PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a 940 2.3 lpt

gtiteen
Thursday 28th August 2008, 21:57
As some how are sharp may have followed my 440 got scrapped yesterday. ALso mums looking at getting a new car in the next month so shes said I can have her '97 940 2.3 lpt.

Was wondering what i can do with it to get a bit more poke without shelling out much and how much poke i can get!?

Dave

nobananas
Thursday 28th August 2008, 22:43
Right, PPC magazine did a cracking article about them a few months ago so I shall shamelessly quote stuff from it (It may not all be correct so forgive me !).

The LPT versions have exactly the same engine internals and turbo's as the FPT's only the wastegate setting and base ECU map is different. Fitting the wastegate from a FPT and replacing the ecu (or rechipping it) from from the FPT will bring it up to the same power levels as the FPT.

Making 200 bhp is easy, stock boost level is around 7psi so adding an MBC you can safely take it up to 10-12 psi.

The later LH Jetronic management system is a constantly learning ecu and will adapt to boost changes. If you have the earlier system a simple ecu swap with a later car should work to bring it up to LH.

They come with either Garrett or TD04 mitsubishi turbo's which share the same footprint so you could fit 15g from a T5 (or 16T etc !).

Then there's the usual stuff, bigger exhaust, chipped ecu, AFM, bigger injectors but the limit is around 350 BHP on the standard rods then it gets expensive (although not as pricey as T5 stuff !).

Aprils isuue of PPC by the way, some cracking Volvo estates in it, one 740 making 519 BHP, .....nice !

gtiteen
Thursday 28th August 2008, 23:08
OH cool so with an MBC itll be safe just to set it at 10psi as the ECU will adapt? Its a 1997 model btw.

Dont want to go crazy as its gonna be my runaround whilst running the subaru too still, and we've had it since a demonstrator at volvo so not sure mum would want me going mental on it! But wouldnt mind a bit more poke if I am driving it!

Although... RWD with big power hmmm. Wonder how much the auto gearbox can take without blowing. (its already temperamental when taking reverse!)

Dave

nobananas
Thursday 28th August 2008, 23:15
That's what it says in the mag but it might be an idea to do a bit of research first too ( back issue of the mag for starters !) before you do anything that may stop you're mum getting to the shops !

gtiteen
Friday 29th August 2008, 00:44
ha... no worries dads buying her another car which is handy so i lose a car and suddenly my parents have a spare one... convenient!

will double check tho just so u dont feel responsble if i blow it up!!! :mischievo

Alan M
Friday 29th August 2008, 10:32
Is it an estate or saloon, I so want a low mileage mint 2.3lpt saloon to modify. I've got loads of T5 bits I think would go onto one so I've been on a lookout for a cheap one but they still go for decent money. Cosworth parts are smilar or the same ifts on those engines too so keep a lookout for stuff you could use. I'm jealous:mad:

gtiteen
Friday 29th August 2008, 10:56
Its an auto estate (the one in the background of my sig). Im fairly lucky coz we've had it since new so know its in good condition. Not low mileage though, 148,000... still not that high fora volvo. Had a head rebuild too when the cam belt went.

Only thing I worry about is the gearbox. I reckon I'll prob just end up with an MBC as I don't want to go crazy on it as it is meant to be the sensible car!!

Alan M
Friday 29th August 2008, 11:58
It wont stay sensible! RWD is tooooo much fun. Especially in such a big car when the power is turned up. The boxes can stand up to quite a bit I think butif they are ropey to begin with it could be game over when you start to mess. Still jealous though, lol.

nobananas
Friday 29th August 2008, 19:41
Saw this one last night Alan, was quite tempted myself !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-Volvo-940-Classic-2-3-Turbo-Air-Con-Full-MOT-A1_W0QQitemZ120297477784QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item12 0297477784&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A7|240%3A1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Alan M
Friday 29th August 2008, 20:12
ooooh I want!! Right wheres my paypal account......

I think it may go for more than I want to spend. I am watching this one though.