PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Rear Tyre Wear

catesby
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 16:49
Hello all

I've just got my 96 T5 through its MOT but the tester noticed that one of my rear tyres was very worn on the inside only (it looks perfectly OK from the outside - which is what fooled me).

He said that the tyres were 'crabbing', that I should get a four wheel alignment check and that he'd seen 850s go out of line at the back before. Another friend said that I could have some worn rear suspension bushes somewhere that might need fixing.

Has anyone had any similar experience? If so how did you sort it out? Obviously it's going to cost me a fortune in tyres if I don't.

Thanks alot.

Gwaredd
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 17:52
My old man's MG ZT had the exact same problem. It was the rear tracking that was out after 'glancing' a kerb. Got it put straight & all was fine.

It's worth getting your tracking done (front & rear) at least every year IMO, especially with the condition our roads are in, & the T5's suspension is hardly soft.

Gwaredd.

nobananas
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 20:26
850 rear suspension is a bit of an oddball. It has a 'delta-arm' arrangment . This basically means that both sides have a swingarm with a vertical bush towards the front mounted to the chassis. A tapered tube on each swing-arm then passes across the vehicle to the other swingarm where it enters a bush and is bolted down to the swing-arm. If any of the bushes are worn it will upset the rear alignment and may not have been picked up on the mot as the bushes are hard to see and play is usually checked with the suspension hanging which can 'pre-load' components and eliminate play. I had to replace the front track control arm bushes at the weekend and my 850 passed it's mot a few months ago. The bushes were absolutely knackered !

Marvin
Friday 17th April 2009, 23:32
Found this old tread following a search, I have only just aquired the vehicle a V70 2.5T. Today I noticed the rear tyres were scrubbing on the inside edge Its rear discs were changed proir to my getting the vehicle, could this have affected the geometry in any way. Any further suggestions much appreciated.

dooby
Friday 17th April 2009, 23:56
I don't have much info but I don't believe there's anything you can do when changing rear discs that would cause the rear alignment to go out.

HTH, Pete

Marvin
Saturday 18th April 2009, 22:25
Took it to a Q Tyre place today and had a 4 wheel alignment check carried out, all wheels were out in some way. I have a print out showing what they are now, and ideas where I can obtain the info stating Volvo's settings.
Cost £60, but a noticable difference in steering and handling.