PDA

View Full Version : rica 304

stainesy
Sunday 31st August 2008, 20:53
thinking of getting a rica 304 chip for my T-5R
but dont no anything about it.
can i have some info please like what does it do to my engine. how much diferance does it make, where can i get one and how much are they to buy.
also how do i fit one?

adey
Sunday 31st August 2008, 20:59
hi chap iv got one on mine and its great and wont do anythink to your motor but make it faster lol

stainesy
Sunday 31st August 2008, 21:11
so what exactly does it do to the engine/ecu
where can i get one and how much for?

Tomcat
Sunday 31st August 2008, 21:41
Speak to Hamish at VT, he's doing them for older one's like ours now for £150!!!, I confirmed this only last week with them.

dooby
Sunday 31st August 2008, 21:50
Hiya,

roughly speaking the RICA304 changes the boost levels and fueling so the car will boost earlier and harder, and add the extra fuel needed to run those higher boost levels.

Your engine ECU looks like this:

http://volvospeed.com/obd2/overview1.jpg

You either take your stock one out and pop in the RICA replacement, or you send off your ECU and the company modifies it and sends it back.

If you like, when we meet up for the rear suspension we can go out in my car with the stock ECU then with the RICA. It makes quite a difference!

Cheers, Pete

Alan M
Sunday 31st August 2008, 21:57
Speak to Hamish at VT, he's doing them for older one's like ours now for £150!!!, I confirmed this only last week with them.

Is at just for the chip TC?? I was really looking at an MTE map but if thats the price for a new chip I could fit it to my spare ECU.

Yosser
Sunday 31st August 2008, 22:27

I wonder if that includes the likes of my V70 too???

nobananas
Sunday 31st August 2008, 22:35
Hiya,

roughly speaking the RICA304 changes the boost levels and fueling so the car will boost earlier and harder, and add the extra fuel needed to run those higher boost levels.

Your engine ECU looks like this:

http://volvospeed.com/obd2/overview1.jpg

You either take your stock one out and pop in the RICA replacement, or you send off your ECU and the company modifies it and sends it back.

If you like, when we meet up for the rear suspension we can go out in my car with the stock ECU then with the RICA. It makes quite a difference!

Cheers, Pete

I believe thay do RICA at Kings of Witcham Dooby which is in your neck of the woods.

mitsy
Sunday 31st August 2008, 22:54

Is Hamish allowed to sell Rica????

Tomcat
Monday 1st September 2008, 00:01
I got told that he was selling them, I wasn't told "keep this to yourself" or anything like that, so I presume it's all above board. As far as I know it's only for the older cars i.e. 850's though.

stainesy
Monday 1st September 2008, 18:19
so is rica the make of the chip like greddy makes turbo,s?
oh so its the hole ecu that is changerd when i put a rica in it not just a chip inside it?

gtiteen
Monday 1st September 2008, 18:38
nothing is physically changed. All they will do is plug in the computer and 'remap' which just involves changing boost settings and fuelling.

You can up boost with an MBC but the ecu wont add extra fuel, so the remap is a safer way of doing it really.

RICA is the people who developed that specific map i believe. I had RICA on mine and can't fault it but haven't tried MTE. Had an upsoloute in my 1st T5 and i would pick RICA over that any day.

HTH and is all correct!

Dave

mitsy
Monday 1st September 2008, 18:57
I got told that he was selling them, I wasn't told "keep this to yourself" or anything like that, so I presume it's all above board. As far as I know it's only for the older cars i.e. 850's though.

So how is it possible for Hamish to sell the Rica map when he lost the contract due to him altering there map's without Rica's consent?

I take it that Hamish is going to take back all he said about the Rica? claiming that (in his own words) Rica is one of the worst maps he has had the pleasure in fitting and they are tottaly ****e

Wombatbomb
Monday 1st September 2008, 18:59
I guess you're referring to the 2nd & 4th posts down.... http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=502269

mitsy
Monday 1st September 2008, 19:15
I guess you're referring to the 2nd & 4th posts down.... http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=502269

Yip thats the one, but lets see how long before this gets closed/removed:tombstone

stainesy
Monday 1st September 2008, 19:29
ok so where can i get mine rica,d? and whats it gona cost me?

Justin
Monday 1st September 2008, 19:31
Yip thats the one, but lets see how long before this gets closed/removed:tombstone

Mitsy and others, you still have no idea do you.

The thread stays, the link stays and with the link in question being about PPC specifically i wouldn't say it applies to this thread really. Thanks anyway Ben.

mitsy
Monday 1st September 2008, 20:04
Yes you right in saying that link is refuring to the PPC but it also highlights hamish's thoughts regarding Rica in general
Regards Sam not Ben

gtiteen
Monday 1st September 2008, 20:11
not this all over again BORRRRRRRRING

basically all stainsey wants to know is how RICA works, how much it is and where he can get it done thats that... not the history behind blah de blah.

If anyone has any personal experiences of RICA good and bad go for it but this is just pedalling the same old cr*p around and around again.. The links there, people can read done.

Tomcat
Monday 1st September 2008, 20:11
So how is it possible for Hamish to sell the Rica map when he lost the contract due to him altering there map's without Rica's consent?

I take it that Hamish is going to take back all he said about the Rica? claiming that (in his own words) Rica is one of the worst maps he has had the pleasure in fitting and they are tottaly ****e

Did you bother to read that article?, Hamish said that Rica didn't pull their contract, they just decided to stop selling it. Also this was for the PPC units for later cars....

This thread will not be deleted....unless someone goes over the top...

stainesy
Monday 1st September 2008, 20:25

basically all stainsey wants to know is how RICA works, how much it is and where he can get it done thats that... not the history behind blah de blah.

If anyone has any personal experiences of RICA good and bad go for it but this is just pedalling the same old cr*p around and around again.. The links there, people can read done.

cheers mate.
like he said. i asked where and how much can i get a rica done.

not the history of some thread i no nothing about LOL :hilarious

Alan M
Monday 1st September 2008, 20:33
Don at Kalmar Union is doing the MTE remaps for £325 I think. These are a little better for the ECU hardware as its not opened up but if the 304 Rica is going for £150 thats a good price.

dooby
Monday 1st September 2008, 20:35
Hi Stainsey,

the RICA I think we are both talking about is called an off-the-shelf map. This means it's not customised to your particular car's mods.

Some people on the forums may have had issues with custom RICA maps. Roughly speaking this is where the boost and fuel levels are changed to suit a particular car's mods (like bigger turbo, bigger fuel injectors) as it's run on a dyno.

I don't know of anyone who's had an issue with an off-the-shelf map - I'm certainly happy with mine. At the time I was looking they were selling new for £300 and you had to give up your current ECU. I got mine 2nd hand for £200 and got to keep my original ECU.

If Hamish is offering the RICA304 off the shelf map for £150 I'd say go for it, I think that's a good price. I believe (but ring Hamish to be sure) the RICA304 remap involves opening the ECU and possibly soldering a new chip in.

I believe some tuners (MTE comes to mind) are able to program in new maps without opening your ECU. The only possible disadvantage you might have with going for a RICA304 is if you later wanted custom mapping by MTE you might need to source another, unmodified T5 ECU - if you wanted to confirm that speak to Don Norchi of Kalmar Union who is MTE's distributor in the UK.

I'd guess Hamish will either want you to send your current ECU to him to be 'chipped' then he'll return it, or he'll send you a RICA one with a refund returned to you once you post your original one back to him (core exchange charge). Again I'm not speaking for Hamish here, ring him and ask to be sure :-)

I think RICA is the name of a tuning company who sell a remap for our cars, as is MTE, SuperChips, Bluefin, etc. etc.

Hmm. I hope that helps rather than muddys the waters :-)

Cheers, Pete

stainesy
Monday 1st September 2008, 20:39
at last thanks dooby

irf
Monday 1st September 2008, 20:39
nothing is physically changed. All they will do is plug in the computer and 'remap' which just involves changing boost settings and fuelling.

You can up boost with an MBC but the ecu wont add extra fuel, so the remap is a safer way of doing it really.

RICA is the people who developed that specific map i believe. I had RICA on mine and can't fault it but haven't tried MTE. Had an upsoloute in my 1st T5 and i would pick RICA over that any day.

HTH and is all correct!

Dave

afaik with a RICA the chip is physically changed so a bit of soldering required. i'm not saying that as a bad or good thing. i do know that that soldering isn't done with an MTE.

the car WILL adjust fuelling with an mbc but only up to a certain point is it safe. i never had a wideband fitted when i had an mbc/ebc so couldn't say with any real knowledge what that point is.

the american guys seem to run it at 14psi with no problems so i did the same at the time. 15 psi can sometimes hit fuel cut in the colder weather.

boost isn't the be all end all, it has a lot to do with timing as well.

there isn't anything wrong with off the shelf RICA maps as such but i personally wouldn't go anywhere near HLM after so much crap has been shown about them. sorry if that offends.

gtiteen
Monday 1st September 2008, 20:52
afaik with a RICA the chip is physically changed so a bit of soldering required. i'm not saying that as a bad or good thing. i do know that that soldering isn't done with an MTE.

the car WILL adjust fuelling with an mbc but only up to a certain point is it safe. i never had a wideband fitted when i had an mbc/ebc so couldn't say with any real knowledge what that point is.

the american guys seem to run it at 14psi with no problems so i did the same at the time. 15 psi can sometimes hit fuel cut in the colder weather.

boost isn't the be all end all, it has a lot to do with timing as well.

there isn't anything wrong with off the shelf RICA maps as such but i personally wouldn't go anywhere near HLM after so much crap has been shown about them. sorry if that offends.

Oh i never new that RICA was a chip, thought it was a remap. ooops!!! On my impreza I run a EBC on the standard map which is not so good, want to get a chip so fuelling is up and everythign adjusted safely.

You can get RICA elsewhere though can you not? I would get an off the shelf map from HLM but thats it tbh, anything else RT Mechanics would get my car :D

Dave

Tomcat
Monday 1st September 2008, 20:53
How do MTE upload the software on something like a 95 T5 with no OBDII socket?, I'm not critisizing, just curious.

Justin
Monday 1st September 2008, 21:05
Rica is a remap like the others, the only one that isnt is superchips. What irf is saying and rightly so is that the eeprom which is remapped has to be removed from the ecu board, programmed and re soldered with Rica :) But thats only on pre 1998 cars.

dooby
Monday 1st September 2008, 21:06
How do MTE upload the software on something like a 95 T5 with no OBDII socket?, I'm not critisizing, just curious.

I believe they take the ECU out and plug it into a fancy socket which looks like the connector in your ECU housing. That opens up more connection lines than through the OBD-II port. That is plugged into a PC at the other end.

Cheers, Pete

Torch S70R
Monday 1st September 2008, 21:09
also interested if hamish can do them for the 70x series?
can you buy these chips pre-programmed and fit them yourself? (i work with surface mount components so could easilly fit a through hole chip)

Justin
Monday 1st September 2008, 21:10
I believe they take the ECU out and plug it into a fancy socket which looks like the connector in your ECU housing. That opens up more connection lines than through the ODB-II post. That is plugged into a PC at the other end.

Cheers, Pete

I think mate thats exactly it :)

gtiteen
Monday 1st September 2008, 21:11
Rica is a remap like the others, the only one that isnt is superchips. What irf is saying and rightly so is that the eeprom which is remapped has to be removed from the ecu board, programmed and re soldered with Rica :) But thats only on pre 1998 cars.

ahhh got you! So its not a piggy back chip but they need to remove and refit the part that must be remapped! A thanks coming your way mate lol

with the MTE could they not take the ECU out and use the connector that the car uses to attach a computer? Im just hypothesizing here coz i know **** all would prob be the technical term lol

dave

Justin
Monday 1st September 2008, 21:15
also interested if hamish can do them for the 70x series?
can you buy these chips pre-programmed and fit them yourself? (i work with surface mount components so could easilly fit a through hole chip)

They are surface mounted Torch, quite fine to solder say 6/10 difficulty (10 hardest)

stainesy
Monday 1st September 2008, 21:32
so could i just buy an ecu with a rica 304 already fitted in it. say if somebody was selling a second hand one?

gtiteen
Monday 1st September 2008, 21:37
yeah but if your car is auto with air con for example the ecu would need to be from and auto with air con
same applies to manual/air con.... auto/no air con.... manual/no air con

dave

Torch S70R
Monday 1st September 2008, 21:37
They are surface mounted Torch, quite fine to solder say 6/10 difficulty (10 hardest)
npbs m8 we have an ersascope 500 unit for reworking sm chips and bga's ;)
im IPC-A610D qualified as well :D

stainsey: afaik as long as you get a similar setup then yes, ie from an 850 2.3 manual aircon can only be used with manual aircon setups and so on (i think)

wot he said :D

Justin
Monday 1st September 2008, 21:48
npbs m8 we have an ersascope 500 unit for reworking sm chips and bga's ;)
im IPC-A610D qualified as well :D

stainsey: afaik as long as you get a similar setup then yes, ie from an 850 2.3 manual aircon can only be used with manual aircon setups and so on (i think)

wot he said :D

Nice.....I guess I'll have to settle for my hakko iron :(

Torch S70R
Monday 1st September 2008, 21:53
Nice.....I guess I'll have to settle for my hakko iron :(

as long as that comes with a 1.2mm tip and some flux you'll be sorted ;) :D oh and some 60/40 for that nice shiny joint LOL

mitsy
Monday 1st September 2008, 21:55
Did you bother to read that article?, Hamish said that Rica didn't pull their contract, they just decided to stop selling it. Also this was for the PPC units for later cars....

This thread will not be deleted....unless someone goes over the top...

O ok Hamish said bla bla bla

Edited by Justin (slanderous)

mitsy
Monday 1st September 2008, 21:59

Thats the point isnt it little man

Yes the infomation is here but if someone wasnt aware then surely its up to us(the older mambers) to point people in the right direction

mitsy
Monday 1st September 2008, 22:03
so could i just buy an ecu with a rica 304 already fitted in it. say if somebody was selling a second hand one?

Maby you should try searching further a field as there is many more maps out there other then just Rica

Is there any reason you want the 304 over the 280????

Do you know the pro's and con's with running the 304??? like what type of fuel you should be using????

Lets see if the local funnys can give you the answers to the above questions

Tomcat
Monday 1st September 2008, 22:12
Nobody is recomending one remap above another, I simply said that they where now offering them for £150, or was that wrong?. Can we please not let this thread degenerate into another slanging match, especialy if it's being dragged that way by one member....ok?.

gtiteen
Monday 1st September 2008, 22:12

Yes the infomation is here but if someone wasnt aware then surely its up to us(the older mambers) to point people in the right direction

Ill ignore the condescending tone aimed at my username as we are all supposedly adults in here.

Yes it is the point, you mentioned it fine, and someone posted a link. I was worried about this turning into another one of THOSE threads.

It maybe would have been appropriate for you to say yes that was the thread and then let people read it and make their own conclusions? Who am I to say anyway.

As it is, this is now turning into one of those threads so I'm going to shut up and let Stainsey take what he needs from it!

:beer:

mitsy
Monday 1st September 2008, 22:42
Nobody is recomending one remap above another, I simply said that they where now offering them for £150, or was that wrong?. Can we please not let this thread degenerate into another slanging match, especialy if it's being dragged that way by one member....ok?.

And I simply asked was Hamish allowed to sell Rica as he is no longer a registered seller

Niles
Monday 1st September 2008, 22:43
right, my car was rica'd in Sussex by Adam who worked for VT in Birmingham, the chip is replaced by the Rica chip not a piggy back or a 'flash', It adjusts the boost level, air/fuel mixture, timing & removes the top speed limiter. The 304 is set to enhance a standard T5's settings. My car was nearly standard when done. Since the remap my car has been modified waaaaaay past standard, Car still flies!!! 2 or 3 members who use this site know how my car go's. 1 of them owns a v70r & my car would absolutely cr#p all over it. The parameters of the rica chip keep the engine in a safe reliability zone. If your car is a little tired then stick to the 280 chip. If its tight & good nick go for the 304.I would recommend a Rica to anyone, having said that I've never driven a t5 with any other chip (other than an 850 with an MTE 270 custom chip, the owner was proud of its speed until he drove mine lol)

mitsy
Monday 1st September 2008, 22:51
right, my car was rica'd in Sussex by Adam who worked for VT in Birmingham, the chip is replaced by the Rica chip not a piggy back or a 'flash', It adjusts the boost level, air/fuel mixture, timing & removes the top speed limiter. The 304 is set to enhance a standard T5's settings. My car was nearly standard when done. Since the remap my car has been modified waaaaaay past standard, Car still flies!!! 2 or 3 members who use this site know how my car go's. 1 of them owns a v70r & my car would absolutely cr#p all over it. The parameters of the rica chip keep the engine in a safe reliability zone. If your car is a little tired then stick to the 280 chip. If its tight & good nick go for the 304.I would recommend a Rica to anyone, having said that I've never driven a t5 with any other chip (other than an 850 with an MTE 270 custom chip, the owner was proud of its speed until he drove mine lol)

Answered like soemone who actualy knows what he is talking about

I thanks you Niles

nobananas
Monday 1st September 2008, 22:53

Yes you could. As long as it matches auto for auto, manual for manual etc. The AC bit is less important AFAIK as all it does it cut the AC at full throttle. RICA ecu's do come up from time to time, I got a 304 for 50 quid of a member on here (still eternally grateful !) and that was back when they were still 350 odd quid ! Oh it should be noted that the 280 remap is tuned towards regular unleaded but to get the most out of the 304 the higher octane super unleaded should be used.

Niles
Monday 1st September 2008, 22:54
you're welcome. The lesser spotted, no poo, factual, non bias, non political VPCUK answer. Rare eh? lol

Niles
Monday 1st September 2008, 22:59
Yes you could. As long as it matches auto for auto, manual for manual etc. The AC bit is less important AFAIK as all it does it cut the AC at full throttle. RICA ecu's do come up from time to time, I got a 304 for 50 quid of a member on here (still eternally grateful !) and that was back when they were still 350 odd quid ! Oh it should be noted that the 280 remap is tuned towards regular unleaded but to get the most out of the 304 the higher octane super unleaded should be used.

I'm told an auto rica 304 will work in a manual & vice-versa. haven't tried it but going on other VPCUK members advice.

nobananas
Monday 1st September 2008, 23:06
I'm told an auto rica 304 will work in a manual & vice-versa. haven't tried it but going on other VPCUK members advice.

Yes I've heard a similar thing but only about an Auto working in a manual but without complete knowledge of it I wouldn't like to recommend it (he's had enough trouble !). Didn't one member have trouble doing this as well ?..can't remember exactly but something logged in my memory about it !

mitsy
Monday 1st September 2008, 23:14

:beer:

johntheace
Monday 1st September 2008, 23:20
well through lack of experience i can not comment BUT i have just bought Richards 304 from him on saturday and am having it fitted as soon as it arrives... i am having a complete mach1 exhaust system fitted tomorrow (for those who have looked at my astra threw the link he built the exhaust for that) new stander volvo plugs and leads new cap rotor arm so i will let you know when it has settled what it is like....

Justin
Monday 1st September 2008, 23:25

Mitsy, there was no need for that, It will not be tolerated. Make your point, say your piece, but don't get personal.

V70R999
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 00:37
Back to the point...I've had the 304 on my S70 T5 and loved it. Also had both my 2.4 V70R's done and again loved them. Almost tempted at that price to get the T5R done although with fuel still being high would settle for the 208.

gtiteen
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 00:43
Back to the point...I've had the 304 on my S70 T5 and loved it. Also had both my 2.4 V70R's done and again loved them. Almost tempted at that price to get the T5R done although with fuel still being high would settle for the 208.

yeah i loved my 304 so can recommend it to. If i get another T5 i will without a doubt get it done, especially at £150 :D. Huge power increase for the money.

You know if you got the 280 after a few weeks you'd be wanting the 304!!!

readview
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 09:10
Well for £150 i'm certainly willing to get this chap to sort out a 304 for me,how do i reach him?

S60-MBS
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 13:08
Well for £150 i'm certainly willing to get this chap to sort out a 304 for me,how do i reach him?

http://www.hlmtuning.co.uk/
Address:
HLM Tuning (Bromsgrove)
Units 1 & 2, Factory Lane
BROMSGROVE,
WORCESTERSHIRE
B61 7AL

AndysR
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 20:31
I had RT's fit a Rica 304 on mine and the performance difference was unbelieveable I would describe it using the term chalk and cheese between how it was standard and how it is now!! I also have to say for those worried about fuel consumption I didn't really notice any difference in consumption in fact it's better now than it was pre Rica, but then I did have a faulty O2 sensor and I am not the worlds fastest driver so that may be different for those who are cursed with a heavier right foot! I know that had I have gone for the 280 I would have only been left wanting the 304 in the long run and currently achieving approx. 28 mpg combined according the onboard gadget I don't think it would have made much of a difference in the long run other than a better performing car which surely is the main reason we have our car's remapped/chipped?

I haven't had any experiences of any of the other remaps but I can say of the Rica if your considering it now and you did go ahead and get one you will be left wondering why you didn't fit it sooner because I know I did and to be honest I would expect most of the stage one off the shelf remaps to do pretty much the same thing to any given car's performance. However knowing the reliablity of a Rica and liking the driving characteristics of mine I would always consider/recommend the Rica as a first choice for a replacement turbo'd 5 cylinder Volvo should the need arise. My brother was that impressed with the car he went out and bought an S70R and had it remapped with the same Rica 304 remap as mine! lol

To add one further comment after having spoken to both Hamish and Russ on the phone back to back not knowing anything about Volvo's or previously read anything to bias my opinion Russ earned my trust/business just because he seemed to know more about the car's and came across knowing what he was talking about.
But I have never dealt face to face with Hamish or know of anyone who has so wouldn't want to comment on his abilities as a Volvo tuner.

96T5Andy
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 07:34
May just be worth stating - Sorry if it seems obvious -
I wanted to get this done, for £150 it does seem like a bargain, BUT checked my insurance on confused and it almost doubled it. Im 23 with 2 years NCB and it took it to £1100 from £650 on the one insurer that would quote for this.

gtiteen
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 07:42
I wanted to get this done, for £150 it does seem like a bargain, BUT checked my insurance on confused and it almost doubled it. Im 23 with 2 years NCB and it took it to £1100 from £650 on the one insurer that would quote for this.

I'm 90% sure that you would be able to get a cheaper quote than that through another company. Confused is not so great for modified cars sometimes and especially at our youthful stage!

Adrian Flux don't always give me competetive quotes on standard cars, but I was looking at getting an Audi URS6 avant that had had a complete RS2 conversion and was running circa 380bhp. Adrian Flux gave me a shockingly good quote! Shame the pr**k sold it 2 days before I was going to go up.

Some people will feel ok with neglecting telling their insurance, but I for one would strongly advise against it as a few hundred quid here could save ALOT of money and agro etc should things go titties up.

AndysR
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 23:44

Yep I would agree with that as its now a good third more for mine after telling them I was having a Rica installed on it :(

dooby
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 23:59
Hiya,

I was quite lucky, I'm late 20s and Greenlight only wanted their standard £25 admin fee to declare the RICA304. I do tend to bunch up mods I want to do and declare them all at once so I don't have to pay the admin fee too often but not much I've declared so far has increased my premium.

HTH, Pete

Tomcat
Thursday 4th September 2008, 00:02
You usually find that the places that specialise in modified cars don't do too well at prices for standard cars, and the ones that do standard can't give sensible prices for modified ones. You have to go to the right insurers to get the right sort of price.

nobananas
Thursday 4th September 2008, 00:28
Mrs insured ours with Chris Knott. Couldn't believe the price !. She was with 'Diamond' before with no mods declared but with Chris Knott with all mods declared, fully comprehensive and with me as a named driver.....it was cheaper !. The discount for being a VPCUK member also came in handy !