PDA

View Full Version : 850 T5 Auto Estate Questions "upgrades"

saf1972
Friday 5th September 2008, 17:13
You will have to excuse me if the questions I ask sound stupid but am a little new to the whole tunning and automatic options..

I was thinking of placing a MBC onto my car, the millage is 177'000 and was not sure if anyone would recommend doing something either to engine or turbo prior to doing this or even not do this at all.

Also am considering lowering her around 40mm but am still wanting a nice comfortable ride. My main idea was just to change the springs and keep the standard struts have options of either PI or APEX unless others are recommended. Did not really want to change all of the components as have done this previous and know that the ride is killed with performance struts and springs where previously just changing the springs has kept a comfortable ride.

Another option I am wanting to do is to place 215 45's on my standard wheels and not sure if this is possible or what it would look like thus help needed there.

Also wanting to idealy change my exhaust not sure if to go for a complete cat back or just back box to add a deper tone and also not sure of where to look, thus any help is appreciated.

Finally (at the moment) not sure what modifications are going to suit the Automatci box, was not sure if a dump valve or trumpet woould be ok to use. With reagrds to the abocve MBC if that would be ok with the auto. Everywhere I am looking people are mentioning a "RICA 280 or 304" not really sure if this is a re-map or what?

Any help with regards to the above is greatly appreciated..

Hello all by the way, another new member..

dooby
Friday 5th September 2008, 18:43
Hiya,

an MBC is a cheap and cheerful mod, and if you don't go crazy with the boost is normally OK for a bit more low down poke and a bit more boost at high revs. You may want to get a boost gauge so you can see what you're peaking at.

If you want to check the state of your turbo, take off the hose going from the airbox down to the turbo inlet and try moving the turbo's compressor wheel. If it moves in and out (what would be left to right whilst looking at the car) it's probably got quite worn seals (and at 177k I wouldn't be surprised).

You might also want to check the boost pipes coming from the turbo to see if there's much of an oily residue in them. Also, remove the under-radiator air dam and check for oil there which can seep out of the drain hole in the intercooler. If there's evidence of oil it's another sign the turbo seals are worn and oil is passing into the air stream. I refurbished my turbo when I found it was doing this:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=48611

The other thing to search for is Stage 0 i.e. checking all fluids, spark plugs, distributor cap, etc. are ready for the power increase.

I've only tried standard lowered 850R suspension and a Koni Sports Suspension setup. The Koni corners well but you pay in ride quality. I *think* the springs in the Koni kit are red PI springs, and the dampers are Koni's adjustable yellow. You might want to check if you have Nivomat self levelling rear suspension as that restricts what springs you can use unless you swap to standard dampers. Search on here but basically if your rear shocks have rubber corrugated 'bellows' you have Nivomats.

I think you'd probably get away with 215/45 assuming you're currently on a standard 205/45/R17

I've fitted a Jetex cat-back exhaust and am pretty happy with it - £300 from www.partsforvolvos.com - I get a slight drone cruising at 50mph in SPECS unless I knock my auto gearbox down into 3rd.

Dump valve is OK if you want the noise, doesn't do much for performance. To do it right you need to remove the recirculating valve off the turbo and put on a blanking plate which is fiddly. Search for Forge on PartsForVolvos (no, I don't work for them!)

An MBC would be OK with an auto as far as I know.

A RICA is one of a number of off-the-shelf ECU upgrades - sometimes known as a remap It's generally safer but more expensive than an MBC. Safer because it increases the fuelling to cope with the xtra boost whereas the MBC just relies on the stock map being able to cope (which it can if you're sensible with the MBC boost figure).

If you're going to push your auto box you might want to check the fluid is cherry red else it's due for a flush. You can search on here for a HowTo. If you want to try and protect the box you could fit an additional cooler like I have:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=53614

HTH, Pete

stevenb
Friday 5th September 2008, 21:12
hi mate just fitted an mbc to my 96 t5 and it has done wonders for performance but on advice from a volvo mastertech dont boost over 12psi which is what mine set at and there is no problems.
As dooby says get a boost gauge to keep an eye on pressure

badger1980
Saturday 6th September 2008, 11:15
am sure the auto box is good for 400bhp aslong as its in good nick if i had to choose between a mbc and a ebc it would be a ebc if u have the spare cash as it smooths out the boost and there's little chance of boost spikes.Id always recommend a boost gauge to go along with it so u can keep an eye on the boost levels if u fit a mbc only adjust it in very small increments as every car can be slightly different .

saf1972
Thursday 11th September 2008, 22:24
Many thanks for all help so far, will be starting on her soon and hopefuly get a wip post going..

cameron
Friday 12th September 2008, 09:29
My old 96 T5 was Rica'd and had an MBC and to be honest i took the MBC off and the car run 10 times better and even felt quicker.

But everybody to their own, maybe it was because it had the Rica, im not sure, if your car hasnt got a Superchip that would be my first port of call along with a stage 0.

My car come ready with the Rica and i got it from a dealer for £900, a bargain, or so i thought until i had to find a Tracs ABS Pump.

But the MBC is like others have been saying a cheap and cheerful mod, if the pennies are short then carry on regardless and the best of luck mate.