PDA

View Full Version : Coolant problem

stainesy
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 16:48
ok this is anoying now.
my water level kept going down as it was leaking from a hairline crack in my expansion tank.
have replaced the tank and no problems. just took my car out and drove it hard for a wile parked up and heard hissing.
when ever i drive my car hard when i park and turn engine off i get a quiet hiss from the expansion tank cap and if i drive realy hard i loose water from it when ever i leave car after driving hard.
why is this?

the temp stays where it should be and never over heats even i littel bit.

why am i always getting pressure release from expansion tank cap?
its a new cap

shaun850
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 16:52
To me it sound's like you need to bleed to system more.

If it still does it try another new cap, there was a seal in the new cap right?

jonno12
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 16:53
dunno mate sounds a bit of an odd one id wack a bottle of radweld in there and see if that works i had a leak on the rad and worked on there

stainesy
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 16:54
To me it sound's like you need to bleed to system more.

If it still does it try another new cap, there was a seal in the new cap right?
well yeah i asume the new cap comes with a seal in it. its the new green cap i got for it.

shaun850
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 16:55
dunno mate sounds a bit of an odd one id wack a bottle of radweld in there and see if that works i had a leak on the rad and worked on there

I wouldn't... Bit of a bodge for what could be a very minor problem.

jonno12
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 16:56
true if the hiss is coming from the cap

stainesy
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 16:57
i had a brand new radiator fitted about a month ago.
its realy anoying. just seems that everytime i drive it hard and park the car i get a hiss from the cap.
doing my head in. cant figure out what it could be

jonno12
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 16:58
could be a faulty cap then

jonno12
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 16:58
your not having much luck are you lately mate

stainesy
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 16:59
i thought my last cap was faulty so i got a new one now this one does the same

stainesy
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 17:00
your not having much luck are you lately mate
no im not. this is the last time i buy a volvo.
volvo,s are the most reliable cars ever and last for ever.
who ever said that was full of £££££

jonno12
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 17:02
lmao be carefull lol mine sems to be fine now ive shut that tappet noise up took it to raf wyton and run it up the runway as i know a few people there 155 no worries did use a bit of water but oil stayed where it was cant beat the performance

stainesy
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 17:04
oh so does yours use water when driven hard?

jonno12
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 17:42
only a bit but nothing to bad i dont get a hissing but if i fill it up to the max sign it always goes down to half way and stays there

stainesy
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 17:56
yeah thats where mine keeps going down to. i keep topping it up to the max level and everytime i drive it hard it goes down to half way. is that normal then?

jonno12
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 17:57
id say so as mine ive topped up 3 times now and always goes to the same level so i just keep an eye on it

stainesy
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 17:59
oh right thank god for that iv been thinking there was sumit rong as mine is the same.
if you didnt top it up do you think it would go down lower? how often have you been topping it up?

jonno12
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 18:02
the last time i did mine was 3 weeks ago b4 the run and ive towed my caravan with it aswell and it hasnt moved off the half way

stainesy
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 18:20
oh yeah mine is about every few weeks to and mine does get driven hard so must be normal then.
cheers buddy

gtiteen
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 18:28
im scared of putting radweld in older cars... who knows what gunks in there already dont want things getting clogged.. i may be completely wrong.

My subaru loses water when left sitting for a while or after getting really hot only. Apparently a hairline crack in the radiator can do it... although youve had a new radiator?

As long as it doesnt drop below 1/2 way im sure youll be fine. Just keep an eye on it.

Dave

shaun850
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 18:32
no im not. this is the last time i buy a volvo.
volvo,s are the most reliable cars ever and last for ever.
who ever said that was full of £££££

Well I have had mine a year and have not replaced any NON service Item.

Neither have I even had to top up the water a single time!

And yes I drive it hard sometimes, 1/4 mile etc... but with the correct maintanence and love they are super reliable!

You do find the odd car though that turns into money pit one thing after another etc etc

stainesy
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 19:37
You do find the odd car though that turns into money pit one thing after another etc etc

yes and looks like i found one.

PNuT
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 19:57
has the red water level light come on? if it hasnt leave it alone!!

stainesy
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 20:12
no the water light hasnt come on why?

jonno12
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 20:38
im scared of putting radweld in older cars... who knows what gunks in there already dont want things getting clogged.. i may be completely wrong.

My subaru loses water when left sitting for a while or after getting really hot only. Apparently a hairline crack in the radiator can do it... although youve had a new radiator?

As long as it doesnt drop below 1/2 way im sure youll be fine. Just keep an eye on it.

Dave

ah i made sure i flushed it twice b4 i put it in

jonno12
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 20:39
normally means a headgasket mate

polredt5
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 20:45
I will second that.

gtiteen
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 20:49

Me!? I put some of that dye in it a while ago when i was worried, didnt pick up any exhaust gasses... Oil clean, no steam in exhaust!?

Dave

y2blade
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 21:02
if it's staying halfway between MAX and MIN isnt that where its supposed to be?

i'd say keep an eye on it and ONLY top it up and investigate further IF it gets any nearer to the MIN line

PNuT
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 21:03
no the water light hasnt come on why?

because they like to find there own level.... you keep putting it in & it will keep pissing it out! if the low water level light starts to come on then deal with it.....

min has sat just above the minimum mark for the last two years on both our cars.....

PNuT
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 21:04
if it's staying halfway between MAX and MIN isnt that where its supposed to be?

:B_thumb:

AndyJudge
Sunday 24th August 2008, 14:00
Doesn't the level drop once the system gets pressurised ? I only ever check ours when its cold & ignore the levels until I depressurise the system.

Ours never moves since the expansion bottle was replaced.

y2blade
Sunday 24th August 2008, 14:49
has the red water level light come on? if it hasnt leave it alone!!

do all 850's have a low coolant level warning light ????

shaun850
Sunday 24th August 2008, 15:26
do all 850's have a low coolant level warning light ????

yup

y2blade
Sunday 24th August 2008, 20:41
cheers :)

martybelfastt5
Monday 25th August 2008, 12:24
could this maybe be a problem with the bottle itself??? couldnt be hard to source one in here,,,,

Alan M
Monday 25th August 2008, 16:49
There are two types of cap isn't there? Green and grey. I thought one (the green one) released a little pressure from the system and the grey one didn't. I may be wrong though.

Al115
Monday 25th August 2008, 16:58
As far as I know, the grey ones fail all the time and are usually replaced with the green. Certainly whenever I've had a problem with a cap leaking it's been a grey one...

y2blade
Monday 25th August 2008, 17:19
mine is the grey type and so is the one on my otherhalfs 850 20v and no problems with either of them

stainesy
Monday 25th August 2008, 18:21
i have both caps the green and the grey.
the green one seems to be always releasing pressure and the grey one doesnt release any presure.
i have put the grey one back on as i dont trust the green one
i have done as told i filled up to max and let it find its own level.
its seems to have stopped just above the min mark on the tank.
that normal?

PNuT
Monday 25th August 2008, 18:24
i have both caps the green and the grey.
the green one seems to be always releasing pressure and the grey one doesnt release any presure.
i have put the grey one back on as i dont trust the green one
i have done as told i filled up to max and let it find its own level.
its seems to have stopped just above the min mark on the tank.
that normal?

yep, i filled mine up yesterday as i had the turbo off.... today when i checked the water & oil the water was about 0.75-1cm over the min mark......

the wifes car sits very slightly higher than that, but not much

stainesy
Monday 25th August 2008, 18:51
yeah thats about where it is. its just about 1 cm above the min line

y2blade
Monday 25th August 2008, 18:57
yep, i filled mine up yesterday as i had the turbo off.... today when i checked the water & oil the water was about 0.75-1cm over the min mark......

the wifes car sits very slightly higher than that, but not much

what he said^^

just keep an eye on it and only worry IF it goes BELOW the MIN line

Alan M
Monday 25th August 2008, 20:29
I'd stick the green one back on. Its the way that they were designed that releases the pressure. The green ones are the newer type I think, so thats why Volvo sold it to you to replace the grey one. You can't go wrong really with genuine parts from the dealer.