PDA

View Full Version : Which spark plugs...

Dacvolvo
Sunday 24th August 2008, 05:18
... should I buy this week for a 1998 T5 with RICA 310bhp?

bonelorry
Sunday 24th August 2008, 09:42

ngk bkr7eix iridiums id say! theyre a very good plug

mine uses the slightly colder bkr8eix in my 850 but mine has 19t etc... so the 7's will be fine in yours :smile:

lutonmatt
Sunday 24th August 2008, 13:48
i got to replace mine going to use volvo ones
1 my mate works at volvo so will get them cheaper
and 2 he said they have a lot of t5's in that use other plugs and they cant cope
few months after they have been fitted they break down

bonelorry
Sunday 24th August 2008, 17:05
i got to replace mine going to use volvo ones
1 my mate works at volvo so will get them cheaper
and 2 he said they have a lot of t5's in that use other plugs and they cant cope
few months after they have been fitted they break down

im sorry but your mates talking cobblers but then most do when they work for a dealer!

theres nothing wrong with volvo plugs but my ngk iridiums have done over 10000 miles since the 19T and custom re-map where done without a single issue.

the volvo ones are ok for a stock or very mildy tuned car but wouldnt be able to cope with a re-mapped car running higher boost levels, things would get too hot which is why a colder grade plug is essential to help the combustion process.

also avoid champion plugs at all costs they are tish and have been known to drop to bits.

irf
Sunday 24th August 2008, 18:07
the volvo ones are ok for a stock or very mildy tuned car but wouldnt be able to cope with a re-mapped car running higher boost levels, things would get too hot which is why a colder grade plug is essential to help the combustion process.

i'm not gonna say the volvo plugs are or aren't the ones to go for but pretty sure Russ has them in his car(over 500bhp). would that fit into "a re-mapped car running higher boost levels"? i also personally know 2 people who are running 350 ish real bhp and they're on volvo plugs.

pangster
Sunday 24th August 2008, 18:15

i'm not sure what the Volvo plugs retail at in the UK - but you could probably get the complete tune up kit from FCP Groton for not a lot more:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/19047/nm/Volvo_850_V70_S70_Turbo_Tune_Up_Kit_Cap_Rotor_Plug s_Wires/category_id/327

Or the plugs on their own (Volvo OEM):

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/9291/nm/1998_2002_Volvo_C70_Coupe_Genuine_Volvo_Spark_Plug _Set/category_id/225

HTH

PNuT
Sunday 24th August 2008, 18:51
i'm not gonna say the volvo plugs are or aren't the ones to go for but pretty sure Russ has them in his car(over 500bhp). would that fit into "a re-mapped car running higher boost levels"? i also personally know 2 people who are running 350 ish real bhp and they're on volvo plugs.

i was thinking the same & im sure russ runs the standard volvo plugs..... my car running a 19T also seems to cope.....

denso plugs are also quite good afaik

Rufe
Sunday 24th August 2008, 21:40
I have Rica 310 in my 1999 C70 T5 and havent had a problem with genuine plugs (had the car for 2.5 years, changed plugs when i first had it, havent changed them since, but when i get round to the next service they are being replaced with genuine ones again.)

i'm not sure what the Volvo plugs retail at in the UK

In case it helps...

GENUINE VOLVO SPARK PLUGS:
Part Number: 8692071
Retail Price: £41.37 inc vat
Our Price: £28.95 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £1.62 Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded Delivery
Availability: In Stock

Simon

pangster
Sunday 24th August 2008, 21:47
I have Rica 310 in my 1999 C70 T5 and havent had a problem with genuine plugs (had the car for 2.5 years, changed plugs when i first had it, havent changed them since, but when i get round to the next service they are being replaced with genuine ones again.)

In case it helps...

GENUINE VOLVO SPARK PLUGS:
Part Number: 8692071
Retail Price: £41.37 inc vat
Our Price: £28.95 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £1.62 Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded Delivery
Availability: In Stock

Simon

that's a good price Rufe! :B_thumb: can't understand why people would use anything other than Volvo items given how well they perform. :)

readview
Sunday 24th August 2008, 22:54
Genuine every time.I've fitted these in Rica'd cars many times and never had any issues.

bonelorry
Monday 25th August 2008, 11:56
i stand corrected on the volvo plugs as i didnt think they would fair too well under extreme conditions, mine was fitted with the ngk iridiums when it was custom mapped and i would have thought so for a reason.

anyway on that note buy whichever plugs you want, if you want the standard volvo turbo plugs then go for them but i doubt you could go far wrong with the NGK iridiums either!

the main reason i go on about the NGK plugs is because i personally know a chap called trevor langfield who is the owner of "wizards of nos" he carried some extreme testing on plugs a few years back and the NGK plugs came out best everytime, the champion, bosch and other plugs couldnt cope!

denso ik22 plugs are good but they would cost well over £40 for 5, the ngk iridiums can be had for a similar price to the standard volvo plugs which is why id go for them personally.

paullus
Monday 25th August 2008, 14:17
I agree with cgrextreme. I've been using the NGK BKR7EIX Iridiums for some years in my tuned Audi and my RICA'd S70 2.5T. The Audi used to eat Double Coppers but the Iridiums would easily do 20,000 miles. I replaced the last lot in my S70 after 18,000 miles. There was no problem with them but I wanted to be on the safe side before driving to the South of France. I also find rotor arm and distributor cap life much improved for some reason or other with these plugs in both cars.
Cheers.

Engineer
Monday 25th August 2008, 16:04
I agree with cgrextreme. I've been using the NGK BKR7EIX Iridiums for some years in my tuned Audi and my RICA'd S70 2.5T. The Audi used to eat Double Coppers but the Iridiums would easily do 20,000 miles. I replaced the last lot in my S70 after 18,000 miles. There was no problem with them but I wanted to be on the safe side before driving to the South of France. I also find rotor arm and distributor cap life much improved for some reason or other with these plugs in both cars.
Cheers.

I'm with you guys Iridium plugs require less votage to jump the gap (approx 1/3 less but depending on system) hence less wear and loading on the rest of the ignition system which can come in handy when your running your tuned Volvo hard, no need for smaller power sucking gaps which some peeps use either, the Denso ones are the best IMHO although NGK recon their ones last longer due to a slightly bigger tip :)

Jimmie
Monday 25th August 2008, 18:42
But who badge engineer's them for volvo?.

Terminator
Friday 12th September 2008, 17:38
But who badge engineer's them for volvo?.

Bosch and Beru according to Euro Car Parts.

Doesn't seem to be much of a saving so I shall still be getting the Volvo branded ones from Rufe.

lutonmatt
Thursday 25th September 2008, 19:56
just got a new set of plugs for mine nice new volvo ones
changed them as they needed changing they was bad and the middle one was loose

so did them today and did the fuel filter that was bad as well dont know when that was changed and put of high octane boost stuff in it as its been not running 100% the last few days so i would service it

on the way home what a diffance so much power there again so needed doing

Dacvolvo
Friday 26th September 2008, 00:53
Oh - ment to say; I ordered a set of genuine Volvo plugs from Rufe and they were at my door very quickly. 10 minutes later fitted and running perfectly.

:D