PDA

View Full Version : operation: shut the hell up!!

r07s
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 22:32
Hey all,

Im not driving my car at mo as its in need of some suspension repair, but today i drove it to work as its got a MOT tomorrow. However, after driving it i realised how bloody rattly it is [compared to the new cars i use for work].

So tonight i got a reel of draft tape out and set about taping up:

the rear seat top mounts
rear cover holes at the front
and where it hooks on the rear posts

Didnt take it for test but will see tomorrow... btw i have done the tailgate repiar on the door card.

Anybody have any other ideas?? One things for sure - where all plastic surfaces meet others its really 'squeaky' - was wondering about spraying with silicon...

anyhows - hoping for a quiter drive to my mot =)

shaun850
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 23:28
Pink ear muffs may be a better option? ;)

gtiteen
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 23:54
Ha, i thought this thread might be some useful advice for those with partners!!

Can't help much though with the rattles or noises but i think i remember the clips on the boot bit can be a problem??

Dave

readview
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 08:50
One of my customers(a builder) once had the rattly tailgate trim problem and decided to squirt expanding foam in there to shut it up.It worked but it took me nearly three hours to get his tailgate wiper working again!
Best soloution,get the wife to sit in the back while you drive up some cobbled back streets and they can mark with tippex or chalk where all the rattles are coming from so you can investigate them later.Might also be worth checking that the suspension is ok(seized shockers etc) and that you have the correct tyre pressures in.

dave854
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 09:23
I have the same squeeks and rattles with mine, although my tailgate isn't too bad. Apparently you can get from volvo a plastic (nylon) thing that clips round the top seat mounts to shut them up - i may be investing in some of those, can't imagine they are very expensive. Also, with many hours spent in my old 740 stopping many rattles I found that an old bycicle tube work wonders! simply wedge or glue where two plastic faces meet.

Mind you, I am tempted by the pink ear muffs! ;)

r07s
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 10:24
Yup deffo the pink ear muffs! Simple solutions are the best =)

The tailgate is OK - its all the plastic trim: around boot space, windows, rear load cover that does all the creaking.

Im gonna just turn the stereo up until the muffs arrive lol

[BTW: the squeaks were there before my new Konis were installed, so not them]

jonno12
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 11:17
the only other thing to do is take them all off and use the double sided thick glue tape that body shops use

r07s
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 11:51
Yup, i was considerinmg taking it all off - best i get some trim clips firt though eh! you can bet ill break most of 'em in the removal :|

Im also going for a higher profile tyre, 40 to 45: its time i had little comfort in life lol!