PDA

View Full Version : Boost problem i think....

wegal
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 14:05
I have the autologic map on my car and recently it has started doing something odd, it will boost very hard and then cut the boost totally leaving me with no boost and not much acceleration, it has also become juddery on the motorway when trying to cruise along in the 70 to 80 mark.

It has had the map on for a while now with no problems, the map is very aggressive so it does take a bit of getting used to and does make the car harder to drive day to day, but this started last week.

I filled up at a shell station with V-power, its not the shel station i normally use but shells shell right ? Anyway this problem then started. I have run the tank down and filled up again from my normal station ( v-power) and the problem is less apparent, it doesnt seem to be cutting the boost totally now but it does seem juddery on the motorway.

Question is before i fire it back to volvo or HLM to have it checked is it possible i just got some bad fuel ? Or is it possible that something else has gone wrong. If its cutting the boost totally will this throw up a fault code ? The juddering feels like a slight miss fire and may not be boost related at all.

The car is an 06 plate with 30 k on the clock and geartronic box.

If it carrys on im really thinking about having it put back to standard cos its a bloody nightmare to drive at the moment.

Any suggestions, i have done a track day in it and have not changed the plugs or oil or filters, would that maybe be a good place to start ?

Please note i am not in anyway having a go at HLM or there products here, if there is a problem i would trust them 100% to sort it.

screwloose
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 15:32
mine had intermittent boost, and it was the Maf,

it would boost fine then change gear and drop out of boost, mine is manual though

cornclose
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 16:16
Have you had the ETM clean/software update ? Or is your's one that isn't affected by the failing ETM syndrome ?

hamish
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 17:23
Hi,

Wegal PM sent.

Cornclose the probability of it needing an ETM reload on a 2006 MY T5 is nil. After 2002 the cars were fitted with a different ETM (manufactured by Bosch and not MM). This later ETM is controlled by the ECM. So very different to your old 2001 car.

Regards,
Hamish.

cornclose
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 17:26
oops - missed the bit where wegal said it was an '06...

cornclose
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 17:27
Would be interested to see what the outcome is anyway... I'm still undecided on which remap to go for on mine. :wiggle:

hamish
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 18:03
Cornclose,

I think you will find that the problem is unrelated to which remap is on this car. This is a problem we came across with Rica tuned S60R's on a regular basis sometimes straight after tuning. It will also aflict standard cars if they are run on 95 Ron fuel and driven hard.
The clue lies in the current mileage, and higher than standard boost pressure, and hard driving.
The car has behaved perfectly for 6 months and only now as it approaches the end of the recommended servicable life of the spark plugs does it have a slight problem.

Regards,
Hamish.

wegal
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 10:51
Hamish thanks for the PM. I was in NO WAY implying that it was a mapping problem as you know I am super pleased with the work you did, just putting as much info as poss to see if there was something dead common i may have overlooked..... which hopefully it is. Didnt want to bother you with what is probably a daft issue if there was a dead easy fix. I know how many calls you get every day from people asking you bone head questions.... didnt want to add my name to the list !!

I'll put new plugs in and see what happens, if it doesnt improve then ill bring it down and you can work your magic on it again for me.

Once again hamish thanks for the PM sorry didnt mean to cause you any offence.

Cheers
David

wegal
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 10:59
Would be interested to see what the outcome is anyway... I'm still undecided on which remap to go for on mine. :wiggle:

Hamish's - plain and simple. Which ever one he puts on you will drive home with the taste of adrenaline in your mouth and the smell of fear in the car !! The map i have is VERY good, it does make the car more edgy under normal driving, but that just helps to make the car feel alive, like it wants to make you drive faster so that it can kill you. I love driving cars that constantly try to kill me. When i plant my foot you have to hang on.. and i do mean hang on, it takes off like a scolded cat being chased by a hungry dog !!

Ive been in Rica'd cars and they are fast no mistake, its just for me the autologic map is more agressive which i really like.

cornclose
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 11:51
That's what I'm after - an agressive response lower down in the rev range. I want my V70 to feel as quick as my Saab 9000 did - at the moment it's nowhere near, despite the 9000's 200 bhp versus the T5's 250 bhp.

However they both have about the same maximum torque figure, but the Saab's was fairly flat and started way down at about 1500-1700 rpm if I recall. In the stock T5 you don't get much below 3000 rpm. The result was that the Saab felt a hell of a lot quicker IMO.

So, my question as to which remap to go for is still open. I want the most low down grunt, not too concerned about what figures for bhp it gives, it's torque and lots of it I want.

The problem as always is that a lot of peeps say the remap they have is the best one. Very few peeps must have tried different maps on the same car, so it comes down to me having to rely on people like Hamish or RT Mechanic's views as to which would suit me best.

So, what remap would suit me the best ?

wegal
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 12:44
The torque figure for mine is 449nm it is generating this at about 3500 rpm if i remember the chart correctly, it goes ok till it hits 3.5k on the rev counter and then the whole world goes balistic, which in truth is a good thing if it was generating that torque at 2k it would be undrivable.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f222/wegal/scan0001.jpg

You dont live that far away Cornclose so if you fancy meeting up one night at J35a of the M1 i will take you for a run over the wood head, you'll soon get a feel for how quick it is.

cornclose
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 12:56
That graph looks interesting Wegal, but it doesn't show anything below 2500rpm, which is where I want the most guts. Is there such a map out there what will do what the Saab did ? (anyone ?)

Thanks for the offer of ride - however, J35 (Sheffield is it?) is probably a bit too far for an evening jaunt for me (certainly during the week anway...). :)