrument panel that looks like a radiator with a fan.

I checked the coolant level and it's fine and the temp gauge stays at the 3 o'clock position. Can anyone suggest what the problem is?
I am reluctant to drive it like this when the light on and I have BIGJC stag Party to get to this weekend!!!!!!!

Any thoughts on what the cause may be will be greatly accepted.

Cheers all

Kev.

dooby
Thursday 11th September 2008, 17:06
EDIT yours is a bit newer than my '97 850 so it might be a bit different...

Coolant Level Sensor, pictured here:

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/1995/1995_960/95960_1_1.html

near the bottom. If it says the coolant's low and it's not then maybe the sensor is wrong? I think it's a floating ring with metal in it that the sensor below the coolant expansion tank 'sees' as it floats. Is the floating ring stuck? You can lift the expansion tank up without disconnecting hoses and have a play with the 2-wire sensor I think.

HTH, Pete

BigJC
Thursday 11th September 2008, 18:04
1) Set fire to it (if it doesn't do it all by itself)
2) Buy my Merc...
3) Make sure you're up ere in good time tomorrow, theres drinkin to be done!

FatLadZ
Thursday 11th September 2008, 19:56
if its a 2004 one youll need to get a 1998 + sensor
it pushes into the bottom of the expansion bottle and is clipped in.
pre 1998 ones are the same as on the s70/v70
not sure if its the same for the sensors on the +1998 v70/s70's :)

Krawli
Thursday 11th September 2008, 21:26
Thankyou for everyones help with this,
Im hoping my local dealer will carry one of the sensors in their service dept,

I am going to double check the coolant first thing in the morning, as it will be cold and have been stood all night on flat ground so should give a true reading of the fluid level,
If the level is at full (as I expect it to be) I will go and get a new sensor from the Guildford Volvo dealer and fit it myself assuming its not a big job??? (anybody know???)
As I don't fancy doing a 300 mile each way journey to the Lakes and back with a red warning light on my dash and not actually knowing if my coolant level is really low or not!!! :-/

Forum member came through again as usual ;-)
Cheers all.

Kev.

Rufe
Friday 12th September 2008, 14:36
most dealers wouldn't have one one their shelf as such, but you will find that they will get it on very quickly, the same day generally. if ordered by 9:30 we would have it in by 11:30am, and if ordered by 13:30 we would get in to our hands by around 15:30. (this is true for most parts these days.)

Price of this for reference (as i assume you have this sorted now) is as follows:

99> COOLANT TEMP SENSOR:
P/n: 9125463 (1999>) /
Volvo Price: £37.60 inc vat,
Our Price: £31.96 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £1.67 Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded Delivery
Availability: I can get one in to us the same day or the day after order is placed, depending on time of order.

Simon :)

Liddo
Friday 12th September 2008, 14:47
I ahd a similar issue with my 1999 C70, and all's I did was lift the expansion tank up and out of its holder (as simple as that, no screws or bolts) and disconnected and re-connected the sensor wire, and it was fine after that.

Incidentally, it was RIGHT after having my cambelt done, so it was probably just disturbed, or the ring was stuck as said before

;)

Rufe
Friday 12th September 2008, 14:49
if its a 2004 one youll need to get a 1998 + sensor
it pushes into the bottom of the expansion bottle and is clipped in.
pre 1998 ones are the same as on the s70/v70
not sure if its the same for the sensors on the +1998 v70/s70's :)

it is a different sensor, but same principle (earlier one is a bit cheaper though)

Azza
Monday 15th September 2008, 10:04
Completely unrelated to the actual topic but you must be pretty near me considering your Woking location!

Never seen that colour blue c70 driving around though...

rs_andy
Monday 15th September 2008, 13:18
I ahd a similar issue with my 1999 C70, and all's I did was lift the expansion tank up and out of its holder (as simple as that, no screws or bolts) and disconnected and re-connected the sensor wire, and it was fine after that.

Incidentally, it was RIGHT after having my cambelt done, so it was probably just disturbed, or the ring was stuck as said before

;)

I had the same thing after having aircon regassed, just gave the float in the tank a good prodding up and down with a screwdriver and the light went out. Figure it had been disurbed during the work and stuck in position...?

Krawli
Monday 22nd September 2008, 08:42
Good Morning all,

As most of you haved said, It was probably the recent recon work on the engine that has disturbed the sensor,
I checked the coolant level the morning of Big jc's stag and it was fine (fraction off max) but light was still on, so flew round to Guildford Volvo to collect the new sensor they had ordered and by the time I had got there the light had gone out and stayed off for the 600 "n" odd mile trip and has now been off for over a week.
It did come back on yesterday (sun 21st) but that was because it was actually doing its job as the coolant was on the min mark.

So now just a little worried about this???
Hoping its just part of the new engine sorting its self out???

Anyway thanks again everyone for all your help... top notch as usual!

Kev.

Krawli
Monday 22nd September 2008, 08:50
Completely unrelated to the actual topic but you must be pretty near me considering your Woking location!

Never seen that colour blue c70 driving around though...

Hi Azza, I've only had the motor for about 4-5 months so you might not have seen me about much.
The C70 is actually black but im guessing the pic might show it as a dark blue.