PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Renewal OR Smaller Wheels ???

cameron
Sunday 24th August 2008, 00:16
Ive got the 17" Tethys on my 855 but since putting these on and going for a bit of a blast ive noticed a rubbing noise from the rear, it seems that when cornering hard the wheels are catching in the rear arches.

Do i need new suspension or smaller wheels ??? bearing in mind the wolfrace i had were the same size and they never rubbed once! This was also while i was in the car myself and i wasnt carrying any weight.

Ive just put new tyres on all round and dont fancy replacing the rear every couple of months cause ive wore through them!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tomcat
Sunday 24th August 2008, 00:18
What tyres do you have on them?..

cameron
Sunday 24th August 2008, 00:28
Eh......Eh......Eh........

215-45-17's Khumo's, brand new!

Same as was on the Wolf's.

Tomcat
Sunday 24th August 2008, 00:56
Hmmm, you shouldn't have any clearance problems with that size, I hate to say it but it could either be the rear axle bushes or the rear shocks.

nobananas
Sunday 24th August 2008, 14:57
I was running exactly the same size tyres on my Volans and had no clearance problems whatsoever.

cameron
Sunday 24th August 2008, 15:44
Its only when the car " leans " quite a lot, maybe a rear strut would sort it out, if i can put one on with having the 7 seat conversion in place!

Its always in the up position, its hardly ever lay flat, i think the only mod would have to be longer bolts to accomodate the seatbelts and the brace mounting, if its possible?

BruceT
Sunday 24th August 2008, 16:08
Could be offset?

cameron
Sunday 24th August 2008, 17:13
Others have had Tethys without any problems though!

thunderace
Sunday 24th August 2008, 19:32
Have tried many different tyres on my tethys, only ones not to rub at all on the rear were rainsport 215/45's, but slight. or more, with all at the front. I have found amount of rub varies with the shape of the tyre shoulder. From just a slight buffing effect of arch inner to missing rubber.
This is on my car, knackered shox and duff rear bushes. Has been better on the front since new front bushes but still rubs, but currently on 225/45's. These are conti sports and only just polish the rear liners. P6000's are better but crap for grip.
Only ever noticed a rear rubbing noise when cornering hard on a very bumpy surface, so I would look at my shox if I were you.

PNuT
Sunday 24th August 2008, 19:52
Could be offset?

probably

readview
Sunday 24th August 2008, 22:50
I did get rubbing on the rear n/s under hard cornering with mine when i fitted orestes (same size as tethys) with 215/45x17 avon zzr's,i decided that the r/n/s axle bush was allowing a small amount of lateral movement in the axle under load and renewed the bush.This cured the problem.The shocker will not be the problem as shocks only absorb imperfections in the road surface,it's the spring that defines the ride height and the amount of body roll.You may have a worn n/s spring but i suspect the axle bush may be the cause.

cameron
Monday 25th August 2008, 18:08
Cheers Adam, i'll explore a bit more.

Niles
Monday 25th August 2008, 19:57
215/40/17's required!!!!! Tethys on my car have those & theres no rubbing at the rear!!