PDA

View Full Version : brake discs

lutonmatt
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 20:33
i think i might need new front discs and pads soon as i think i might be over heating them a bit at the mo
following a mate after work as you do a bit of messing about him in his rover me in my t5 a lot of braking to stop me hiting him
on the way back home when they was still warm they was squeking all over the place and i do get a bit of wheel wobble from them when they are hot that shows they are warped

so i have seen some vented and drilled ones on ebay any one used them
i dont wnat to spend mega money on them as this is going to be a cheap car to run around in (exp fuel)
and what pads have never fitted any drilled ones before i know that the green and red and all the colours do diff things but what

most of my driving is when the brakes are cold but every now and then when i floor it i want it to brake

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 20:36
Just fit the standard Volvo discs & pads, Rufe will give you a decent price.

lutonmatt
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 21:30
i can get volvo onesok as a mate works at volvo but need some that can take the heat a bit better

t5 pete
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 21:57
I have fitted the drilled and grooved discs to the front and rear also have the 302mm brakes on the front and never had a problem with the as i used to over heat my standard ones also the drilled and grooved discs are on sale on ebay and arnt too expensive

lutonmatt
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 22:34
thanks pete are you running on normal pads or green stuff

dooby
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 23:28
Hiya,

I cooked a set of 302mm EBC grooved and dimpled discs on a track day. I was advised to go back to Volvo discs which I've done and they really are good quality. I haven't managed to cook the Volvo discs yet.

Not sure what size your car runs but I've got some genuine 302mm Volvo discs I've just taken off mine after less than 5k miles. Let me know if you're interested.

HTH, Pete

Al115
Thursday 4th September 2008, 01:06
I used to get brake fade on stock discs and pads after really hard driving, but that was pushing things way beyond normal road use! If I had a stock car I'd definitely stick the standard discs and pads back on. Cheap grooved/drilled discs just annoy me. Grooved ones make more noise and drilled ones tend to crack when cooling, and neither stops much better than stock.

Ferrodo DS2500 are the way to go if you want to upgrade the pads?