PDA

View Full Version : Window Tints

MSc70t5
Monday 25th August 2008, 17:29
Ayup,
Just wondered if anyone had ever had this done? any good firms? Just thinking about it at the min, but I think a black C70 with just a slight tint would look better than my current clear windows. Are you able to still tint your windows past the B' pillar? I dont want jet black! I still want to see bikers both motor and fellow cyclists, plus of course other road users!!.
Cheers
Mark

Slomo
Monday 25th August 2008, 19:41
www.auto-filmsdirect.co.uk do all my cars. Have done for years. A superb service. Fitters national.
0800 0186232

Ask for Vicki or Karl. Mention that you know me and that i passed on their details. Known them for years...

J

lutonmatt
Monday 25th August 2008, 20:13
i was thinking about doing mine as well as i played the other day on photoshop tinted headlights
tinted windows and black wheels

might have to do the black wheels as they looked so good

Wombatbomb
Monday 25th August 2008, 21:46
Are you able to still tint your windows past the B' pillar?

The Volvo windows are factory tinted, as such any additional tinting of the glass forward of the B pillar (except for the clear security film) will almost definitely make your car unroadworthy in the eyes of Plod and VOSA. Also, if you do get stopped for it, and they deem the windows illegal, they will want details of the company that fitted the tints as they now have the power to prosecute the fitter as well as the vehicle owner. They can issue an immediate prohibition notice and take the car off the road on the spot if the windows are beyond a certain %.

Boxzoo
Monday 25th August 2008, 22:27
My 850 from the b pillar back has had a slight tint, you wouldn't really notice unless you put it next to another 850, just nice and subtle I think. I certainly think it improves the look of the car over the standard. Can't recommend a place though I'm afraid because it was done before I bought it.

chrisRSVR
Monday 25th August 2008, 23:38
not directly on topic but, the new police and ambulance service t5's windows are tinted beyond the legal standard, they tested the ones in lancs and found them to be illegal! so if you get pulled in lancs for your tints ask them to check theirs, this info is defo correct as it came from a long serving traffic plod! (my Dad)

pangster
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 00:17
The Volvo windows are factory tinted, as such any additional tinting of the glass forward of the B pillar (except for the clear security film) will almost definitely make your car unroadworthy in the eyes of Plod and VOSA. Also, if you do get stopped for it, and they deem the windows illegal, they will want details of the company that fitted the tints as they now have the power to prosecute the fitter as well as the vehicle owner. They can issue an immediate prohibition notice and take the car off the road on the spot if the windows are beyond a certain %.

what he said /\ lol! :)

Slomo
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 08:13
all my windows(apart from windscreen) are tinted. My windows also had a standard tint to them but I felt it wasnt enough for me. You can still get them tinted and remain legal.

J

pangster
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 08:18
all my windows(apart from windscreen) are tinted. My windows also had a standard tint to them but I felt it wasnt enough for me. You can still get them tinted and remain legal.

J

no you can't! The volvo tint is already on the limit! Any tint added to this will push it over the limit and make it illegal!

Wombatbomb
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 08:47
^ what he said LOL

Wombatbomb
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 08:57
Ok, here's the full version for those who think Pangster and I are telling porkies (I've highlighted a couple of bits)....

Window Tinting - Amendments to Legislation
During the early part of 2004, Section 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations will be amended to include "Window Tint Films", where such materials attached to the glass are capable of reducing the Visible Light Transmission of forward windows to below prescribed levels. These changes will be back-dated to become applicable from 1st January 2004.
This will effectively ban virtually all tinted films fitted to windows forward of the B-Post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads.
The reason for these changes is the recent proliferation of vehicles that are excessively tinted. Some vehicles may be so heavily tinted that they present a real danger when used on public roads. The action being taken by the Government follows a fatality that occurred recently where a heavily tinted car was involved in a collision with a motorcycle and the window tints were held to blame due to the vision of the driver being impaired.
There is however, a recognised difference between "light window tints" (above 30% transmission, see below) which may be considered safe for road use and "excessively dark window tints" which are not.
There has also been a great deal of debate in recent years about the legitimacy of window tints that do not obscure the vision of the driver. A clear case has been argued that road-safe window tints do not actually conflict with existing regulations. The Department for Transport have argued however that Section 32 was always intended to cover materials attached to the glass, despite the fact that no mention of this is made in the Regulation itself.
The only solution remaining would be to amend the Legislation.
Consequently and in order to clarify the situation, the Government have finally decided to up-date the Regulations to specifically include Tinted Films since, in the view of the Police and the Department for Transport, this is the only way in which the problems of excessive tints can be remedied.
Unfortunately however, even tint films that may be considered to be safe for road use will now be viewed as in conflict with the Regulations, enabling the Police and Vehicle Inspectorate to take action against vehicle owners.
This has significant implications for the owners of vehicles that have window tints already fitted and also those that are responsible for installing or selling window tints.

Implications for the vehicle owner
After much discussion, a sympathetic Enforcement Policy has been agreed between the Department for Transport and The Glass and Glazing Federation to ensure that all vehicle owners that have had tints applied in the past may be dealt with fairly. This applies in particular where the infringement is with respect to tints that do not pose a significant threat to Road Safety, despite being in contravention with the amended Regulations.
In any event, after the date of the amendment to Section 32, the owner of a vehicle that has window tints applied forward of the B-Post could be challenged by either a Police Officer or by an Inspector from the Department for Transport's Vehicle Inspectorate, where their vehicle is noticed being driven on Public Roads.
Where such a vehicle is stopped and the window tints applied are such that the Visible Light Transmission level, when measured using an approved device falls to below prescribed levels, the following enforcement guidelines have been agreed with, and recommended, by the Government.

Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints)
The owner or driver of such a vehicle would be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows under the direction of either a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice. A period of grace will apply for a limited number of days (normally ten) during which time the vehicle may be driven whilst the rectification work is to be completed.
In either case, the vehicle will need to be inspected by either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Officer to confirm that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. Prosecution is unlikely in such circumstances provided the vehicle owner complies fully.

C70Dan
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 09:01
i was thinking about doing mine as well as i played the other day on photoshop tinted headlights
tinted windows and black wheels

might have to do the black wheels as they looked so good

Don't suppose you have a piccy of your car with the black wheels do you? I'm going to have a do at my wheels and saw a porsche 911 with black wheels while we were on holiday, it looked really smart and got me thinking.

cheers

Cubes
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 09:36
In a nutshell, the windscreen has to allow for 75% natural light to pass through. As has already been said, that'll be pretty much as it is as factory tinted. The windows forward of the B pillar need to allow 70% light through, so you will be able to get them tinted darker than factory, but not much. The rest you can get as dark as you like.

Slomo
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 13:38
well my car has past 5 different police checks on the windows. So I will stay with my tints :p

Jaseb77
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 13:57
C70 has standard volvo tints added tints

Behind B pillar 50%
Front pair 25%

I have been pulled before and tested and fronts are 40% total, £30 fine,
hey-ho

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m242/jasec70/Photo-0001.jpg

Wombatbomb
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 20:28
By the way, remember, if your window tints are illegal, you're driving without insurance ;)

snoop69
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 20:59
By the way, remember, if your window tints are illegal, you're driving without insurance ;)

Surely like most things,thats down to the discretion of the insurance
company if it hasnt contributed to an accident?

lutonmatt
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 21:12
Don't suppose you have a piccy of your car with the black wheels do you? I'm going to have a do at my wheels and saw a porsche 911 with black wheels while we were on holiday, it looked really smart and got me thinking.

cheers

here is my one with every thing tinted as it was a play if your wheels are diff email me a pic and i will do you car only takes a min

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii169/lutonmatt/0aa05370.jpg

pangster
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 21:23

unfortunately it's not..

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 10:27

Sorry, but that actually made me chuckle! :)

So, you're thinking that insurance companies don't try and find any reason for refusing to pay a claim?

My wife, until quite recently, was one of the duty managers of the motor claims call centre for Liverpool Victoria and below is exactly the kind of thing they are currently doing to save paying out on claims that they can avoid.

If someone were to try and make a claim then they usually send out someone to assess the vehicle. These assessors are not renowned for being myopic, so one of the first things they'll notice is the windows. At this point, they'll get them tested. Even if the tints are declared as a mod, the driver of a vehicle is still required to make sure it is road legal as part of the contract they make when taking out insurance (the insurance companies don't ask for % light transmission, they just know it's non-standard and charge you for it, but as the vehicle owner you are responsible for making the car road legal). If the windows fail the test, the vehicle is therefore not road legal. Which means your insurers consider your policy void as you've breached the contract. Can of worms = OPEN. Claim = NOT PAID. And if the accident is your fault and Plod get whiff of "driving without insurance" then you've just become a really easy target for the CPS.......

snoop69
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 11:10
Sorry, but that actually made me chuckle! :)

So, you're thinking that insurance companies don't try and find any reason for refusing to pay a claim?

I agree,they do try & worm their way out of making a claim but it doesnt
change the fact that it is down to them at the end of the day.

There are plenty of cars on peoples drive in various states of repair which
would be totally un-roadworthy but are still covered by insurance.

If you was in the middle of an engine swap & someone stole your car,you
would still be covered would you not?

The car could have tints & be parked up when a third party crashed into
it.The fact that it has tints doesnt mean it contributed to the accident.

jonno12
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 11:19
the best firm i have used in years is jd signs in southery near ely top blokes

V70R999
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 16:11
I agree in part but how many people who tint their windows tell the insurance company the car is modified? Very few, hence if a vehicle is examined following an accident they will say "see you later"

Certain forces clamp down very heavily on window tints and the fines at court of up to a grand are common. Its one of those things, you take your chance and if you get caught you have to accept it. I give out prohibitions regularly for it. Bottom line is excessive window tints are not safe due to the reduced visibilty. At night some people with tints can't see a thing.

I agree,they do try & worm their way out of making a claim but it doesnt
change the fact that it is down to them at the end of the day.

There are plenty of cars on peoples drive in various states of repair which
would be totally un-roadworthy but are still covered by insurance.

If you was in the middle of an engine swap & someone stole your car,you
would still be covered would you not?

The car could have tints & be parked up when a third party crashed into
it.The fact that it has tints doesnt mean it contributed to the accident.

Slomo
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 16:42
everything on my car is declared. All mods :)

Including window tints. I ahve had all my cars done and always will. It helps with security and privacy.

J

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 19:02
I agree in part but how many people who tint their windows tell the insurance company the car is modified?

I pay an extra £30 a year for having the windows back of the C pillar tinted on my estate :B_thumb:

MSc70t5
Thursday 28th August 2008, 18:15
Cheers for all this info, think I'll stick to the windows before the B' pillar and see about the insurance first.

Mark

richiemat
Thursday 28th August 2008, 18:50
well my car has past 5 different police checks on the windows. So I will stay with my tints :p

I recall seeing a Traffic Cops episode this year where somebody was stopped for their excessively tinted front windows and the Police had a handheld device to test the amount of light passing through them...I think it was called a Tint tester or something similar. Is this still the method of testing or is there another method?

Slomo
Thursday 28th August 2008, 21:49
My car has been tested with the magnet test and the light test. Passed on both.. Magnet test is funny though as my non tinted standard windscreen fails the test :p

J

V70R999
Friday 29th August 2008, 17:00
I recall seeing a Traffic Cops episode this year where somebody was stopped for their excessively tinted front windows and the Police had a handheld device to test the amount of light passing through them...I think it was called a Tint tester or something similar. Is this still the method of testing or is there another method?

Tintman device

V70R
Friday 29th August 2008, 17:31
just for further info on the front windows down our way, anything under 70% to 31% will get you a ticket and if its under 30% you'll get landed with £60 and three points. Some officers with the correct training can even make you remove the tint there and then.

pangster
Friday 29th August 2008, 17:32
My car has been tested with the magnet test and the light test. Passed on both.. Magnet test is funny though as my non tinted standard windscreen fails the test :p

J

the fact you've been stopped 5 times is reason enough for most people not to get tints done (on the front side windows) - as soon as you do you just become a magnet for police.. they automatically assume you have something to hide..

pangster
Friday 29th August 2008, 17:32
just for further info on the front windows down our way, anything under 70% to 31% will get you a ticket and if its under 30% you'll get landed with £60 and three points. Some officers with the correct training can even make you remove the tint there and then.

quite right! :)

Slomo
Friday 29th August 2008, 17:33
my front windows are 30% tint and my rear window and rear side windows are 60%

me being stopped 5 times actually has nothing to do with the tints. Modball rally stickers and the 2thumbs-up stickers on the car are the reasons...

J

V70R
Friday 29th August 2008, 17:40
In that case chap, it could cost you points. The windows on 2007 V70 T5 are 73% from the factory. VOSA are working very closely with some forces to target vehicles deemed to be in a 'dangerous condition'. Many reasons behind it, that Im sure have been covered. At the end of the day its upto everyone what they decide, but you'd struggle if it went to court.