PDA

View Full Version : Chips

Pistol Pete
Thursday 4th September 2008, 21:28
i wanna remap my ecu
what extra power etc sould i expect in the c70 and how much difference and where to go???

how much should it be

cheers

pete

Wombatbomb
Thursday 4th September 2008, 21:37
What year is the car?

P.S. Make sure the car is fully Stage 0 tuned before you do anything else.

lutonmatt
Thursday 4th September 2008, 21:40
i thought you was going to say who whats some chips yes please salt and vinger on mine lol

i have wondered about chipping mine up

Wombatbomb
Thursday 4th September 2008, 21:41
Your's is ME7 Matt, so an MTE is (last time I looked) £511, and usual result is around the 280bhp with no other mods. You'll have to wait for someone else to give you a price for RICA or BSR.

mitsy
Thursday 4th September 2008, 21:50
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk228/bryanstrt/u19771873.jpg

Pistol Pete
Friday 5th September 2008, 08:30
hi ya

its a early 1998 on a r plate

its all stock with 88k on the clock

cheers

Azza
Friday 5th September 2008, 09:54
Matt don't hesitate in doing it.

I got the RICA PPC from RT Mechanics at a great price offer as it was discounted and the difference is HUGE. It's really transformed my car from something that was fast before, to something that is really really quick now!

I wrote a write-up on it before but i think it's all been lost now since that forum problem.

Seriously though, don't think about it, do it!

c70Portree
Friday 5th September 2008, 11:10
i have a 99' c70 t5 gt with a k and n cone induction kit with a direct air feed, totally standard apart from that, i was goint to go to rica next week and get the 310bhp chip put in do i need to do anything else first?

Wombatbomb
Friday 5th September 2008, 18:22
A RICA 310 does NOT give 310bhp.

Make sure the car is fully stage 0'd first, and make sure all the boost pipes are in good condition.

Wombatbomb
Friday 5th September 2008, 18:25
hi ya

its a early 1998 on a r plate

its all stock with 88k on the clock

cheers

Ok, the MTE map for that was £295, but I heard recently that it may have gone up to £365, you'll have to ask Don to get the definitive answer, www.kalmar-union.com

RICA prices I have no idea about. Trying contacting Russ @ RT, he's a RICA dealer.

lutonmatt
Friday 5th September 2008, 19:18
Matt don't hesitate in doing it.

I got the RICA PPC from RT Mechanics at a great price offer as it was discounted and the difference is HUGE. It's really transformed my car from something that was fast before, to something that is really really quick now!

I wrote a write-up on it before but i think it's all been lost now since that forum problem.

Seriously though, don't think about it, do it!

well i have to save first i have not done much to mine have a k&n panel one on there and a black grill but all my money gets spent on my trans am as thats worth more and i will keep it longer

Neil
Friday 5th September 2008, 22:23
i have a 99' c70 t5 gt with a k and n cone induction kit with a direct air feed, totally standard apart from that, i was goint to go to rica next week and get the 310bhp chip put in do i need to do anything else first?

I'd put the stock airbox back, take off the snow guard, and if it's real important to you, put in a K&N panel filter.

c70Portree
Saturday 6th September 2008, 01:46
A RICA 310 does NOT give 310bhp.

Make sure the car is fully stage 0'd first, and make sure all the boost pipes are in good condition.

what is stage 0? and i went on the rica site and they said for £472.98 they would chip it and remap it to end up with 310 BHP

Wombatbomb
Saturday 6th September 2008, 09:52
what is stage 0? and i went on the rica site and they said for £472.98 they would chip it and remap it to end up with 310 BHP

Stage 0 is a good service and check over of key components which should be done before modifying the car. http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217

I'll pm you the link to the one I used (last time I posted it Justin deleted it because he has a problem with the forum that it is hosted on).

With regards to 310bhp, I know what the RICA website says, however, if you look closely, tucked away on the left of the webpage you'll find this handy litle disclaimer....

The figures quoted are taken from the actual time of development of the tuning software for that car when it was new.

Your engine and the various components must be in good condition for the engine to achieve the power and torque figures. The correct fuel must also be used. Under certain adverse ambient conditions, your ECU will automatically reduce the power for safety. This is perfectly normal.

All figures are within 5% tolerance. The figures quoted are as measured at RICA Engineering in the Netherlands using their dyno equipment which is currently a MAHA LPS 3000 rolling road.

So, what they are saying is that they achieved the figures once, on their development vehicle whilst using their own rolling road equipment. Do you think that perhaps they would of had everything set at the absolute optimum on the vehicle when they went for the power figure? Do you think it likely that your car is going to be identical to their development car? That all the components are going to be of identical wear? That the weather conditions (i.e. ambient temperature, humidity etc) are going to be identical all the time to the figure that they managed whilst testing?

Of all the folks who have had their cars RICA 310'd, then had them dyno'd, I can't remember any that have achieved better than 290bhp without further changes. I'm sure I've forgotten one or two, but that's all. How many have had the RICA fitted?

Take ANY bhp's gains claimed by any tuner with a large dose of salt. The figures produced by any 2 "identical" cars can be very different, from the very second the engine is assembled until the day the car is scrapped.