PDA

View Full Version : OBX System on.

Alan M
Saturday 30th August 2008, 21:31
I finally got the system I ordered from the states on today and what a difference on the car. Its a little loud for my taste but I haven't fitted my CAT yet so its running on the decat till I go back to work next week. The feel of the car is different now but because I changed the turbo at the same time I can't really see if its just the exhaust that made the difference. I never thought adding a 16t turbo would move the point where my boost winds in to a completely different place. On the 15g I would start to get around 4psi from 1700rpm but now I get 4psi much later at around 2300 rpm. I only took a couple of pics so I'll post them when I sort them out. I never had all the problems that were reported by people fitting them in the states apart from the rear exhaust hanger/s. I reused the original hangers exept for one which is on the back to the right as you look at the tailpipe. I got some longer ones for when I did the job but they were slightly too long and I only need to alter the one. What a difference though, more power and a definate faster throttle response. The problems I had were based around the water pipe connections to the turbo, they were in different places to the old one-arrggghhh!!! A little persuasion gos a long way though. I do have to change a rubber pipe to a rigid one tomorrow though just to finish off as it was a little stressed after fitting and when I got home it let go ( puddle on the floor after a while). The 16t I fitted doesn't tail off anywhere near as fast the 15g used to either. As I do a lot of driving through rush hour Brum, I hope that I should see a little better MPG because of the altered spool point, then again I maybe dreaming on that one, lol.
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff331/MulveyA/phone30-8-2008023.jpg This picture is a rear shot and you can see what I meant about the right hand hanger being a tad too long. I need to replace the two to get it to sit properly but its not to bad as is.
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff331/MulveyA/phone30-8-2008022.jpg This one is of the middle section and the cross over peice on mine doesn't clash with underside of the car.
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff331/MulveyA/phone30-8-2008019.jpg This is one of my downpipe and turbo assembled (turbo split) as I thought I'd be clever and see if I could feed the downpipe in from the engne IT DON'T GO THAT WAY SO DON'T TRY. I had to split it and start off properly. Another niggly one I did come accross was the angled flange fitment to the turbo. It was really hard to fit together so I increased the hole size by 0.5mm on each hole and no problems were had after that. I did have a friend in his own garage help me out a lot so Thanks IAN I couldn't have done it without all the help. Well, thats it so far. Right, wheres that suspension................

Tomcat
Saturday 30th August 2008, 21:36
I'm really tempted to buy one as they're cheapish, how much duty did you end up paying in the end?.

Alan M
Saturday 30th August 2008, 21:40
£72 in the end but the dollar is doing better against the pound than when I bought so its only going to go up in price.

Tomcat
Saturday 30th August 2008, 21:40
Figures.......what did it cost you in the end then?.

Alan M
Saturday 30th August 2008, 21:48
£372 and some pence.

Tomcat
Saturday 30th August 2008, 21:53
OUCH!!, I think for that amount I may as well go and get one custom made, I was hoping it would be cheaper than that......

Alan M
Saturday 30th August 2008, 22:17
I still think it was reaonable though. You would still need to fork out around £450 plus for a custom turbo back one over here and I can testify for the weld quality on the OBX one, as I stick a few bits of metal together myself, the welding is top notch to say the least.

mitsy
Saturday 30th August 2008, 23:54
how come it cost £370 when the seller sells them for $299?

Tomcat
Sunday 31st August 2008, 00:32
Postage and duty I would have thought.

nathT5
Sunday 31st August 2008, 00:52
looks awesome but now youve got to polish it aswell as the paintwork ;)
ive just had a mate of mine custom make one for my classic alfa 75, £230 fitted, worth every penny :smile:

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 31st August 2008, 00:55
If there is around 2 dollars to the pound at the moment, that would be £150 for the exhaust, leaving £220 for postage and duty!!!!!!!!.

mitsy
Sunday 31st August 2008, 01:34
If there is around 2 dollars to the pound at the moment, that would be £150 for the exhaust, leaving £220 for postage and duty!!!!!!!!.

:jaw:

Alan M
Sunday 31st August 2008, 09:55
Seller retails at $349.99+ $210 postage + import vat and duty plus the charge for handling by parcel force. You wont get $2 to the £1 through paypal. I was about 6 months ago but not at the moment. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-SS-Exhaust-System-98-Up-Volvo-S70-V70-C70-T5R-T5-R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQihZ005QQitemZ1 50287785665QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

nobananas
Sunday 31st August 2008, 13:13
Looks good Alan, people do realise this chimney comes with a 3 inch downpipe and de-cat pipe ?. That price would just get you a downpipe over here !

AndysR
Sunday 31st August 2008, 18:44
Looks very smart

Any sound clips of the exhaust note now the exhaust is fitted? :)

Alan M
Sunday 31st August 2008, 21:26
Looks very smart

Any sound clips of the exhaust note now the exhaust is fitted? :)

I'll get one up sometime tomorrow.

You're right NB, over here you pay £300 or there abouts for a cat back system. I got that and a 3 inch downpipe and decat (a cat will be going in though if only for the MOT). I'm not too fussed anyway as I'm happy with it. I took it out for a drive today after altering my heat shield and water pipe to the turbo and it flies. It feels like the boost has been wound up to an incredible amount as when I get to 3000rpm the tyres just can't cope. I had wheelspin through every gear but 5th in the slight drizzle and the car felt ever so twitchy at the front. I think I'm going to have to change the tyres for definate now as the ones I have on it cannot cope. Anyway I'm happy and can only recommend the system based on what I have experienced so far.

Tomcat
Sunday 31st August 2008, 21:40
Cooool.....your tempting me now.

How load is it?, I don't want something too intrusive or one that'll drone on the motorway.

Alan M
Sunday 31st August 2008, 22:12
Hi TC, I'll post an incabin drive soundclip and idle soundclip tomorrow as I think I may get moaned at if I go to do it now. Its not to loud but there is a slight drone, but thats probably because I haven't fitted my cat yet. Then again I like quiet quiet cars and mine definately isn't that quiet now. I can really hear the turbo whistle in amongst the deep warble now so thats a nice sound to hear.

Alan M
Sunday 31st August 2008, 22:22
Another thing I did notice today was the amount of heat that rises up from the exhaust manifold. I am going to fit a jacket heat shield between the brake servo and original heat shield to try and stop my brake lines and master cylinder getting so hot. I also wrapped my over the engine boost pipe today to try and help reduce/keep down the ACTs before they enter the intercooler. I will probably do the outlet from the intercooler too at some point when I get some more heat wrap. I did the downpipe to help with the heat problem on the brake servo but it don't appear to have done that much after fast road driving.

AndysR
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 22:01
Any joy with the sound clips :)

Alan M
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 22:24
Yes done a few but they didn't sound loud enough on a run in the car ( a good thing). I have one at idle out side the car so I'll try and get it up now.

Alan M
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 22:39
http://s537.photobucket.com/albums/ff331/MulveyA/?action=view&current=phone2-9-2008017.flv Here is the idle video done on my phone. It is a little louder than video shows well maybe not now having listened to it on my computer. As I said before though you can really hear the turbo wind up when I pt my foot down.

AndysR
Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 23:27
Sounds smart is that still running without the cat? Or is it now back on?

Alan M
Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 07:57
No at the moment I haven't any real time to weld it in, plus the Tig tips I am waiting for are holding me up aswell.

Ed.
Thursday 4th September 2008, 23:15
Looks really good Alan, you have got a few mods going in at the moment. 16t, exhaust, downpipe, cat/decat, strut brace. I'm quite interested in how all of those bits affect the performance as i am thinking of getting a bit more oomph myself. Also are you going for a off the shelf rica or a custom mapping?

Ed

saf1972
Friday 5th September 2008, 00:00
Am as everyone else tempted in purchasing the above exhaust. I am a little concerned with regards to the heat issue though. Is this something majpr to worry about or something that can be dealt with over time?

Alan M
Friday 5th September 2008, 16:32
What do you mean by the heat issue? I did notice after a couple of days use that the heat shield between the power steering and the downpipe was rubbing my exhaust wrap slightly. So I removed the heat shield (two bolts) and trimmed it then reshaped it slightly to give more clearance. I removed the rear bolt for good measure as the front one is more than adequate to hold it in place as it is a static shield. Ed, I had to modify my turbo heat shield for the new turbo as the water pipes were in different places as before the change, it was easy enough though with a big hammer and an anvil to shape it on. I am going for a Rica 304 map on Tuesday and hopefully a power run before and afterwards to see what gains have been made.

Alan M
Thursday 11th September 2008, 19:07
I got the Rica on the car (for off road/track use) and this is the power run video I recorded on my phone. http://s537.photobucket.com/albums/ff331/MulveyA/?action=view&current=phone10-09-2008018-1.flv My exhaust wasn't as loud as I thought it would be so you can have a listen to what it sounded like under load on the rollers.

siamblue
Thursday 11th September 2008, 19:16
Looks good Alan, people do realise this chimney comes with a 3 inch downpipe and de-cat pipe ?. That price would just get you a downpipe over here !

Just got my OBX downpipe today, Well chuffed with it, excellent product,

In the end i paid £115 for the DP and £25 odd for postage, with no duty :)

Gary.

pangster
Thursday 11th September 2008, 19:28
Just got my OBX downpipe today, Well chuffed with it, excellent product,

In the end i paid £115 for the DP and £25 odd for postage, with no duty :)

Gary.

Did they sell you the downpipe on it's own, without the rest of the system??

siamblue
Thursday 11th September 2008, 19:47
Did they sell you the downpipe on it's own, without the rest of the system??

No they wouldn't do that, so i sorted a deal out with a guy in the States that only wanted the exhaust, Then he posted on the DP to me,

Gary.

Alan M
Thursday 11th September 2008, 20:08
Very nice Gary, just like mine.

Wombatbomb
Thursday 11th September 2008, 20:15
No they wouldn't do that, so i sorted a deal out with a guy in the States that only wanted the exhaust, Then he posted on the DP to me,

Gary.

They do if you ask nicely as I have an email from them offering to do just that ;)

i can sell only down pipe,please let me know which one do you need
- racingpartsdepot

I'm just deciding whether to go ahead, or buy a full 3" DP with racecat fitted in a single unit.

mitsy
Thursday 11th September 2008, 20:23
Gary why do you feel the need to lie about where you got the downpipe from??

pangster
Thursday 11th September 2008, 20:38

:confused:

Yosser
Thursday 11th September 2008, 21:36
Is that the standard cat you've fitted to the downpipe?

What kind of a job was that?

siamblue
Thursday 11th September 2008, 21:45

What do you mean Mitsy? That is a strong statement to make,

Gary..

mitsy
Thursday 11th September 2008, 21:46
What do you mean Mitsy? That is a strong statement to make,

Gary..

So you never won it on Ebay??

siamblue
Thursday 11th September 2008, 21:47
Is that the standard cat you've fitted to the downpipe?

What kind of a job was that?

Hi Yosser The DP is only placed against the 3" BSR cat until i got all the fittings then it will go on the car,

Gary..

siamblue
Thursday 11th September 2008, 21:50
So you never won it one Ebay??

No Mitsy I never won it on Ebay, It came from AMERICA today,

http://www.usps.com/

Please trace this number.

EH29 5941 024U S

Gary.

I think you will find Alan M sold the one on Ebay...

mitsy
Thursday 11th September 2008, 21:54

EH29 5941 024U S

Gary.

Strange that isnt it

So did you get the rest of the DP or just the front piece

siamblue
Thursday 11th September 2008, 23:53
Mitsy i am not sure what you are getting at, As to be honest it is none of your business seeing you are questioning my source of this pipe, Plus accusing me of lying, which i took offence too,
Why would i want the rest of the downpipe? Was it for sale on Ebay with the DP?

I will give you a clue why i only want the front part of the DP,

Angled Flange 16T...

Gary

Alan M
Friday 12th September 2008, 07:52

EH29 5941 024U S

Gary.

Tis true Gary I did. The one I sold is a different flanged downpipe anyway. A forum member from another site bought the one I sold.

Alan M
Friday 12th September 2008, 07:52
Did anyone listen to the exhaust on the RR I posted?

Dan850T5
Friday 12th September 2008, 12:04
Did anyone listen to the exhaust on the RR I posted?

where's that? i only saw the idling one

Alan M
Friday 12th September 2008, 13:49
I ................. http://s537.photobucket.com/albums/ff331/MulveyA/?action=view&current=phone10-09-2008018-1.flv My exhaust wasn't as loud as I thought it would be so you can have a listen to what it sounded like under load on the rollers.
This one.

jonno12
Friday 12th September 2008, 14:18
like the sound of that one

pangster
Friday 12th September 2008, 16:57
This one.

sounds good! - sounds a lot like mine! lol! :) - you gotta love the warble of the 5 pot! :)

Alan M
Friday 12th September 2008, 18:00
....... you gotta love the warble of the 5 pot! :)

True. I love the sound they make. Especially at idle at the lights when people look over to see whats making that great sound.

AndysR
Friday 12th September 2008, 20:49
Sounds spot on! Nice one!! :)

Dan850T5
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 19:37
Oh no watching that i need that exhaust!! damn it alan! funnily enough thats exactly the same colour smoke that mine chucks out when i properly gun it, is it unburnt fuel?

Alan M
Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 19:54
That was unburnt fuel. On the first run I did it was overfueling terribly due to being on the standard map with larger than standard injectors. But once it was run up with the new map on it didn't overfuel as much but was still a little rich as thats the way the map is set up I think. I'm not worried to much as my car seems to be running well apart from drinking fuel if you use your right foot a lot.