PDA

View Full Version : MAF cleaner

princepugh
Monday 1st September 2008, 11:07
Anyone ever had cause to use this? Was it any use? Where can you get it in the UK?

http://www.autobarn.net/maairflsecl1.html

Yosser
Monday 1st September 2008, 11:17
I've never seen it in the UK, but I've used electrical contact cleaner and it seemed to be ok.

Stuff like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200236890989&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=200245110891&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu% 3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

Rufe
Monday 1st September 2008, 11:55
you have to be very careful when cleaning the MAF sensor, many products will cause more long term harm than good. That product in the first post certainly looks adequate, though i have never used that one here.

We have used Forte intake cleaner here in the past, which clearly states MAF friendly on the tin. We currently do not have stock of this, but i have seen people selling Forte products on Ebay in the past. May be worth a search for the Forte intake cleaner perhaps.

Simon

Yosser
Monday 1st September 2008, 12:19
FWIW my understanding is that Forte products are in general pretty good, so thats probably sound advice from Rufe.

tomtyres
Monday 1st September 2008, 14:19
don't use 'brake cleaner' it's baaad!

princepugh
Monday 1st September 2008, 14:33
Thanks guys - the Wynns stuff is readily available but the Forte product isn't a regular shoppers item so will look to order online. I'm guessing the active ingredient is isopropyl alcohol but the manufacturers tend to be a bit vague about the content.

princepugh
Thursday 4th September 2008, 11:00
Folks - for information, here's the reply I got from CRC re their MAF cleaning product:-

"... this product is only produced in the US for the North-American market. However [there is] a very similar product called 'Air Sensor Cleaner' for Europe .. not yet available in the UK, but in a very near future it will become available from our new distributor in Ireland, Autoparts Express, Dublin."

I've ordered the Forte product, as recommended by Rufe, for now.

PP

Jaseb77
Thursday 4th September 2008, 13:03
can i enquire where you got the Forte stuff ??

princepugh
Thursday 4th September 2008, 16:27
Well, *ahem* , it's supposed to be trade only but you could have a look at camskill.co.uk

PP