PDA

View Full Version : Lowering.....

M44K TS
Monday 25th April 2005, 23:18
After spending all weekend watching my mates 106 GTi being lowered from the standard 4x4 height to super-sexy low, i've decided I want my Volvo done.

I'm only thinking swapping the springs for looks, i know i won't benifit handling wise but which springs to go for? I was thinking about 40mm lower than standard, which springs and how much is the question to be asked here

any suggestions?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 25th April 2005, 23:20
My 850R lowering springs are available - Still in good nick - £95 + p & p. It will drop you car by the required amount.

If you want good new ones - then the eibach springs are excellent. Remember springs will only alter the ride height. Good set of dampers are worth the effort.

Lowering does improve the handling by lowering the centre of gravity.

If you havent already an OEM Volvo strut brace will tighten up the front end.

Depends what you have in mind for budget. you must also bear in mind how long you plan to keep the car - in order to get your money's worth.

M44K TS
Monday 25th April 2005, 23:24
hmmm there's a thought, i need to get a couple of things sorted on the car first (like the lambda light - still!) and i need to get the bonnet chips sorted but thanks for the offer

Wobbly Dave
Monday 25th April 2005, 23:28
Basically I used to have self leveling dampers on the back of the 850R - which like the rest of the dampers were knackered. The spring steel remains the same. As it costs loads to replace the SL Dampers plus I decided I didnt need the carrying capability - I had to replaced the springs as well as the dampers (now non SL Monroe Reflex). The set up has transformed the car. Good news is I have the old springs for just the lowering job - so long as you have SL dampers on your car now.

M44K TS
Monday 25th April 2005, 23:30
apparently i haven't, i asked about this on the old VT5 forum and someone said my car won't have the SL dampers, I'll check though

After_Shock
Monday 25th April 2005, 23:42
Eibachs are definately the ones, I had them fitted to my astra a good few years back and to say it transformed the handling is an understatement, it was a sport model so had slightly different suspension from the standard cars anyway but with the springs it was something else around the bends.

vt5
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 00:05
Dave just so happens im on the market for some springs.......

How much is p+p cos i poss could pick them up?

OE volvo 850R springs will they fit a saloon? and how much drop?

:rice:

vt5
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 00:06
And basically.....are they cool for a 96 saloon, standard shocks ?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 00:13
Not 100% sure, about your car. I will check and let you know. Do you have SL Dampers on the rear? The drop is ~30 - 40 mm. Nice and low without being slammed.

If you are going to Stretton Fox then I can bring 'em with.

vt5
Thursday 28th April 2005, 09:21
Dont think i have SL shocks....just standard cop shocks probably.