PDA

View Full Version : Legal bike rack????

tomtyres
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 14:55
I bought this from Halfrauds and they said it was ideal for my car,
Do you think this is legal?
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k157/tomtyres/holiday08005.jpg
It does cover the rear indicators but you can quite clearly see them through the spokes!!
Any Ideas? :confused:

jonno12
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 15:10
looks ok to mate

snoop69
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 16:37
It does cover the rear indicators but you can quite clearly see them through the spokes!!

Id guess that if you did get stopped due to the indicators being
partially covered,you would be advised to fit a light board.

mitsy
Saturday 23rd August 2008, 23:40
I would think the police would be more interested to why your bonnet wasnt shut

chewy
Sunday 24th August 2008, 00:05
The bikes seem a bit high really, my Dads got an 850 with a bike rack that bolts onto a plate behind the towbar, the bikes don't stick above the roof much.

I'd be worried about the amount of drag the bikes were causing and strain on the rack, your mpg will drop loads too!

gazjacko
Monday 25th August 2008, 00:02
The bikes seem a bit high really, my Dads got an 850 with a bike rack that bolts onto a plate behind the towbar, the bikes don't stick above the roof much.

I'd be worried about the amount of drag the bikes were causing and strain on the rack, your mpg will drop loads too!

you can always ride home if you run out of fuel!!!
stand 25 metres back and test the lights from the perspective of another driver (you'll need a friend or incredibly long legs!),
Light board would take away any doubt but I'd give it a go as you say it does show through the spokes.

AndyJudge
Monday 25th August 2008, 08:25
I'd go for a Lightboard anyway, better to be fully safe than sorry, imagine getting hit from behind & then the 3rd parties insurance playing the 'Rear Lights were Obstructed' card.

Rufe
Monday 25th August 2008, 18:08
halfords telling you they are legal certainly doesnt mean they are legal, and wouldnt hold up as a valid excuse if there was a claim of any kind.

I would say a trailer board would be needed if any lamps are obscured at all.

Volvos genuine bike racks are up on the roof, or they do a version fitted on the tow ball, but has a built in trailer board.

PNuT
Monday 25th August 2008, 18:27
volvo racks are made by thule.....

Rufe
Monday 25th August 2008, 23:32
volvo racks are made by thule.....

correct, but they dont make one for volvo that looks anything like the one shown above.

PNuT
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 04:59
correct, but they dont make one for volvo that looks anything like the one shown above.

i quite agree ;)

big fan volvo
Tuesday 26th August 2008, 08:25
We were pulled over by police on M1 with similar arrangement. Very interested in car, but now use light board. Lights have to be unobscured!

woz
Friday 5th September 2008, 21:57
I bought this from Halfrauds and they said it was ideal for my car,
Do you think this is legal?
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k157/tomtyres/holiday08005.jpg

Halfords are tossers - probably a spotty teen who's only ever driven a BMX. On the pavement!
Go see your local bike or triathlon club. Get good advice from them what knows!!
Even us here arent experts unless we state our qulifications - its all hot air.

Good luck!!

PNuT
Sunday 7th September 2008, 15:30
Halfords are tossers - probably a spotty teen who's only ever driven a BMX. On the pavement!
Go see your local bike or triathlon club. Get good advice from them what knows!!
Even us here arent experts unless we state our qulifications - its all hot air.

Good luck!!

so what can someone at a local bike or triathlon club say that i cant?

are there qualifications in bike racks?

snoop69
Sunday 7th September 2008, 15:54
so what can someone at a local bike or triathlon club say that i cant?

are there qualifications in bike racks?

They may not have qualifications in bike racks but they may know
whether or not your bikes are safe with that kind of setup :smile:

PNuT
Sunday 7th September 2008, 16:28
They may not have qualifications in bike racks but they may know
whether or not your bikes are safe with that kind of setup :smile:

i still dont follow the logic that someone at a tri.bike club will have more experience than someone on here..... or dont we ride bikes on here?

snoop69
Sunday 7th September 2008, 16:53
i still dont follow the logic that someone at a tri.bike club will have more experience than someone on here..... or dont we ride bikes on here?

Im sure you understand what i meant bud.

Someone from a bike club will more than likely have more experience
regarding bike racks than a spotty youth who cant even drive.

PNuT
Sunday 7th September 2008, 17:21
Im sure you understand what i meant bud.

Someone from a bike club will more than likely have more experience
regarding bike racks than a spotty youth who cant even drive.

its not so much what you said, its what woz said! hot air!! im just trying to work out why experienced cyclist via a volvo forum should be considered hot air & a tri/bike club should be listened too? would i give a different view in a different location?