PDA

View Full Version : The Grey S40 Trim

Stevie-Boy
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 12:40
Has anyone got any tips on how to make the grey body trim on the S40 look new again?

I am guessing back to black isn't the answer and I don't think they do a back to Grey or maybe even Away to Grey?!

I polished the car for ages the other day and it was gleaming but the grey looked really lifeless and kinda spoiled it especially because I'd gotten polish on the grey and made it look a bit white and I can't bring it up at all.

Cheers.

Al115
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 13:04
Hello - if you want it to look black like this:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?p=179660#post179660

then try black shoe polish, in the "rapid-application" squeezy bottle type dispenser...

Al115
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 13:05
Presumably there's a grey equivalent? :)

Stevie-Boy
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 14:46
Nice one, will give that a go and see how it comes up. I'd be happy for it to be black, just figured it was born grey and always going to be grey!!

Al115
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 14:55
It's a really good solution. Did it to my green T4 (same as yours... :D) a few months back and it still looks amazing! Takes many coats though, plan on spending an afternoon to do it properly.

Stevie-Boy
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 15:10
What did you apply it with in order to not get any on the paintwork anywhere?

Al115
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 15:19
My dad. :D

kyebosh
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 15:26
If you wanted to keep the Trim Grey then try this, I,ve always used it on the Grey Trim on my T5 with superb results.

http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/poorboys-trim-restorer-p-61.html

woz
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 23:05
i just had GREAT success with Meguiars Wet Look tyre gel - applied using an appixator pad so it does not go anywhere it shoud not - Its alsted a couple of weeks so far looking as new and these were VeVERY tired trims, believe me. Used on on teh door handles , bumper tops and rubbing strips.
Going to try on my daughters Tigra next. If it can make a 96 Tigra look good then its a miracle cure ;>)
P.s Mine is an 850, but hey - plastic is plastic!
Woz

jimka
Friday 26th September 2008, 16:34
i just had GREAT success with Meguiars Wet Look tyre gel - applied using an appixator pad so it does not go anywhere it shoud not - Its alsted a couple of weeks so far looking as new and these were VeVERY tired trims, believe me. Used on on teh door handles , bumper tops and rubbing strips.
Going to try on my daughters Tigra next. If it can make a 96 Tigra look good then its a miracle cure ;>)
P.s Mine is an 850, but hey - plastic is plastic!
Woz

really greesy stuff to use, i tried an it went everywhere (well i did knock the bottle over) I prefer autoglym bumper restorer in the trade bottle... thick and goey.. how it should be ;)

thebadger
Saturday 27th September 2008, 16:51
I used a trim restorer from halfrauds on my old bin on wheels.

For six, she looked about one!

I do know it's a liquid pvc type deal, adds a sheen & a coat of plastic all at once! Hides some minor scuffs etc.

Good stuff! (wear gloves if you like yer flesh tho!)

pangster
Saturday 27th September 2008, 17:00
i use Auto Glym Bumper Care costs about a fiver but the results are well worth it and long lasting.. HTH

woz
Monday 29th September 2008, 12:43
really greesy stuff to use, i tried an it went everywhere (well i did knock the bottle over) I prefer autoglym bumper restorer in the trade bottle... thick and goey.. how it should be ;)

Thanks - I will try that next time though current application seems to be lasting well.

I applied it using a little foam app pad, and managed to keep it only on the plastic - not even on the paint :>). Its fine after rain as well I have now found out. But agreed - I generally dont like using something for the wrong purpose - you never know what may happen longer term! One presumes these people have tested their stuff for the purpose they flog it for. If they thought tyre gel worked on plastics perhaps they would sell it as such?

Cheers
WAF.