PDA

View Full Version : creak sound

stainesy
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 20:34
i have a new sound on my car
when ever i have my car on full lock to the left and drive slowly im getting a creaky sound like an old gate creaking sound from my front drivers side wheel. what could that be?

Adge
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 21:22
Dry steering lock stops? If that's what they're called. Easy to resolve...put gease on them. At least that will remove that simplest possibility.

stainesy
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 21:24
Dry steering lock stops? If that's what they're called. Easy to resolve...put gease on them. At least that will remove that simplest possibility.

whats a steering lock stop???????

whats it atached to? any pics anybody?

Adge
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 21:33
Can't post pictures! Do search, covered several times. Put wheels on full lock, no need to jack car up. Underneath you'll find nylon block which stops steering turning even more, one each side. Put blob of grease on it!

stainesy
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 21:35
ok cheers will have a look tomorow.
whats the nylon block atached to?

cameron
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 21:50
Stainesy, i think Adge is on about this bit.......................HTH Matey.

stainesy
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 22:01
oh right.
if thats a bit the just gets hit and stops the steering why would it have a constant creak when driving on full lock?

Adge
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 22:20
Slight up and down friction? Had same noise on mine, twice in couple of years. Thought I was heading for new drive shafts. Picture is worth a thousand words!!!

woz
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 14:14
ok cheers will have a look tomorow.
whats the nylon block atached to?

Its on the front(or is it back) edge of the lower suspension arm. . Mine does it too - always has . Only real solution is dont go right onto full lock - just back off a few degrees, and /or drive slowly if you have to do it.

Cheers
Woz

jonno12
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 14:35
mines the same one side has fallen off

Rufe
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 14:51
http://volvospeed.com/steerstops.php

mines the same one side has fallen off
a new one works out at about £7 iirc

Simon