PDA

View Full Version : Can't get rear spoiler to fit

Loz1
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 19:55

Hi,

Reading through the questions and answers about fitting a rear spoiler so i thought, sound easy enough, i would have a go at doing it myself. So, got one off ebay, came complete with brackets and screws to fix brackets to spoiler and thats it. Few minutes of head scratching resulting it more head scratching and swearing, but still can't figure out how it stays in place. The brackets seem to be about 5-10mm away from the hinges and seems to be pressed up hard against the glass. I think i have the brackets the correct way round because they won't fit any other way (see attached pictures). I know they say a picture is worth a thousand words, but can anyone take some pictures to show how the spoiler fits into place. Any help would be appreciated.

Tomcat
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 20:01
Is that the only bracket you got with it?, you should also have some 'U' shaped pieces that go around the hinges.

The brackets your showing go around the edge of the tailgate and fix onto the other brackets that fit around the hinge. The two are connected by three screws. There should also be some adhesive pads to hold the spoiler onto the bodywork.

If your missing the 'U' shaped bits you can still get the fitting kits from Volvo, speak to RUFE on here, he can order them for you at a discounted rate.

If your still not sure I will take a photo of mine tomorrow for you.

Loz1
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 20:14
Thanks for that. Thought ebay was too good to be true. There's a volvo garage in the village so will order them tomorrow (should take about a day to get them). Can you still take a photo tomorrow just to be sure.

Thanks again

t5 stealth
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 20:16
i think the best thing to do is ask a volvo owner next time ur out,just ask them if u can take a look at how it fits on theirs,
its a big kit,it also has brackets & fixings in it for the v70 aswell as 850.
it will become clearer if u see another one fitted,so next time ur out shoppin etc just ask ...apparently volvo owners r nice lol

Tomcat
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 20:37
If you get one from your local dealers it'll cost you just under £40, mine did. Speak to RUFE, it'll be a damn site cheaper, you may have to wait a day or two for it to arrive but it'll save you some pennies.

Loz1
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 20:58
Just sent a request to Rufe, just waiting for a reply. Didn't realise they cost that much. Thanks again

snoop69
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 21:37
Here is my fitting kit - slightly different to yours but uses the same
principle

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/snoop69/Volvo%20V70%20T5/fixingMedium.jpg

cherry1809
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 22:31
When i asked my local main stealer for brackets, he said they were discontinued and would have to sell me the whole spoiler for £200 :pants:
I had the same issue when i bought my first spoiler from E Bay. I just drilled out the bits you have, bent them round a bit and bolted them the boot hinges. Still attached as far as i know.

Tomcat
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 23:19
The dealer lied to you then cos I bought one only a month ago..

dooby
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 23:58
Yeah I too had my local dealer a bit unsure and started saying things like "only as a bundle with something else" but persevered and they looked a bit further and found the bracket kit for around £25-£30 I think it was.

HTH, Pete

y2blade
Thursday 11th September 2008, 00:24
Here is my fitting kit - slightly different to yours but uses the same
principle

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/snoop69/Volvo%20V70%20T5/fixingMedium.jpg

the ones on mine are the same as that ^^^^

Rufe
Thursday 11th September 2008, 09:39
I have replied to the pm i was sent allready, but here is the quote in case it helps others who may search for this

855 SPOILER FITTING KIT:
P/n: 9499234
Volvo Price: £30.23 inc vat,
Our Price: £25.69 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £2.80 Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded Delivery
Availability: I can get one in to us the same day or the day after order is placed, depending on time of order, then once in it will be sent out with the Royal Mail

If you wish to go ahead and place this order then please call me on our direct parts telephone number, 01792 790066, to make the payment and to provide delivery details. We are open between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.

Simon :)

Rufe
Thursday 11th September 2008, 09:41
but persevered

lol, translates to "bothered to look"

dooby
Thursday 11th September 2008, 10:45
Hiya Simon,

thanks - it is surprising how often it's useful to be able to pop into the local dealer armed with a known good part number from you :-)

Keep up the good work ;-)

Cheers, Pete

Loz1
Sunday 14th September 2008, 18:14
A big thanks to everyone who reply to my query (special thanks to tomcat and Rufe) In the end i purchase a mounting kit from Volvo for £30.00 (same day delivery). Doddle to fit thanks to photos supplied by Y2blade (Cheers) although slightly different to kit supplied.

snoop69
Sunday 14th September 2008, 18:54
doddle to fit thanks to photos supplied by snoop69 (cheers) although slightly different to kit supplied.

:rant: :D

Loz1
Sunday 14th September 2008, 20:57
ooopppps

Apologies to Snoop69, must give credit where credit is due. Thanks for your photos showing the mounting brackets. Can't apologise enough.

Tomcat
Sunday 14th September 2008, 21:00
Glad you got sorted in the end. there's nothing worse than an estate without a spoiler, they look bare!!.

cherry1809
Tuesday 16th September 2008, 09:41
The dealer lied to you then cos I bought one only a month ago..

Why doesn't that suprise me. That'll be Kastners in Exeter then.