PDA

View Full Version : Getting beyond a joke now! (BOOST)

chrisRSVR
Monday 8th September 2008, 20:25
Hi all, i previously posted a thread regarding my boost leak & DV, with the help of you all i came to the conclusion that the DV may not be such a great idea as it is an ME7, but as finances are tight i had no option but to keep it on and remove the resirq and blank it off. Well that was the plan, i have been away and was planning to do it when i got back, i didnt get chance to change anything before driving it for a few days and to find that i have little or no boost,(about 2psi tops and it rises to that but no matter what the revs it drops to negative instantly) my first thought was the engine has gone into safe mode, but it drives fine and fastish, just very little boost. as previously said im a bike man and no nothing about turbos, this recent issue has me seriously concerned as i have no clue where to start, the only other thing i can ad is that the engine managment light comes on and goes out as it should? i have not checked for fault codes as i am unaware of anywhere round my neck of the woods that could check. any advise or ideas would be trully apriciated, any one who contributed to my last thread thanks for the advice, i think i should have acted on it sooner rather than later. cheers all

chris

ahhpigsy
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 10:00
I can only really help with my experiences of low boost, do the obvious, checck all the hoses and unions etc. I did all this but still had low boost dropping off.

After many weeks of searching and thinking about it i found the bottom edge of the intercooler had a split. I should have checked this sooner as there was a whoosh, similar to a dump valve as the intercooler let the air escape at pressure.

Might help you.

Steve

Ross9
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 12:46
can you hear air moving when you come on boost, ie the lost air being pushed out somewhere in the engine bay, if it's revving up and the turbo is working as it should the gases will still be spinning the turbo, just that due to the leak no pressure can be built up, turbo should be spinning pretty quick so if you have standard exhaust/intake etc I'd definately have expected it to audibly be leaking boost when on the power.

Is the car totally standard?

Link to the previous thread?

Ross

chrisRSVR
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 13:22
unfortunatly my exhaust is so loud i cant hear much else?

PNuT
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 14:43
if your boost is that low, i would be suprised if its a leak because it would be that bad it would throw a code & the engine managment light would come on....

possible blocked cat!

ahhpigsy
Tuesday 9th September 2008, 16:38
if your boost is that low, i would be suprised if its a leak because it would be that bad it would throw a code & the engine managment light would come on....

possible blocked cat!

I know you would but with a gaping split in my cooler it never threw a code just dumped all the gases, had it code read probably 6 times whilst the cooler was knack and no codes.