PDA

View Full Version : ABS and Tracs off light

volvokid
Sunday 24th August 2008, 15:03
Took the car out for a drive yesterday it’s the first time its been out since March (that’s a lie the car went in to get its engine and gearbox oil changed in April) I knew there would be squeaks and rattles I did about 100miles. The brakes were a bit shaky and so was the steering but all this stopped after about 50 miles or so. The ABS and Tracs off light turned on I’m guessing the Tracs light came on because it works through the ABS sensor, the light stays on for a bit then turns off its done it a few times. Where’s the sensor at? Could it need a clean?

Alan M
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 22:23
Sounds like th start of a dying abs controller. You can bring it back to life with a soldering iron if you feel confident enough. http://www.freewebs.com/dacvolvo/absrepair.htm Look at this for info. Be very careful when prizing the controller apart.

lutonmatt
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 22:39
there are sensors on all 4 wheels only the front two work the trac worth a clean

MisterC1501
Sunday 7th September 2008, 06:25
This will be the ABS controller module which is a common "age related" problem on our cars. Use the linky for DACVolvo above........it worked for me and so far has been okay (repaired last year some time)

volvokid
Sunday 7th September 2008, 22:07
This will be the ABS controller module which is a common "age related" problem on our cars. Use the linky for DACVolvo above........it worked for me and so far has been okay (repaired last year some time)

Yeah i'll give it ago i'll take the ECU into work and have a bash at it. I'll put a clear non conformal coating over the board after to kep the moisture out

LesRED850R
Monday 8th September 2008, 06:56
Yeah i'll give it ago i'll take the ECU into work and have a bash at it. I'll put a clear non conformal coating over the board after to kep the moisture out Hello ! Wish i had this link a few years ago as mine went at 100,000 kilomtres ! Now whats this 'coating ' you are putting on the board and can any-one get it and apply ? Thanks Les m.

volvokid
Monday 8th September 2008, 15:07
Hi les its just a protective coating I’m sure the board has it on it and will need to be removed before soldering, its not a must to put back on but it gives a bit more protection, the coating we use works better if its left to set under a UV light.

splatt
Monday 15th September 2008, 11:52
Hi
I just done this fix after mine packed up while sitting in traffic. ( reckon the heat got too much for it and since then the lights have been off and on).
It seems most people prise off the retaining washers from the outside, simple alternative to this is use a small watchmakers screwdriver and prise off gently from the inner retaining bits, then they can be re used on assembley and punched on with a 7mm socket (or similar).
Took 2/12 hours and works fine. :)