PDA

View Full Version : symptoms of gearbox/transfer box prob on awd v70

nagrom
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 21:40
I've just been offered a '99 2.4litre awd auto V70R, but the guy says it has a noise from the rear, he thinks, which sounds like a wheel bearing or propshaft, could this be an indication of gearbox awd problems, or does an ailing g,box give different symptoms.

replies appreciated

Terminator
Friday 12th September 2008, 13:49
Probably knackered bevel gears in the transfer box. This is usually caused by running tyres with different tread patterns and wear. It is vital that the earlier AWD models have the same type of tyre and wear, the latter meaning that you should swap fronts to rears and vice versa every month or so. Check the tyres on this car and drive it round in a tight circle. If it knocks then this is the usual symptom of the above.

MisterC1501
Saturday 13th September 2008, 18:36
Walk away now........otherwise that's what you will do if you buy one of these and the gearboxes fail........

T-5HAUN
Wednesday 17th September 2008, 16:54
I had a 98 V70R AWD and it used to make some bloody funny noises from back there, its a dodgy old system if u ask me, good on a new car, best avoided on an older one. If it goes wrong you'll be in for a hefty bill, and second hand stuff is hard to come by as it's a relatively rare feature for these cars. Shaun.

mike k
Saturday 11th October 2008, 22:24
i have a 97 v70 r awd manual, has some trouble with odd sounds at low speeds coming from the transfer box area, uh ow, but it turned out to be one of the linings of the handbrake shoes had come off and was binding one of the rear wheels. been fine eversince. but thats not to say the transfer boxes are not a issue. i changed the gear oil in mine when the car had got 95,000 miles and it was ready to be changed. i had to buy the oil from the stealership as i could find no listing for it.
________
Nasty18Squirt cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Nasty18Squirt)

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 12th October 2008, 19:10
The transfer box (or angle/bevel gear) is located at the front of the car just behind the engine, so its unlikely to be that if the noise is from the rear.

Any sounds coming from the rear could relate to rear diff (although they should be quite strong). It could also be the propshaft centre bearing.

I'm not sure which year the AWD changed to the Haldex electronic system, which wuld also be attached to the rear end.

I had the handbrake lining problem too.

As said before in this post, if you don't know what it is, leave well alone, as its gonna be a money pit!