PDA

View Full Version : S60 T5 alarm issue

nickS60T5SE
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 22:21
I've had my 51 plate T5 for 3 trouble free months and I've just started having problems with the alarm going off without reason. The Mass movement sensor has managed to work itself loose recently from the headlining and I've struggled to get it to fit back properly since. I'm guessing that the sensor is dropping down slightly and that this is actually triggering the alarm. I've tried pressing the button on the dash which turns the alarm off (reduces the guard) but the alarm is still going off occasionally. Does this mean it's the sensor itself which is faulty? Does anyone know if these are available from main stealers only and how much they cost? Any suggestions on how to refit the sensor successfully? I'm resorting to locking the car with my key and not actually activating the alarm at all to keep the peace with my neighbours (and wife) so any help would be gratefully received!

V70R
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 22:39
Hi,
This is a known problem. Volvo sell a kit to sort it out - However its just a piece for velco!! if you look at the number on the back of the unit, your dealer will be able to confirm if your model is one of the effect.
Tip -W H Smith is cheaper than volvo for velco :o)

v70torslanda
Friday 12th September 2008, 13:41
When I worked at Volvo this was a regular part to be changed under warranty. I think your best bet would be to swallow hard and send the car to the dealer or an independent who has VIDA.

Bear in mind that if you take the car to anyone and say 'Wot's wrong wiv it, mush?' and they reply 'XYZ', if you then have them fix XYZ and that doesn't make the problem go away you are perfectly within your rights to throw it back and say 'Fix it, mush!'

However if you second guess it then there's only you picking up the tab if it has to go to the man with the computer to be fixed. Please also bear in mind that your declaration of the mechanical state of your car forms part of your contract with your insurance company. I'm sure it would take an extreme set of circumstances - or a VERY dodgy insurance company - but if your car was damaged or broken into or stolen and it emerged that a non-functioning alarm was a contributing factor then you could be faced with having to fight your insurance company for a payout.

It is becoming increasingly common for insurance companies to use the flimsiest of 'excuses' to avoid divvying up.

J

nickS60T5SE
Sunday 14th September 2008, 20:44
Many thanks for this. I have a man on the inside (so to speak) who works at a main dealer so I'm hoping I can get the car on the computer on the cheap to check if there is a fault. I have now managed to secure the sensor back to the roof but the alarm still goes off. I did take off the sensor to properly clean it up so I could resecure it and I'm not sure if it has to be reset or something when it's been reconnected. Any thoughts on that please?

v70torslanda
Sunday 14th September 2008, 21:49
If the sensor has triggered the alarm through a fault it is possible that the fault code has been registered and the alarm will not function until the fault is rectified and the fault code cleared.

J