PDA

View Full Version : Private plate help

stainesy
Sunday 24th August 2008, 13:40
thinking of getting a personal number plate.
have found a few that start with T5R what is the law on plates?
mine is an M reg will i be able to use a plate that starts with T?
do i have to have a plate that is M or lower? or can i use any plate?

hd9584
Sunday 24th August 2008, 13:55
Hi, you won't be able to have a T plate prefix reg on a 94/95 model year car it would have to start with an M or preceeding letter. Best bet would be something ending in TSR.

Jimmie
Sunday 24th August 2008, 13:55
do i have to have a plate that is M or lower/yes.
Any site that you visit will tell you that but personally i would only buy from the dvla because there cheaper.

y2blade
Sunday 24th August 2008, 14:33
have you got money burning a hole in your pocket or something?

i could think of better things to spend it on than a private plate

PNuT
Sunday 24th August 2008, 18:03

quite..... like a bigger turbo :D

or that 7 seat conversion ;)

stainesy
Sunday 24th August 2008, 18:07
may be coming into sum cash soon so may be getting all that stuff. yeah it was the dvla site i have been looking at. £250 all in for some good plates there. and yeah did want t5R but now i no i cant i will be looking at a TSR plate

BruceT
Sunday 24th August 2008, 20:38
I'd personally only buy from DVLA.

You can not make your car look any newier, ie putting a T reg plate on.

You can anything lower alphabetically then "M"

One thing that is a pain is if you change your car (like me 4 times in 18 months) its £105 to retain the plate which takes 2-3 weeks and then you have 1 year to assign it again which is a bit of pain when changing cars as you cant sell it untill you retain the plate and then get the retention letter back and then the new V5 with the standard reg on can take a further 3-6 weeks.

Other than that the personal plate in my opinion is good as its the only thing you'll put on your car that will not use money.

Its weird though, some people hate them, others like them.

Torch S70R
Sunday 24th August 2008, 21:09
i have one on retention at the moment but i'm going to wait until the car passes its MOT until i make a decision on whether or not to assign it or keep it on retention
as stated buy direct from dvla and you cant lose :)

t5 stealth
Monday 25th August 2008, 12:05
i got mine from a member on here lol

entwisi
Monday 25th August 2008, 20:31

heh, I made money on mine :D

I had been keeping my eye open for cars with plates ending 1 ANE (names Ian E......) and after about 18 monthe saw a ****e old rover for sale in my local town for £250. Bought it, transferred the plate and sold the car for £350 :D, £20 in pocket paid for the dodgy spaced plates being made up :D

I've never been questioned or pulled by plod even when they have followed me. I think as long as you keep to standard font and don't try altering stuff 11 being mde into H etc) then they don't bother.

badger1980
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 01:50
Even better idea live in new zealand and u can have whatever u want aslong as its not abusive or offensive

Baj
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 01:57
Dodgy spacing will get you an MOT fail.
Daodgy spacing with dubious fonts and creative use of fixing screws WILL get you pulled. Get pulled a few times and they will take the plate from you.

T5RSteve
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 12:21
I am after getting a private plate too as it has been recognised a few times and I'm not always sure for the right reasons!

Only problem I have with TSR at the end is it looks like it's short for TooSeR, I find that kind of funny now so after new brake pads, turbo hose/pipe/whatever it's called and a panel filter that tops my list at the moment.

Not telling you which one I fancied tho, just in case!!

Torch S70R
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 12:53
Dodgy spacing will get you an MOT fail.
Daodgy spacing with dubious fonts and creative use of fixing screws WILL get you pulled. Get pulled a few times and they will take the plate from you.

are you sure about that m8?
i knew that you get a fine first and if you dont get it fixed you get a fine and 3 points on your licence but i dont think they have the power to take the plate from you being that it's your property. They may have the power to take the private plate off your car and get it registered back under its original plate but the private plate would still be your own property?

PNuT
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 13:19
are you sure about that m8?
i knew that you get a fine first and if you dont get it fixed you get a fine and 3 points on your licence but i dont think they have the power to take the plate from you being that it's your property. They may have the power to take the private plate off your car and get it registered back under its original plate but the private plate would still be your own property?

Offences
It is an offence to alter, rearrange or misrepresent letters or numbers in order to form names or words or in such a way that
makes it difficult to read the registration number. Characters must not be moved from one block to the other e.g. AB51 DVL
must not be displayed as AB5 1DVL or AB 51DVL. Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates may FAIL the MoT
test. The police can also issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders are liable to a MAXIMUM
FINE of £1,000 and in some cases the mark may be withdrawn.
For vehicles with new or replacement number plates fitted after 31.8.2001, “3-line” number plates are no longer permitted.

hope this helps

Torch S70R
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 20:37
cheers :)
so bit like some guy driving down the road talking on 3 mobiles at the same time ;)
extremely unlikely but possible :)

entwisi
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 21:48
Mines been through 3 MOTs with them on so far!

t5 stealth
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 22:00
mine has 1 digit moved slightly,
iv been followed by police a few times but they havnt said anything to me,
i havnt altered the letters/numbers.
& it still reads fine,im guessing the onboard reg plate readers (cant remember wot they call it)can read it or they would of let me know about it.

i do have a set of original standard plates for it that i fit when its mot time,no point trying to give them something else to fail on lol

Baj
Thursday 28th August 2008, 00:21
Mine is Letter DigitLetterLetterLetter. I failed the last MOT on it.
Plod dont seem bothered but I am sure they would use it if they needed to should they pull me for something else.

ANPR is everywhere now. Dodgy spacing can trigger it.