PDA

View Full Version : Tracing Turbo leak

BrightonBreezy
Monday 25th April 2005, 21:16
I've got an intermittent DSTC that appears when the car is at high boost & high load.
The code is P1238 = ECM-6806 Turbocharger (TC) control system flow fault Flow too high. Permanent / intermittent fault
Visually I can't find any split or loose hoses that may be the source.
Vadis suggests pressurising the air inlet side with compressed air and using soap solution to trace the leak. Fine if you have a ready source of compressed air and some sort of adapter but I don't.
Does anyone have any suggestions for tracing the leak? In particular of creating enough boost in the system to blow bubbles even when the car is stationary.

thanks,
Robb

volvotuning
Monday 25th April 2005, 23:34
A dyno will do precisely that.

Adam.

BrightonBreezy
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 09:21
Ah yes, do you mind if I borrow yours for an hour? I'll bring it back, honest. ;)

glock19
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 16:51
Ah yes, do you mind if I borrow yours for an hour? I'll bring it back, honest. ;)

You serious ?

BrightonBreezy
Wednesday 27th April 2005, 09:24
What, serious that I'd bring it back again? No, not really.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 27th April 2005, 12:52
What? you wouldn't bring it back! LOL

BrightonBreezy
Monday 9th May 2005, 16:54
Whilst at VT last Friday, I had them have a look at the engine with a view to getting it RICA'd. I knew it had a leak so wasn't performing too well to start with.
Hamish found the leak straight away - where the over-pipe mounts to the front of the engine. Apparently, very common on cop cars for some reason.
However, even with the leak plugged it was still only capable of of boosting to about 0.6 bar.
It appears that the engine block and cylinder head have been replaced relatively recently but that the turbo unit is probably still the original and well past its sell-by date.
With the leak plugged and the actuator set properly it is already quite a bit better than before so I'm just going to leave it for now. There's higher priorities for the moment.
There's also a naughty little voice saying "if you're going to replace the turbo anyway, why not slap on a 19T?" :firedevil

Mrsmopp
Monday 9th May 2005, 17:00
There's also a naughty little voice saying "if you're going to replace the turbo anyway, why not slap on a 19T?" :firedevil

LOL!! every cloud has a silver lining! :sinner:

x

Wobbly Dave
Monday 9th May 2005, 23:06
Rob, you knew (like you said) that the car would need work. I still believe that buying XPC is a lottery and it is not unkind to say that XPC need more work than most. It is fair to say IMHO that these cars are generally a bit shagged, and whilst you might save on the initial purchase price - tuning and developing them is a lot harder than a cared-for private t5??

Anyway I enjoyed meeting you and I hope that your car is well soon.

BrightonBreezy
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 21:28
I agree with what you're saying but it's "horses for courses".
If I'd bought a private, low-mileage, 4 year old car, it would have set me back £14k instead of the £4k I paid for mine. You can do an awful lot for the £10k difference.
Quite frankly, I can't afford £14k for a phase2 V70 and I understood full well what sort of car I would get buying one for £4k instead.
And, you know what? I really quite enjoy fixing cars and sourcing the bits and chatting to other enthusiasts. I like having the project and seeing the progress I make.
And even if I had bought a "perfect" example, I would still have spent more money getting it exactly as I wanted.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 01:23
Fair play - I hope by the end that you will finish with a car you are happy with