PDA

View Full Version : Abs

MattB
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 14:08
Before my T5, I had a 94 2litre 20v.
When starting the car, the brakes pedal would vibrate a couple of time and the ABS light would remain lit for a few seconds. This is described in the manual as an 'initial test'.

This does not happen on my 96 T5 - is it supposed to???
(I notice that the ECU and pump are different on the 2 models)
The car appears to brake ok - would probably benifit from a check over / bleeding - but passed MOT 5K ago.

:confused:

if it helps, my ecu looks like the one dave has posted a picture of here....
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=224

chriskay
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 15:33
Can't say I notice the self test either.
Cheers, Chris.

Goof
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 18:41
My manual says something similar should be expected - but nothing!, but ABS works properly (and regularly!).

JackT5
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 19:05
On my 96 both the ABS and Lambda lights stay on for a second or two when first switching on, which i presume is while the ecu's do their test, but never tried it with the brake pressed at the same time.

MattB
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 19:06
On my 96 both the ABS and Lambda lights stay on for a second or two when first switching on, which i presume is while the ecu's do their test, but never tried it with the brake pressed at the same time.

ahh - I see, I have no ABS light on start-up....
any ideas people?

if it helps, my ecu looks like the one dave has posted a picture of here....
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=224

thanks in advance....

JackT5
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 19:12
Other than check the bulb first, but then again i don't know how easy they are to get at.

MattB
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 19:16
Other than check the bulb first, but then again i don't know how easy they are to get at.

thanks jack, probably a good place to start??

nikgallagher
Wednesday 27th April 2005, 08:42
ahh - I see, I have no ABS light on start-up....
any ideas people?

I hate to be a cinic, but I would be quite suspicious if it were me. These cars are known to have problems with the ABS ECU's, and an easy remedy to stop the warning light coming on is to take the bulb out. Every Arthur Daily will have that trick up his sleeve. Also, if you're taking the dash off to put in that bulb, it might be worth replacing all the bulbs while you're there.

MattB
Wednesday 27th April 2005, 19:54
I hate to be a cinic, but I would be quite suspicious if it were me. These cars are known to have problems with the ABS ECU's, and an easy remedy to stop the warning light coming on is to take the bulb out. Every Arthur Daily will have that trick up his sleeve. Also, if you're taking the dash off to put in that bulb, it might be worth replacing all the bulbs while you're there.

Sadly (for me) you were right!
Have just removed the display and the bulb is missing. Have replaced it with the service reminder bulb and now the ABS light remains on permanently!
Guess the next step is to have the fault codes read - any ideas how to do this on the 96 model?

Have seen some code readers on eBay, but they don't appear to read the ABS codes on the 850 - assuming that it is done thru the socket next to the cigarette lighter - or is it done else where?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30921&item=7970341986&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30921&item=7970826297&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Are Volvo expensive for reading codes??

izzysnan
Wednesday 27th April 2005, 20:52
Hi
In my limited experience, the fault code reader usually shows a faulty wheel sensor but the fault is usually the ABS ECU itself - I had this problem myself & Volvo dealers charge a fortune for replacements. However Dave850r, a member of this forum fixes these ECUs and recently fixed mine for £55. Speak to him - he is really helpful - either with a personal message or through this forum. I'm sure he'll put you right.

MattB
Wednesday 27th April 2005, 21:02
Hi
In my limited experience, the fault code reader usually shows a faulty wheel sensor but the fault is usually the ABS ECU itself - I had this problem myself & Volvo dealers charge a fortune for replacements. However Dave850r, a member of this forum fixes these ECUs and recently fixed mine for £55. Speak to him - he is really helpful - either with a personal message or through this forum. I'm sure he'll put you right.

Thanks izzysnan,

now I come tothonk of it, there does appear to be some vibration from the rear nearside wheel, on ocassions, during breaking.

could well be wheel sensor???
I'll try and get in touch with Dave.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 28th April 2005, 00:27
Never fear - Dave is here. I will send you all the info you need - my fix rate has been 100% to date.

BTW - failure symptoms vary. On some, the ABS and TRACS light comes on at times and stays on, sometimes it goes off. There seems to be no pattern to the problem. The longer you experience this problem, the longer the light will stay on.

Sometimes the ABS system will activate by itself (You will hear the pump and the valves activating) when going over a bump or rough road.

Volvo will want at least £350 exchange. :jaw: which is a bit naughty IMHO