PDA

View Full Version : gear knob change?

jonno12
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 16:52
i have to change the gear knob on mine and cant for the life of me get it to budge ive got the gaitor off but the gear knob wont move any ideas anyone?
much appretiated for any advice as im getting a little peed off now been out there 45 mins and its driving me mad lol

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 16:57
It's removed with a very sharp, very hard jerk (not a constant pull, just a sudden, sharp yank). Normal method is to kneel on the two front seats, but if you have a sunroof standing is also an option.

jonno12
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 16:58
cheers mate ill give it a try my arms are killing me lol

jonno12
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 17:03
nope wont budge i think its time to cut it off unless theres another way

DuncVolvoTurbo
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 17:27
Hi there,

I wish I could give some better advice, but I have just done this myself, and as you know, it is a right P.I.T.A.

I just had to use a hacksaw and Dremel to get mine off. There are 4 clips that circle the shaft, and I couldn't see anyway of getting to them. I did try to get to them from underneath, but I ended up ruining my gear gaiter in the process.

Sorry, I couldn't have been more help!

jonno12
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 17:33
ive managed to get the gear gaitor down low ill have to see if there is any way i can see the clips as its being a right pig to get off even if i bust the clips off i dont mind as ive got a new one anyway were they metal clips or plastic do you know?

DuncVolvoTurbo
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 17:38
ive managed to get the gear gaitor down low ill have to see if there is any way i can see the clips as its being a right pig to get off even if i bust the clips off i dont mind as ive got a new one anyway were they metal clips or plastic do you know?

Just 4 plastic clips all the way around, just like you would have found on the gaiter at the top.

jonno12
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 17:39
excelent ill get a thin screwdriver and try and prise them off mate many thanks

DuncVolvoTurbo
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 17:42
No probs mate, glad I could have been a small help to someone! lol!

jonno12
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 17:50
nope still cant get it off managed to prize the clips bk but no go so i guess its a cut off job i think

DuncVolvoTurbo
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 17:56
nope still cant get it off managed to prize the clips bk but no go so i guess its a cut off job i think

At least you managed to save your gaiter, I needed to buy a new one from Adam (member Readview).

jonno12
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 18:01
ouch mine is worn but will change i think when i cut it offive split the black surround on the gear knob now so had to glue it bk together untill i get another gaitor

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 18:19
You will have to destroy it.... typical Volvo over engineering means that there isn't much you can do about it if you can't pull it off..... I used a set of mole grips and twisted it until it fell apart....

jonno12
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 19:42
and destroy it i did lol used a 1/4 inch chisel and it poped off in 2 mins it must be in about 100 bits on the car floor now so guess ill have to get the valeting stuff out tomorrow and give her a clean but all done nice new chrome one on and old one in bits lol

stainesy
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 19:43
why have you got to get the gear knob off?

jonno12
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 20:12
got a new one mate a chrome one which i had volvo t5 engraved into it by a mate looks wicked ill try and get a cam to take some pics the gear nos. are all ingraved to cost me 6 quid in all 3.50 for the knob n 2.50 for the engraving

stainesy
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 20:17
sounds nice mate. i would like to have a nice gear knob but cant as mine is an auto so cant change it

jonno12
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 20:22
thats where ya wrong my friend you can if you look on google there is a few posts on other sites where they tell you how to do it hows yours running now mate