PDA

View Full Version : t5 exhaust

stevenb
Monday 25th August 2008, 21:46
i have a 96 850 t5 estate that has a bailey dump valve and pipercross induction kit fitted other than that its standard.
I had the boost pressure turned up to 12 psi by a volvo master technician and the car was very very fast until the engine management light came on and to cut a long story short he says that i need a bigger exhaust as the standard can't get rid of the gasses fast enough so could anyone recommend a good cat back system.
looked at the one on parts for volvo and it seems to be a descent price and mechanic says it will do the job but any alternatives for about £300 would be appreciated as the boost has been turned back down and car runs great again but that brief period of 12psi boost was awesome and i would like it back

Yosser
Monday 25th August 2008, 22:11
Doesn't sound right to me....

But if you really want a cat back then how about a Ferrita from Don @ Kalmar Union

http://www.kalmar-union.com/

or a Jetex:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-Jetex-Sports-Stainless-Exhausts-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ110280720727QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 10280720727&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

dannt5
Monday 25th August 2008, 22:15
Ive got a remus system on my 850R & its very good,quiet on the inside & doesn't drone at all but sounds the dogs b*****x when on full chat...or so ive been told by a few people. Got this from my volvo dealer,think it was around the £350ish mark & aparently gives 5-6% increase in power...if you believe the hype!

stevenb
Monday 25th August 2008, 22:29
thanks yosser i thought it wasn't right but when boost turned up went like crazy but engine light came on mechanic read codes and said too much back pressure as gases can't escape quick enough. And if boost turned back to 6psi everything fine. Any theories or suggestions would be most appreciated

Yosser
Monday 25th August 2008, 22:36
I think you really need to know what fault code is causing your warning light to illuminate.

I'm not familiar with 850's, but maybe this will help:

http://au.geocities.com/OZBRICK850/computercodesvolvo.html

stevenb
Monday 25th August 2008, 22:43
thanks dannt5 would be grateful if you could let me know where you got your remus from as all i can find is a jetex system and as i live in deepest darkest cumbria where the nearest we get to performance parts outlets is halfrauds it is looking like mail order

nobananas
Monday 25th August 2008, 22:53
If you're going to run at higher boost levels then stock you need to be sure that the fueling is up to it and it's not leaning out at WOT as this will seriously shorten the life of you're engine. How was the boost level turned up ?. Was it done with an MBC valve or was it an ECU remap as I know some of the Volvo 'independents' are doing RICA. Doubt you're MIL will have been the result of excessive back pressure.

Alan M
Monday 25th August 2008, 23:03
Standard boost should be up around the 9psi mark shouldn't it?? Yours now seems a little low.

dannt5
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 00:16
Remus zorst was from volvos own after market book as a kit,i'll see if i can get you the part number & get back to you tomorrow. It fitted like a glove & came with new rubbers,fittings etc.

badger1980
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 00:58
for the 300 mark u could get yourself a custom zorst plenty to choose from

stevenb
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 20:56
thanks for all the replies much appreciated.
In responce to some of the replies the volvo mastertech doing my car says i can run a max 12psi boost with everything else standard,
Mine currently peaks at 8psi then drops to a steady 6psi which is apparently ok.
The boost was adjusted using the actuator bar i think but wasn't present but he had to replace that part as it was seized and he adjusted replacement part.
If anyone else can help with any ideas it would be most appreciated as im a newbie to t5 ownership and enjoying the learning curve of tinkering with even though a very clever volvo man does all the hard work cos im scared i break it

dannt5
Thursday 28th August 2008, 01:02
Hi matey,got the part No for the Volvo dealer remus exhaust..Saloon..9481 309-4...estate..9488 949-0..hope this helps

Alan M
Thursday 28th August 2008, 11:35
Your actuator should only be set to the recommended opening pressure from Volvo. I think on a T5 the opening pressure is 2psi as all the boost control is taken care of by the Boost control solenoid (BCS) up to where the ECU is limited. Someone will be along sometime to give the Vadis book values for specific engines.

Alan M
Thursday 28th August 2008, 11:52
For a B5234T engine (my car is the same as yours) the wastegate opening pressure is to be set to 12.5Kpa (1.82psi) with a pump and gauge. Your 'Volvo Master technician' should know how to do this properly. I would set it properly otherwise you will get spikes as you are doing. It may be worth investing in a decent boost controller if your not getting the car mapped.

stevenb
Sunday 31st August 2008, 19:50
thanks to everyone. Just ordered a mbc off fleabay for £24 inc p+p hopefully this will have the desired effect. If not gonna have to get longer arms and shallower pockets

Alan M
Sunday 31st August 2008, 22:29
By the way I run 13-14 psi all the time. I had that on my standard exhaust and now on the aftermarket one, all through a MBC.

nobananas
Sunday 31st August 2008, 22:31
By the way I run 13-14 psi all the time. I had that on my standard exhaust and now on the aftermarket one, all through a MBC.

But (if memory serves) don't you also run a AF gauge and an uprated fuel pressure regulator to make sure the fueling is safe ?

Rufe
Monday 1st September 2008, 15:37
Hi matey,got the part No for the Volvo dealer remus exhaust..Saloon..9481 309-4...estate..9488 949-0..hope this helps
For what its worth i can give you our discounted prices on these kits, though i warn you these prices are not for the faint hearted...

SPORTS EXHAUST KIT:
P/n: 9481309. For: 854, S70, C70. Not AWD Models
For Turbocharged cars with Manual Transmission Only
Volvo Price: £419.57 inc vat
Our Price: £356.63 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £20.00 TNT Express
Availability: Would be in with us approx 2 - 3 working days after ordering, then sent out for next working day delivery with TNT Express.

SPORTS EXHAUST KIT:
P/n: 9481309. For: 855, V70 P1. Not AWD Models
For Turbocharged cars with Manual Transmission Only
Volvo Price: £594.03 inc vat
Our Price: £504.92 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £20.00 TNT Express
Availability: Would be in with us approx 2 - 3 working days after ordering, then sent out for next working day delivery with TNT Express.

Information on these kits is as follows (taken directly out of volvo accessory catalogue) -

Sports exhaust system:
High-performance exhaust system from the catalytic
converter and rearwards, high quality and excellent finish.
Increases the car's output, produces a sporty note and
enhances the car's appearance with the impressive 102
mm round tailpipe.
Fits the car's standard attachment points.
Delivered as a kit with assembly instructions and fittings.
Product facts:
• Front and rear silencers of stainless steel.
• Power increases approx. 6 bhp.
• Polished tailpipe Ø 102 mm of stainless, chromeplated steel.
• Certified and approved as per EU directive 96/29/EC.
• Lower back-pressure, approx. 30%.

Simon

Alan M
Monday 1st September 2008, 18:20
But (if memory serves) don't you also run a AF gauge and an uprated fuel pressure regulator to make sure the fueling is safe ?

Forgot to mention things like that. My AFR gauge isn't hooked up at the minute and I removed the Adjustable fuel regulator as the diaphragm sprung a leak. I may put another on yet but I'm not sure. I had to go back to my original O2 sensor after dropping the Bosch 5wire one on the sensor end on the floor (it stopped working, kept throwing codes). You can just do as I am doing now though which is back to normal running albeit with white injectors and an angled 16t at 14ish psi. I did that before the aftermarket exhaust though and now I'm doing it after. I did run my 15g at 13psi on the orange injectors and that showed no problems at all.

Tomcat
Monday 1st September 2008, 20:18
Rufe, do you have any more info on the Sports exhaust?, pics even?...

Rufe
Monday 1st September 2008, 21:35
Rufe, do you have any more info on the Sports exhaust?, pics even?...
not really, well this one picture I have attached which only shows the tail pipe.
all the info i have is posted above.

Alan M
Monday 1st September 2008, 22:25
Even the tyres are white in that picture.