PDA

View Full Version : Oil in the header tank (cue doomy music)

Diesel64
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 19:46
Hey,

Just wonderin if anyone has had this before.

Noticed just before setting off on a 900 mile round trip to Orkney that I had oil/mayo in the header tank. 'Not good' I thought. But when I couldn't find any water/mayo on the dipstick or oilcap, I decided to cross my fingers and hope for the best that the head gasket wasn't about to go 'pop'...

Made it up with no problems didn't loose any oil and was still pulling fine - there's a chav with a Seat CupraR that will testify to that ;)

Whilst I was up in Orkney, I took it along to a mechanic mate of mine who reckoned that it is most likely the oil separator (i.e. this part: http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=105_919_920&products_id=5462)

After flushing the radiator and cleaning out the header tank, the T5 made the trip back from Orkney with no problems and at the end the header tank was still clean, but 1 week later, the Mayo is back :(

I'm all prepared to tackle this job and replace the oil separator (It'll mean the injectors and inlet manifold coming off but that's not too scarey) but was hoping for some confirmation before I dive in and order the bits.

If the Inlet mani comes off, will I need new gaskets as well? Any other parts that will need swapping out?

Thanks for taking the time to read this - I'll appreciate any info anyone is willing to offer.

Cheers,
Bob

ajma
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 08:13
You'll need the new inlet manifold gasket as you say. For a good price on all the bits required PM Rufe on this forum who offers excellent service (FRF Volvo in Swansea).

If you search for PCV replacement you'll find a fair amount of relevant stuff.

Diesel64
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 09:09
You'll need the new inlet manifold gasket as you say. For a good price on all the bits required PM Rufe on this forum who offers excellent service (FRF Volvo in Swansea).

If you search for PCV replacement you'll find a fair amount of relevant stuff.

Cheer Ajma, I'll drop him a PM. :)
Bob.