PDA

View Full Version : Thermostats - 87 deg vs 90 deg?

Al115
Monday 25th April 2005, 08:13
Morning all,

I was changing the thermostat on my 1999 V70 T5 at the weekend, and noticed that the one I was taking out was marked "90 degrees" and the one I was putting in "87 degrees".

I know that some people have switched to an 87 degree thermostat deliberately as a modification - what effect does it have? Should I stick with the original 90 degrees or will the 87 have a positive effect?

Alastair

nikgallagher
Monday 25th April 2005, 09:16
I thought the 87 deg was the standard one, and the 90 deg one is for colder scandinavian climates.

glock19
Monday 25th April 2005, 11:13
Will 3 degrees make much difference ?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 25th April 2005, 11:37
Engine will run slightly cooler. It would be difficult to prove any performance gain.

Kent Canary
Monday 25th April 2005, 11:58
Will 3 degrees make much difference ?

I heard they had some chart success..

nikgallagher
Monday 25th April 2005, 12:35
Engine will run slightly cooler. It would be difficult to prove any performance gain.

Won't it run 3 deg warmer? Thought the temp rating was when the stat opened, allowing trapped engine water to circulate through the radiator?

Gwaredd
Monday 25th April 2005, 13:04
The engine will run at the same (operating)temp, but the stat will open 3 deg earlier meaning that the engine will be running cooler at start up & the heater will take longer to warm up, but at 3 deg you wont ever, ever know the difference. 3 deg is nothing in a car engine.

There will be no peformance gain at all because the thermostat is only a device that determines the teperature on which the trapped engine water is allowed to circulate back into the cold radiator,(as said by Nik) thus the operating temperature will remain exactly the same. The only way to make the engine run cooler is by fitting a bigger rad etc.

For this country, your best off with either stat IMO. Makes no difference, only to heater warm-up temp.

Gwaredd