PDA

View Full Version : Suspension probs...

Tomcat
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 15:59
I put my car in for an MOT about a week ago, it failed on both lower ball joints and a knackered ball joint on one of the drop links. I've replaced both lower wishbones and replaced both drop links with the IPD adjustable drop links I've had lying around since I bought them. The trouble now is that the car feels really fidgety on the road, the steering just doesn't feel right. I realised today that I'd tightened the inner bolts up on the wishbones the wrong way, I'd just tightened them up rather than doing it with the car on it's wheels. I've re done them today but it's not made any difference.

The only other thing that's changed is the adjustable drop links, at the moment they're about 10mm longer than the standard ones, I figured I'd try em with a minimal adjustment before winding them right out. Could it be anything to do with these?...

Any help appreciated as it's booked in on thursday for it's re test(mot runs out thursday).

jonno12
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 16:17
may just be the tracking needs redoing mate as it may have realigned it a bit

Alan M
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 17:17
It may just be something a simple as a loose bolt. Silly question but did you check everything over a couple of times to make sure? I'd say fit some polybuses in the new arms and get the car set up on a four wheel alignment system. See if the problems are there after the alignment setup.

iGGy
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 18:06
With the extra length in the links you possibly have loaded the anti-roll bar a bit more than usual. Did you get it retracked after the wishbone change? Too much toe-in can make if feel a bit jittery.

Tomcat
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 18:11
No, must admit that the tracking never occured to me, I just presumed that changing the arms wouldn't alter the tracking. I'll get it checked when I get paid Thursday. Cheers guys.

nobananas
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 19:29
No, must admit that the tracking never occured to me, I just presumed that changing the arms wouldn't alter the tracking. I'll get it checked when I get paid Thursday. Cheers guys.

If you've fitted pattern arms TC then chances are the tracking will be a mile out !. I fitted one pattern arm on mine and checked the tracking the day after (the steering wheel was no longer straight so the alarm bells went off !) and it was toeing out to the tune of 1.5 degrees !! (practically off the gauges !). I reset the tracking but was never totally happy with the idea so a second hand genuine arm went on shortly after !

shaun850
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 20:35
I hope you diddnt replace the lower arm's with GSF item's mate......

Tomcat
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 21:05
God no, they where from the local motor factors. To be honest I wanted genuine ones but being as the mot expiry date was looming and I couldn't afford them I had to settle for these.

Tomcat
Thursday 4th September 2008, 22:29
Took the car in to get it's tracking done today, managed to get it done nearby for £10!!!, bargain,lol. When they checked it was miles out, 6mm one side 9mm the other!. All sorted now and all better, thanks for pointing out the bleedin' obvious.