PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a new V70R

macV70R
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 17:49
Thinking about a new V70R phase 2, are the auto gearboxes problematic?
Is the auto much slower than manual?
Anyone got an auto v70r on here that has been remapped? I am curious as to the power etc.
I heard that they dont have 300bhp stock anyway.
Also what is the problems with the driveshaft/4c or something? (I think justin had a major problem with his)

The prices are becoming really affordable, I couldnt believe it when I saw a s60r on the trader for 7K!!

any info welcome, thanks

Mac

Justin
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 18:47
Hey Mac, my take:

Tuned they are very reasonable, a touch quicker than a well tuned phase one car thats running corectly. Comfort, handling and design for me were very good, however there are a few issues.

The 4c system is fine, no issues, the angle gear or transferbox as some call it can be an issue when the cars are either driven hard, uneven tyres on each corner and even just because they fail. Ultimately the seals break down and leak oil, drying the box and chewing the angle gear. Its called that because it turns the drive 90° to meet the prop.

The KKK turbo is very good and widely used, although Volvo's version was especially built. This makes them expensive (Rufe quoted me around £700+ VAT exchange) then it has to be fitted. I had both go on mine but i suspect that the turbo failure was due to a foriegn object in the intake (Volvo had the car to do the angle gear and a few days after the turbo started making a high pitched whine. Turns out the impellers blades were damaged and one was missing!!!!! I managed to have mine refurbed by Turbo dynamics but only as the replacements were that hard to get.

If the gear is damaged or starting you will get transmission noise on acceleration, a "whurr" or "drone" Listen carefully when test driving (No dolby pro logic demo's)

If you can buy one with a Volvo warranty i would, as otherwise hefty bills may follow.

Expect 22mpg and 30 on a run, have a look at the trip and see what its keeper is driving it like. Also check the exhaust back box as they tend to decay on the rear, hangers and the outer shell of the boxes go. A new exhaust is £800.

Don't be put off by these things, just be aware and buy with Volvo warranty!

HTH :)

macV70R
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 19:52
thanks for the info Justin. I was even looking at an s60r just for the price, they are so cheap.How many miles were on yours before you got your issues with it?

V70R
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 20:04
Hi,
I have a 2004 V70R GT with a Ricq PPC. I honestly have to say I love this car !! I normally change vehicles every 12 months but 18 months into ownership and I'm still not thinking of letting her go. Everyone will tell you the manual box is best, but with the Rica upgrade RT storted me out with I'm really happy.

However - They maybe getting cheaper to purchase BUT its the most expensive car to run I've owned. I get about 20mph and she runs on super unleaded, road fund tax will be £440 next year and the servicing is mega !! Discs+pads arent cheap either. I'm about to start a thread in a mo re servicing.

Good luck and pick a decent one. The wait will be worth it

Justin
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 20:17
Roughly started at 57k, thats when i first heard the transmission. Brakes as V70R said are not cheap either. But compared to my RS4 (£1000 for front disks and pads) they are pennies :)

burchi
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 21:49
Hi Mac

I think the general consensus by owners on these cars is they are great fun to drive. It's a nice place to be with lots of creature comforts etc.

They can be an absolute money pit though. Buying one without a warranty would be financial suidice potentially.

As Justin said there can be problems with the Angle Gear, not to mention many sensor issues (fuel pressure, boost pressure, MAF, clutch position sensor), boost control valve, fuel pump control module and fuel pump itself. Mine has had the whole lot replaced except the angle gear. Oh and steering rack and front shocks too and most recently the whole engine due to a cracked block.

The cars can handle a whole load better with decent tyres (not Pirelli's), and I would recommend the IPD anti roll bar upgrade and HD link rods too together with Powerflex wishbone bushes and upgraded transmission lower torque mount. Rear side hop is also a characteristic of the cars over uneven surfaces but this can be sorted with setting the rear toe in to Zero.

If you get one you really won't be disappointed but a warranty is a MUST.

Hope you find what you are after.

Regards

Ian

simonc
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 23:13
I've had mine 2yrs & not really had any trouble with it, its 5yrs old now & done 59k & my warranty is up but plan on keeping it for another 3yrs or so, the only that has gone wrong is the drivers heated seat not working/gets too hot but i can live with that. Do agree that they are expensive to run,fuel,tax,tyres & depriciation, servicing is no more than any other car i've had. The wife drives it mostly so it has an easy life & the car is standard.

Simon.

V70R999
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 23:22
Blimey I didnt realise how much they had dropped i price. On autotrader there's a 2004/04 S60R manual one owner FVSH 77k miles with 6 months warranty only 7k.

simonc
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 23:47
Saloon Volvo's are always cheaper than the estates, V70R's are more money but not a lot more.