PDA

View Full Version : Recon engine run in miles???

Krawli
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 08:39
Hi all,

Im just after some thoughts on running in an engine.

I've just had a full £3000 engine rebuild on my 2004 C70 T5 GT and the place I got it done have just said 2500rpm max in every gear for 500 miles then get engine serviced...which I have done.
Im just wondering what advice anyone can give on further running in time or when I could/should start driving it how it SHOULD be driven, i.e at speed!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Kev.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 11:36
I would exercise caution for the first 1500miles (just another 1000miles on top). Drive normally, but dont boot it or run it hard. Then after that you should be able to warm her up and do what you like.

ps if you change your tags in the signature to IMG then your picture will work.

Alan M
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 19:01
I have rebuilt NA engines before and have always run them in for 1500miles. I never put any undue strain on them by letting the engine struggle in the wrong gear. Just take it easy and do a couple of oil changes after the first mineral oil change and you should be okay.

Krawli
Friday 29th August 2008, 10:10
Cheers Dave, Thankyou for your advice.
I will, as you have suggested and not go mad for another 1000+ miles, I will stick to around the 70/80mph on my motorway journeys then for the time being and no "quick getaways" from muppets harrasing me.... for now.

and thanks, got signature sorted now aswell...

Cheers mate,

All the best,

Kev.

I would exercise caution for the first 1500miles (just another 1000miles on top). Drive normally, but dont boot it or run it hard. Then after that you should be able to warm her up and do what you like.

ps if you change your tags in the signature to IMG then your picture will work.

Krawli
Friday 29th August 2008, 10:16
Thanks Alan,
I have just had my first 500 mile service since the rebuild and all seems ok, but the guys who rebuilt it have said it needs serviceing every 6 months now (more for the warranty), would you suggest getting one done at 1000 & 1500 miles and then every 6 monhts just to be on the super safe side????

Cheers mate, Thanks for your help,

Kev.

I have rebuilt NA engines before and have always run them in for 1500miles. I never put any undue strain on them by letting the engine struggle in the wrong gear. Just take it easy and do a couple of oil changes after the first mineral oil change and you should be okay.

Krawli
Friday 29th August 2008, 10:18
Also any thoughts on whats the best oil to use from now on?
Been suggested Helix full synth???

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

Kev.

Alan M
Friday 29th August 2008, 10:55
Also any thoughts on whats the best oil to use from now on?
Been suggested Helix full synth???

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

Kev.

It depends what you did on the rebuild and what is recommended for your car anyway. If you don't mind spending the money I would do the oil changes myself and use a good oil. For normal and fast road use try this http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_MOTORSPORT.htm
Millers make excellent products. If your getting someone else to do it make sure they use either a good product from them or oil you give them. For the first few changes you would probably be best to do them at short intervals but after that just do them as normal or as you would usually. For the first few changes you could use a cheaper oil for the changes as you wouldn't push the engine to hard. Use genuine oil filters though.