PDA

View Full Version : Electrical mysteries

siggi
Monday 25th August 2008, 10:49
Recently my 850T5 seems to have started to develop a couple of worrying tendencies ....

First one .. on starting the ABS light will stay on ( which I could live with ) which somehow includes the indicators not working .

Second one - having waited for 5 hours for a tractor to tow me out of a muddy field masquerading as a car park last weekend , having had the hazards on sporadically and the wipers / radio , Just at the point of being towed and all electrics cut out so that on turning ignition on there were no dashboard indicator lights at all . After repeated turning key frantically I bumped it in gear several times and something persuaded it all back into life and we got started .........

Any clues that save me going through the entire system....

siggi
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 09:16
What nobody ....surely someone out there has had a similar or am I unique?

badger1980
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 13:22
I had a rover do something very similar to that and it turned out it was the amplifier ontop of the alternator

dooby
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 22:00
Hiya,

I think the ignition switch failing is a popular cause for strange behaviour like this, worth a search?

Cheers, Pete

Tomcat
Wednesday 27th August 2008, 23:00
Defo sounds like the ignition switch, next time it plays up just waggle the keys a little bit in the ignition, if the faults go away then replace the switch, easy peasy.

siggi
Friday 29th August 2008, 13:19
That seems to be the one as you suggested - is the switch reasonably easy to replace as I have found an 850 spares eBay guy with one for sale??